01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread [2 to 5 March 2020]

midweek-drinks

Our usual Sunday dinner was disrupted so Monday night we enjoyed this with some chicken.

This is an excellent wine I’ve bought a few times. Would like to try alongside a decent Chablis for which it is a ringer, albeit with a bit more brighter fruit and a hint of oak.

Mr Schaal is equally good in Alsace.

Weekend drinking thread [Feb 28 - Mar 01 2020]

Hope you’re OK with me moving your post to start this week’s ‘Midweek’ drinking thread, @GannetKeith ? :slightly_smiling_face:

No worries @Inbar

I made a recipe from the WS site last night to be consumed tonight

It recommends the below SA white muscat wine

I don’t have this or anything I think is similar (vast majority of whites are German, Austrian and Alsatian with a sprinkling of Bordeaux). So what does everyone else reckon? I would have gone for red by default until I saw the suggested pairing.

In the quest for a juicy, friendly - but not too heavy- red this evening, I homed in on a bottle of this 2017 Merlot blend from Croatia:

The fact that Blaufränkisch (which I love) is part of the blend, as well as Teran – a varietal I haven’t knowingly drunk before – made it all the more alluring, as was its 12% ABV. And it is, indeed, a lovely, gentle and very pleasant wine on both nose and palate.

The nose shows more of the black fruit profile (plum, blackcurrants) as well as liquorice, sweet spice and some delicate floral notes. On the palate, there is more of a red fruit note, such as bramble, red plum and sour cherry as well as black pepper and a wonderful leafy/vegetal note, which is more of a scent than a taste, but which is present with every sip.

Bright acidity keeps it light and fresh, and the tannins are smooth and very much in the background. Nothing too fancy or complicated, but a perfect midweek red, which - if it weren’t sold out - I would have ordered again.

I wonder if the stilton would have clashed with the red a little, especially a tannic red? If I understand correctly, you’ve got some Alsatian wine in your cellar? If so, have you got a Muscat? It should be a good alternative. The Society Vin d’Alsace or Edelzwicker should work too. Basically, I think you want something with a touch of sweetness, rather than anything tannic or sharp. But that’s just me! :slight_smile:

I’ve been slowly sipping a bottle of 2008 El Piadoso Rioja Reserva since Saturday, and I’ve rather enjoyed it.

Waitrose have sent me a bunch of ‘£10 off when you spend £50’ vouchers recently. So I go and do a modest grocery shop and top off with things that take my fancy in the ‘fine’ wine section. I assume everyone does this.

There was definitely a bit more fruit on Saturday than there is today. A trace of stewed fig, maybe some olive, is lurking under the vanilla, cedar, and leather. Nothing wrong with that though.

But if I think about the 2011 Exhibition Rioja Reserva this gets more disappointing by the sip. It’s the flavour concentration that’s lacking. With the Exhibition, you barely need to lift the glass off the table to be hit in the face with the aromas, and know it’s a mature Rioja. I’m dunking my face in the glass to catch the perfume.

This isn’t a bad wine at all, and I’ve enjoyed every glass, but it’s still slightly underwhelming.

I ended up in a rush so no wine and now drinking Brazin Zinfandel. I had settled on a szolo furmint to have with it (which I haven’t tried yet) but couldn’t wait for it to cool.

You clearly don’t live in the north of England :sweat_smile:

Had this last night… shame it wasn’t a magnum. Extremely quaffable. Plenty of fruit but not over done, touch of earthiness and of the outdoors and fresh. Great vfm. I’m buying more.

Humble appellation, somewhat less humble producer…

Leroy Bourgogne Blanc 2014. Surprisingly rich aroma, verging on the tropical but not a bit out of balance. Oak spice in the palate and that characteristic 2014 taut acidity. Would stand up to many examples from much more exalted appellations.

No wine :open_mouth: Just a little cider, my favourite “long” drink.

Dinner is chicken cooked in a little of the cider, finished off with a touch of mustard, new tatties and veg. Simple but nice.

This has been on my to-try list for a long time.

Recommended at the price?

Cottage pie and a SA Elgin Merlot 2014 from Catherine Marshall here tonight…

… ripe plums and berries on the nose. Nice and fresh but nothing complex. Medium body, sweetly ripe plummy fruit, fresh acidity provides cut and balance, gentle tannins a bit of grip on the finish. Not a buy again but pleasant all the same.

I think I paid about £30 in 2016 so on that basis yes given what that will buy you these days in Burgundy. Not sure what you’d have to pay currently - I would guess that you might get a similar return in terms of quality/price from very good 1er cru Chablis.

I haven’t come across “hard cider” before but a little research reveals that hard cider is the American way of saying cider, and that cider is the American way of saying apple juice. Well, I didn’t know that. Hard to tell from quick research whether hard cider is actually made from chlorinated apples.

Still got a couple of these left, lost some of the lemon focussed citrus freshness it first had but nicely waxy and nutty with a grapefruit pith note.

I’d had a few bottles before noticing it was made in the US, imported & bottled by Shepherd Neame.
There’s no mention of chlorination on the label.
My neighbour’s pet rabbit is partial to a thimble of it when he visits. He’s a bit picky about his beverage of choice and has a great nose. :innocent:

A glass of the Society’s Fino and then a glass each of this

Had not benefitted from being open since Saturday when we opened it for a visiting friend who likes to drink red wine at the end of a meal and therefore likes something with a bit of residual sugar and smoothness.
Well it was smooth alright. Smelled and tasted of boiled sweets. Meh.

Last French wine scholar lesson before next week’s exam (:grimacing::grimacing:) and the topic was The Rhône - an excellent way to finish!

Three bottled left an impression - the sort that invariably results in a purchase:

This stunning 2009 Côte-Rotie:

The nose was enough for me! The taste was a bonus… My notes say stewed plums, leather, liquorice, cassis, sandalwood, cinnamon, clove… It started by caressing the palate with soft, spiced, stewed fruit, but then gripped it with its woody, but smooth, tannins. Herbal notes (thyme?) were nicely complemented by fruity notes. The empty glass was even more perfumed and evocative. I might just consider buying it - though it’s quite a bit above my usual budget.

Much more within budget is this delicious Vacqueyras:

We all loved the perumed, violet-like nose (though there was something slightly feral lurking underneath), and I liked the way the ripe plum/blackcurrant fruit was balanced with good acidity, and a long minerally finish. Delicious, without being simple. :+1:

Finally this primmadonna:

It’s been in my wishlist for months, and now - lucky me - it’s resting in my fridge :grinning:
If you like the headiness of Muscat, this won’t disappoint! The colour is stunning - bright copper hue (apparently from the black-skinned variety), the nose a melange of perfumes… Orange water, rose petals, Jasmin, apricot, magnolia, pot-pourri… all exploding happily on the palate. Not for the faint hearted, but oh, soooo good :heart_eyes:

Having one of the most reliably brilliant wines I know.

Cleared the mortgages yesterday and it’s my birthday today so double celebration