01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek drinking thread 21 to 24 June

If anyone has started one of these please merge…

Midsummer and I can finally come over all curmudgeon and say “Nights are drawing in now…”

And sad to relate a biggish Rhône seems quite manageable given the weather.

Delicious wine, all sorts of nooks and crannys of flavour, excellent length and needs and was given lots of air (since this morning), still much more to give but good now and another fine advert for 2015 vintage in France.

I will now go out and perform the ceremonial solstice dance a la Wicker Man.

27 Likes

24 bottles each of the 2015 & 2016 resting in reserves. :open_mouth: :rofl:
And 9 halves of the '15 from a case of 12.
I did ship 3 1/2’s and I tried one.
It was infanticide of the first order, and I hang my head in shame.
Given your experience, I will search out the other two. :blush: :dragon:

4 Likes

So I’m afraid the remainder of that Burgundy went down the sink :frowning: it was really quite unpleasant on day three!

And so I opened a lovely bottle of easy drinking fruity pleasure:

This delivers plenty of value at £4.95 for the half bottle. I guess sometimes I need to stick to what I know I like!

20 Likes

Needed a quick-action antidote to a 3-hour Teams conference, so opened this delicious Cerasuolo di Vittoria from Planeta:

We had previous vintages of this wine, and it never disappoints. Pretty pale cerise hue in the glass, the nose has notes of wild berries, cherries, a spicy chilli note, dried herbs and a dusty gravel sort of note (nothing scientific about this note, I realise).

On the palate it continues the theme of crunchy red fruit - wild strawberries, sour cherries and pomegranate, with supporting acts of savoury dried herbs and ash (the kind you get from properly charred BBQ fodder). Acidity is positively zinging and tannins are very much a background affair and are rather gravelly in texture.

It’s exuberant and ever-so-quaffable but also offers an interesting mix of the fruity and the herbal. Dinner is duck livers pappardelle, which should hopefully go nicely with it.

Conference receding from memory at the speed of light… :grinning: :wine_glass:

27 Likes

My wife away visiting her sister in Bordeaux ,home alone with Lucca the dog, I knock up a lazy Quorn sausage pasta with some Rose Harissa and this Nierport red.
The wine has eucalyptus and camphor on the nose , dense black fruits and great acidity which is good as I have ten and a magnum so will keep, but only if I can resist drinking any of it’s siblings. The label is also a treat graphically telling an ancient Portuguese fable , hence the cuvée’s name. Have a good week .

20 Likes

Great stuff! May I ask where you got it from?

Wine in Black currently.

https://www.dbmwines.co.uk/wines/107565

Opened a bottle of Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Riesling Spatlese 2010 to sip in front of the football. Acacia honey on the nose, very long and with a spicy complexity. Everything is perfectly in balance here, so much flavour in such a featherlight package!

20 Likes

I can’t believe that a three hour Teams meeting is of any benefit at all. Surely most sane people have started doing something else after 30minutes.

The antidote looks divine - Planeta make some super wines.

5 Likes

Oooo, I’ve never thought of using quorn sausages in a pasta sauce. Hmmm. Must try that!

To be fair, it was a ‘conference’… Which is a weird experience online.

I can’t speak for other colleagues, but I was on this forum :grinning:

12 Likes

Works a treat when you need a quick meal Mike. Can recommend the Nierport too.

1 Like

And that… is why I went freelance 10+ years ago. Too many pointless meetings & conferences. And that joy of joy for every manager… staff reviews. Such a waste of time and energy - still makes me cross even now !

3 hours though… jeeze… hope that wine is a good one.

3 Likes

Best bit of ‘management’ advice I had, was: keep a report to one side of A4 - because that is the most anyone will ever read or remember.

4 Likes

Had this last night after getting back from work late. Had to rustle up a meal and find a wine all within the space of 40 minutes so as not to miss the begining of the England game.

Imagine my disquiet when I realised my pending shelves contained no reds; all of my stock was still in the wine fridge. Schoolboy error. But TWS delivered on Monday didn’t they ? Ah still in the box Yay.

Serendipity / lucky dip guided me towards this Ksara old vine carignan and I thought what the hell; slightly concerned it was too young. But absolutely not - it’s a belter and far too good for mid week quaffing really.

Not only is it ready, it’s a cornucopia of flavours… Milk chocolate, liquorice, blueberry, fennel, green pepper (in a good way). Hence disagreeing with TWS TN’s.

It demonstrated enormous restraint not to polish it off but my curiosity as to its day 2 performance won the day.

Pity the match didn’t really deserve it.

26 Likes

Tonight we ate grilled Hake with a white sweet potato and scallion mash surrounded by a sauce of morels, peated whiskey( Coonamara in this instance) and balsamic vinegar.

After my lazy Tuesday this was a blast and well suited a co-operative Pecorino from Torri , with a sweet core, a mineral agumes overlay and a long dry finish. We like the Torri Cantine’s other BIBs too the Pinot Grigio being another hit. It’s our dirty secret!

20 Likes

Lyriakis Vidiano 2019, an under a tenner bin end.

Stone fruit, on both smell and taste and with a slight bitterness which refreshes the finish. Really not complex but does what it should - which is to remind me of good times in the Eastern Med on holiday.

16 Likes

I had a bit of a surprise earlier this evening. I was looking at the bottles in my fridge and spotted a Coche-Bizouard Chardonnay from 2013. Not sure where it came from. Anyway, on close examination of the bottle I could tell that it would be delicious today and tomorrow but was clearly going to fall off a cliff on Friday or Saturday. How? It’s just a gift!

So out it came, and delicious it is. A bit like a slightly detuned chablis. Lemon, fresh apricot, green apple, even perhaps a hint of toffee and caramel. Very restrained, perhaps a tiny bit austere. Proving a good companion to a salmon stir-fry. I suspect it came from some past Waitrose offer, but I’m not sure. Just happy I got to it at such a critical time!

16 Likes

I had some wine watching Hungary go down fighting. Such a delicious wine (for me). I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a marmite wine.

25 Likes

After two days of restraint this went down all too easily yesterday with some pork, fennel and apricot koftas, flatbreads, couscous and salads…

…a relatively pale colour for PG. Musky pear and apricot fruit, orange zest, nutmeg and a pastry-like note on the nose. Smoky, squishy pear and nectarine fruit, baking spices, a touch of RS and a slightly oily mouth coating texture on tasting. Notably fresh acidity provided plenty of cut to balance and also left it tasting drier than it probably is. Light on its feet with a refreshingly fruity finish it was thoroughly enjoyed.

19 Likes