01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek Drinking Thread (15-19 Feb 21)

I’m pretty sure that if TCA is present in a cork it’s from day one.

1 Like

Hi, do not know whether there is a relationship between a softer cork and TCA but, personally, I have found that an out of condition cork has led to a wine that is tainted with either TCA or it is oxidised.

Missed the first report. Do not see it on this thread?

Have you tried the Society’s Beaujolais Villages? I do enjoy a Gamay but was disappointed with the Society’s offering because the promise of the nose - blackcurrant, blackberry and candied sweets (!) - failed to materialise on the palate.

I did pick up a Louis Jadot Combe aux Jacques for £9.00 (reduced from £11.00 in Tesco’s) last week, which did deliver on the palate; although it feels somewhat churlish given that the standard price is normally c38% higher than the Society’s offering, so it would be interesting to hear comparisons with your purchase, given a 0.55p difference.

Haven’t had the societies’ BJV for a while but this is darker and softer than I remember that being. Very straightforward but some old vine concentration, not up the the Jean Paul Brun Pierres Dorees, but much cheaper.

Gamay is so varied in style, but I was impressed at what today is a fairly low price.

3 Likes

Enjoyed the last glass of this Rhone white while we await Al Gorithm’s deliberations…

Cotes du Rhone Blanc Domaine de la Grande Romane 2017

Delicious, fruity, herby edged, full with enough acidity to stop it being bland. Very smooth and drinkable by itself, but would also go well with chicken or perhaps crab. Hope there’s some more to enjoy from 2019. The grape is the unusual Clairette, but I might have guessed a Viognier blend.

19 Likes

Decided we needed a midweek cheer-up, and ordered the Veneto Macellaio box from Bocca di Lupo:

My word, it was wonderful. Luxurious scallops topped with lemon, parmesan and breadcrumbs, then pork braised in milk with polenta.

We paired with a pinot bianco from the Veneto that I know several here have enjoyed:

The second bottle we’ve had, but neither have really blown us away. Light and fragranced - certainly a good food match - but relatively forgettable. Nevertheless, a superb meal, finished with our body weight in tiramisú :smiley:

19 Likes

Enjoyed over the last two evenings with a mildly spicy mixed bean hotpot on both nights. Er, which had to be topped with crushed crisps and cheese to satisfy my addiction to saturated fats…

…from the 2017 vintage. Spicy bramble berry and black cherry fruit on the tightly packed nose. Medium body, bright fruit and a supple texture with similar flavours and some peppery spice on tasting. Light tannins and refreshing acidity brought structure and an all too drinkable balance. It wasn’t particularly complex but I did crave more when the bottle was emptied. Very enjoyable. one of those wines that made me wish the standard bottle size was one litre !

25 Likes

Wonderful stuff! We had food from there delivered a while ago and it was great

1 Like

That arneis is delicious! That and the friuli puiatti have really opened my eyes to North Italian whites recently

1 Like

Yes, that’s a lovely Ribolla! I’ve got some more coming soon. Have you tried the Hofstätter Pinot Bianco? It’s another winner! Though sold out now, it’s worth keeping an eye for it.

Edit: Ha, ha! I see that @Martyn had it yesterday, and wasn’t blown away… It’s amazing how we all experience wines in such different ways… :grinning:

2 Likes

Not tried any of the Hoffstatter wines yet but they’re on the ever expanding list!

1 Like

The issue arose in this thread:

1 Like

The funny thing is that it was a perfect food match! Maybe something with more bounce wouldn’t have worked so well overall …

(I did feel very virtuous eating and drinking from the same region of Italy :smiley: )

4 Likes

I’m with you on this - this is a lovely Arneis, I think. Did you get it via the WS or elsewhere, can I ask? I can’t find any anywhere at the moment.

1 Like

Enjoyed a glass of this last night with baked salmon. Zingy, rounded with enough acidity to balance things out. Could be drunk as an aperitif or with light foods/salads. Bought quite recently but out of stock now :pensive:

10 Likes

I bought this particular one from the Society, though it’s out of stock now unfortunately. I have a small stash of Arneis at home from various merchants - but agree, it’s not a grape that is easy to come by. I can recommend Independent Wines for their Malvira Arneis, Vincognito (currently only one at stock from the Langhe, rather than Roero), and I think Lay & Wheeler sell some, too. Have also bought some from Vinatis pre-Brexit. Ascheri’s is probably still my favourite :grinning:

Incidentally, I had a couple really good examples from Australia, too! One from Mac Forbes (used to be stocked by the Society), and more recently Adelina Eternal Return, from the Adelaide Hills.

4 Likes

Opened a bottle of Mullineux 2015 syrah from South Africa. This is the standard wine @£22 or so per bottle as opposed to their schist, iron and granite £60+ versions.

This is very very nice, with black fruit on the nose and clear flower scents as well which I very rarely seem to detect in wines. Complex on the palate, medium to full bodied and nice length. I agree with the tasting note on the Mullineux website:

Tasting Note:
This perfumed Syrah has notes of spicy citrus rind, refined black fruit, violets and lilies. The palate is elegant and restrained yet with good body and a silky texture balanced by a fresh, natural acidity. The finish is long with supple tannins. Best served at 16 to 18 °C, this wine will greatly benefit from decanting if drunk within the first 3 to 5 years after bottling.

I am glad I have another 11 of these (bought from an auction) and also 6 of the 2017s (bought from Decantalo). A very nice New World alternative to the Rhone wines! I will be looking to buy more of these from different vintages, very good value for money.

22 Likes

Mike, many thanks for this.

Monday - we finished the beef joint. Unlike every previous ‘Duchy Original’ beef joint from Waitrose this portion was fatty and gristly so we enjoyed the vegetables and wine.
20200824_weekday-wines-mon
2013 Château Tour St Bonnet ( Bordeaux, Médoc)

Tuesday - our regular penne with aubergine in tomato sauce and mixed salad with no-brainer™
20200914-weekday-wines-tue
2019 Casa Vinicola Roxan The Wine Society’s Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (Italy, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo)

Wednesday - we visited Ukraine in our Lockdown Tour with Chicken Kiev and
20210217_kiev_wine
2018 Kolonist Odessky Cherny (Ukraine, Odessa)

Details of that journey’s food and wine on this thread here.

Thursday - Chicken breast strips ‘Pizzaiola’ with

2019 Curto Marco Barbera d’Alba (Italy, Barbera d’Alba)

All wines from TWS except for Odessky Cherny (Odessa Black) which was bought in Odessa.

And so another week whizzes by.

25 Likes