01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek Drinking Thread [1st to 3rd September 2020]

Well the time has come to open a straight-forward and delicious Côtes du Rhône:

… a 2016 Stéphane Ogier ‘Le Temps Est Venu’ it is, then.

Got this as a bin end (£9.95) - and love it! Yes, it’s not super complex; yes, it hasn’t got the longest finish in the world and doesn’t require you to adopt a pose à la Rodin’s The Thinker. But it’s generous, it’s fun, it’s fruity, it’s spicy, it’s medicinal (in a good way), it’s camphor-y and it’s just the ticket on this super dull grey English day :cloud_with_rain:

I was horrified at the ABV (14.5% :scream:) - but the wine is medium bodied (whatever TWS website states!), and very well balanced. The acidity is still quite pronounced and lively, and the tannins are smooth and discreet, sort of sneaking by the backdoor.

The reviews on the website seem less than generous; we found this easy to enjoy and moreish from the first sip, and think it’ll accompany our venison burgers nicely, too :+1: :wine_glass:

15 Likes

A few arrivals today. Some for now, some for later.

13 Likes

Much to be said for holding onto a couple of bottles of this into maturity. Lovely, mellow, herbal, rounded, no tannins really now. Won’t get any better.

12 Likes

Being a Muscadet fan as some of you may recall from various posts.

With home cooked Moules Marinierre…

Delicious although we need a slight tweak for the next go …

16 Likes

A Vouvray sec for us tonight with a one pot meal of hake fillet with potatoes, tomatoes, butter beans, onions and garlic, smoked paprika and lemon. A bit of a made up recipe but very tasty. Thursday is not normally a wine night for us but we are on holiday (yay!) borrowing my brother’s flat in Exmouth for the week. We bought the Vouvray at the Vouvray coop a couple of years ago. A 2017 that has developed a beautiful golden colour and has a lovely honeyed after taste. A lovely delicate wine and we have kept some back for another day.

9 Likes

Love their wines. And that combination is a classic.

1 Like

I finished the bottle off last night and there was no discernible change in aroma or flavour from day one. Although I’m sure it will age beautifully, TWS drinking window until 2029 doesn’t seem unreasonable, it still provides a lot of pleasure now should you decide to crack the seal. Please post your thoughts if you do !

1 Like

Love Exmouth, family there also, enjoy, our mussels were from the River Exe…delicious.

2 Likes

We just bought scallops from the fish mongers on the front😋

3 Likes