01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinking thread (2-5 Sept 2019)

Well it’s Monday and it seems I’m the first to have a drink today.

Greywacke SB 2016 tonight, one of a case I’m slowly working through before switching to 2017. It seems to me that each bottle is better than the one before. Delicious as ever and though it was never hard to drink, or in any way aggressive, it is that bit softer and mellower each time. I really can’t agree with the anti-NZ SB line; this is extremely good wine!

Dingy evening, dodgy politics… give me some Riesling to restore my sanity! :confounded:

This one is from Columbia Valley, Washington State, which I tried a few times on a recent trip to Copenhagen, and brought back with me. I know @Leah likes it too - and it’s easy to see why. The nose has notes of lemon, white peach, delicate white blossom and wet stones after the rain. The palate is all zingy and zesty, a melange of white peach, lemon, tangerine and - dare I say it - jasmine tea, and there is also something a little waxy about the texture. The finish leaves a nice saline aftertaste.

Making some satay chicken and hoping this would prove a good match. And not watching the news.

Mmm, Riesling and chicken satay, a match made in heaven :heart_eyes:

We are certainly living in “interesting” times…

Roasted root veg and goats cheese with a bottle of this:

Enjoyed a bottle a couple of years ago, interested to see how its drinking now.

After 3 weeks in France I’m going to try something NOT French :rofl:, no idea what this will be like, I’m expecting an easy drinking aperitif type wine…

That’s actually a really nice white, @Leah! I used to be really enamoured with Krasno’s wines! :+1:

All about the nose, this. Sous bois, mushrooms, cherries. Cherry-driven palate, light but not overly acidic, well judged oak, finish tails off a bit early. Good for sub-£20 Burgundy.

Drank this last night with confit duck, dauphinoise and broccoli.

I thought this terrific. Maybe a bit Central Otago PN like?
I see @szaki1974 has just taken delivery of a bottle.
Akos I’ll come to you for some advice. Please can you give me some more information if you can. My first serious Egri Bikaver. Was 2013 a particularly successful vintage? This was 6 years old but seemed like it was only just entering its drinking window. How much longer would you be able to successfully age?
Thanks in advance

We opened a 2017 vintage of this last night

An enjoyable quaff, and we are looking forward to finishing it tomorrow evening. We weren’t as excited about it as the TWS blurb but a good mid week wine.

On Monday evening we were in Dunkerque after a long weekend at the Spa F1 GP and I picked the cheapest red wine on the resto’s list, which was a red burgundy! A Macon from Domaine Lapalus. It wasn’t a fine wine but it was a lovely light and smooth drop which went well with our meals and my flammekuche in particular.

I’m also interested to hear your thoughts as I still have a couple bottles I haven’t opened yet :slightly_smiling_face:

Pasta bake with this, has good slightly dusty fruit and smooth tannins. Would be great with red meat or wild mushroom based dishes. Good solid red.

I drink so little South American, but this is encouraging me.

I had this a few weeks back and was really impressed. Thought it was great vfm and would absolutely encourage me to purchase more wine from Pisano.

Sorry @winechief , I was not ignoring your question., I just don’t have too much experience of extensively aged Hungarian wines (it is a bit like in France, we drink them early)… It looks that this 2013 should go strong for quite some time. The oldest bikavér (bull’s blood) St Andrea currently retails is 2009 of their top wine (not available on these shores). I have actually tried that in their restaurant and it showed little if no signs of fatigue. I have read somewhere that 20 years should not be a problem for good examples.

Interesting you say Burgundian… in my opinion this will be down to three factors:

1. St Andrea’s style is very much leaning to elegance.
  2. Eger is the cooler of the two regions where you can produce bikavér.
  3. ~80% of the blend is KékfrankOs (aka Blaufränkisch), Pinot Noir and Kadarka…

Oh, and these wines are nothing like what @lapin_rouge mentions in the Down Memory Lane thread.