01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek drinking thread (16th to 19th August 2021)

No midweek thread yet! Oh dear! Well I opened this reliable stalwart midweek Italian last night:

…and found it as reliable as ever. A mellow, smooth, delightfully easy-drinking glass that never fails to impress me for a sub £10 bottle.

What are your midweek indulgences?

20 Likes

No indulgences here. Planning to have a dry week until Friday :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Opened this last night for beef stroganoff. Having some tonight with lasagne. A really good value, uncomplicated but satisfying wine. Would be extremely happy to be served this in a carafe at a small trattoria in Italy. Extremely happy. Will probably pick up some of the 2020. These sorts of wines (not exclusively) are why I love TWS. Supermarkets generally fail at this level and this sort of co-op wine. You can sense the care and enjoy the value. Great with food.

21 Likes

I’m not going to name names, but I had a still white wine from a local winery here in north Cornwall on Monday and, although the palate was pleasing - in a “tastes like Riesling but it’s not” kind of way, it lasted about 1 second. I’ve experienced this before. I am starting to wonder why.

6 Likes

Veggie main then , and uncommon here, a desert of wild plums we collected today. I indulged a little Poire William to add to it’s lusciousness.

18 Likes

I was very much looking forward to this Grauburgunder from Bercher, being a fan of Bercher’s wines:

… but I can’t help thinking it is faulty. What first hits the nose is a gun-flint sort of smokiness - which at first I associated with the volcanic soil of Kaiserstuhl, but then all the aromas and flavours that followed were sharp, even a touch acrid, with a pronounced acidity I did not expect.

I remember this wine as rounded and rather rich (as per WS description - although I had a different vintage), so I suspect reduction might be at play here… :thinking:

It’s currently doing penance in the decanter, in the hope that it will improve, but if not - will open something else.

All grist for the mill, I guess (not to mention a First World problem…!!) :smiley:

15 Likes

Other half out with family so on my own with some fish pie and lager. Last night we enjoyed this:

Its not quite Greco di Tufo, but at the price its very nice indeed, with the characteristic oiliness of the varietal (almost like Marsanne), some nice pineapple and peach fruit and modest balancing acidity. Not quite as exciting as the Albana we had last week, but finding some really interesting Italian whites at the moment, no bland neutral failures for a while.

14 Likes

I can only admire your saintly restraint @Rafa !

Groundhog Day here, another day, another meal, another wine. Today’s excuse being, I felt deserving after a lengthy workout earlier in the day…

…anyway, it’s a Nebbiolo d’Alba ‘Drago’ 2016 from Poderi Colla. On the go now and just enjoyed with a large bowl of, shop bought, venison and sloe gin tortelloni, olive oil and parmesan.

Must say, it’s representative of the strength of the vintage. Strong but bright ruby red with a watery rim. Ripe red cherry and berry fruit with plenty of fresh floral fragrance on the nose. Medium bodied and good depth of flavour with ripe red fruits to the fore and a subtle savoury undertow. Slightly drying, but by no means assertive, tannins and beautifully fresh acidity provide excellent balance and structure and, should one be inclined, the capacity for further aging. There’s surprising length on the pleasantly astringent red fruited finish too. A lovely example of its type and right up my strade !

Not sure I like the label mind. I seem to have a problem with faces on bottles, no matter how artistic, that appear to be giving me the eye so back label to the fore here !

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Edit - oh dear @Inbar, I’ve really enjoyed previous vintages of the same and would have had similar expectations, especially as it’s closed with a screwcap ( I have a bottle too ). Fingers crossed for you it comes around with air. Oh, I also experienced something similar with a Feuerberg Grauburgunder last year which seemed totally stripped of fruit and smelt like a box of burnt matches but that was closed with a cork so blamed that for the fault.

21 Likes

Also dry till Friday ahead of a relaxed weekend.

2 Likes

I had one of these a few weeks ago which I thought was… meh. Matched up approximately to your description but was my first wine from Bercher so didn’t question condition too much - not undrinkable just quite underwhelming. Maybe something else was going on!

3 Likes

Yep! ‘meh’ is not something I associate with Bercher’s wines - they are usually full of energy and verve and high on quaffability… Ours didn’t improve even with time in decanter, so I have contacted MS… First time!

1 Like

Oh go on …do…

1 Like

Usually dry Mon - Wed, but we opened this on Sunday and it needs finishing. I’ve had a few of these in the past, but hadn’t tried the 2019, so this was a single bottle tester:

Happy to say it has passed - quite full, lots of blackberry fruit and a bit of cocoa on the finish. More complexity than I’d expect from most sub £10 reds.

15 Likes

Anyway I’m pleased to announce a stunner.

I’m so impressed with this wine; and from a dubious start.

colour - well; so clear and devoid of colour it looks like tap water.
nose - very subtle. Reductive at first, then swill swill… Rose’s lime cordial - very dilute - and honeysuckle. Not a lot though
palate - ker pow ! what a splendid balance of things to sup. Green apples, citrous, mainly limes, just enough not too much acid, some of that wet stone thing, some gentle nutty autolytic palate coating. Wow this is NICE. Nothing dominates, all harmonious.

Only 11.5% ?? noooo…get way with you…really ? Mid week drinking par excellence

we’ve been saying watch out Champagne for a while now. I’m saying watch out Chablis.

22 Likes

On annual leave this week so the usual abstinence on school nights goes bye the bye. Opened a 2107 Gigondas from Clos des Cazaux. Bought EP back in the day.

This is a producer I really like and follow most vintages whether it’s Gigondas, Vacqueyras or his white blend.

This is drinking beautifully now despite all the contradictory advice. The producer advises a drink window of 5 years from vintage. TWS drink window to 2028 and JLL to 2040. I’m sure that somewhere in the Rhône thread the community suggests not to be broached for 5 years.

I haven’t really much experience in this space but if it tastes good then get on with it. This has ripe fruit and French herbs and countryside. A slight medicinal quality initially that disappears. Ripe tannins that are well integrated. Would recommend a hour decant just to allow the wine to settle down. Very pleased I have another case in reserve. Really good value.

28 Likes

Lemon and apple flavours are probably the most commonly used descriptors for English wines (still or sparkling), from Kent to Camel Valley. With the geographical location and weather constraints faced by English winemakers, I’m not surprised.

1 Like

I thought English wine was supposed to taste of elderflower? Or elderberry? Not sure if there’s even a difference!

Interesting. I’ve always wanted to like Gigondas more than I actually do. Must try harder!

1 Like

Idle banter aside - @NW3Andre - indeed an often-used descriptor mainly for UK - raised chardonnay (although I did specify lime not lemon), of which I have had many offerings over the years. Vintage-upon-vintage they are getting better. This one from Knightor is particularly good on account of the balance it achieves, very rounded, “serious” and accomplished flavours and all @ a low ABV. That was what I was attempting to flag up.

@thewinelake indeed; but I think mainly reserved as polite ways to describe some of the flavour profile of hybrids which remain popular, such as seyval, ortega etc. I wouldn’t expect to find “elderflower” in a chardonnay but maybe I’ve missed out !

6 Likes

I know you suggest you might be drinking it a little young but… Tardis needed?

2 Likes