01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Midweek Drinking Thread (12-16 July)

Very humid here today. Went for a run and then fancied something with good acidity and I had a hankering for grapefruit flavours. Enter bin #007

2nd bottle of this. Very pale, almost white gold colour. Hints of honeysuckle, apricot and the longed for grapefruit. Couldn’t help but think of the sea and oysters as I sampled. Creamy, med body to this that sets the mouth tingling. Had fish and chips with this last time which were a great match. Going to try it with sushi tonight.

Happy Thursday all. :grinning:

15 Likes

A ham and Wensleydale quiche tonight on a warm summers evening. Perfect with the TWS Corsican Rose.

Light pink with clear rim. Light nose. Floral. Rose water. Hints of violet and orange blossom. Light palate. Fresh acidity. Pear drops, red currant, strawberry. Medium finish.

13 Likes

That 2017 Aves Barbera is fantastic. I have already consumed 4 of the 6 I bought.

By contrast I am underwhelmed by the 2017 Burlotto Langhe Nebbiolo. Not a patch, at this stage, on 15 or 16.

I hate to dampen your hopes for 17 Barolo but all the 17 Langhe Nebbiolos I have tried have been a bit the same. It is why I opted out of the 17 Barolo EP campaign. Fingers crossed I’m wrong and you’ve bagged some treasures.

3 Likes

This here tonight…

…well described in the notes, light, direct and uncomplicated with refreshingly clean, bone dry, green apple aromas and flavours. Not a wine you need to think about but it’s all too easy to drink.

I had another go at cooking tarte flambee to go with it…

…after learning some valuable lessons after my first attempt I was pretty happy with the results ( 7 out of 10 this time ). I cooked this one at 250, on a baking paper covered rack, on the conventional oven setting for the first three minutes before switching to fan for the last three to get some scorch on the edge ( best side forward in the pic ). @robertd thanks for the tips but your invitation to lunch remains on hold as the topping was a tad overdone !

26 Likes

Keeping it safe and simple tonight, with a chicken risotto and

Of course having said that, said chicken was seconds from a delicious cob stove roast from yesterday. Really enjoyed it!

Update - onto a sneaky Cru B since it’s such a lovely evening and the start of a long weekend.

11 Likes

No trimmed edges today, looks very tasty indeed :yum::yum:

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment James, it’s appreciated !

3 Likes

Have been eyeing an Alsace Sylvaner for ages now, as I rather like the one Wirsching do in Franconia (even if they spell it with an i). The one you had or the Sylvaner Vieilles Vignes, Dirler -Cadé 2017.

1 Like

After a long day of happy home-schooling, I’ve got the night off tonight. Well; after cooking tea - homemade fishcakes - and doing the washing-up. Feels like a Friday night, so I’m on this special treat tonight - Mád Furmint Király Grand Cru, Tokaji Classic, 2016.

A cheap & cheerful but scrumptious dry Furmint back in the mid-90s was the first time I realised I may actually often prefer a decent white wine to a red. I remember repeatedly buying & loving it it until one day, it suddenly disappeared, never to be seen again. I’ve had a fair few relatively indifferent ones since then, but this one takes me straight back to that almost epiphanal moment. It really is a lovely wine - rich & tasty but light-footed & nimble, and just full of flavour & joy. Flowers, spring sunshine and autumnal hay. Better with food than solo, but hey, I’ll get some snacks out to keep it company. Memorable and makes you just want to keep licking your lips to savour every tiny bit of it.

I bought a bottle the other day as I’ve got a case in reserves and wanted to check how it’s going / if it might be another dry Furmint disappointment - on this evidence, I want another case or two :~}

14 Likes

Tesco Finest Cava.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/274819183

This is very nice. I’d go more for citrus and green apple than citrus and tropical fruit, but in any case very enjoyable. Normally £8 which isn’t a lot but I think it was even cheaper when I bought it. Has that kind of fizz that seems to make a mouthful vanish to nothing except a flavour in your mouth. Very, very good value.

6 Likes

That Barbera certainly was a wow wine for me last night.
Think I have read somewhere that 2017 was actually a very good vintage for Barbera.

Not sure if you have read my post in the Italian Inquirer thread as to what I purchased from the 2017 vintage in terms of Barolo but I think I’ll be ok.

I think it stands to reason that the harder / more difficult the vintage, the lesser wines will then struggle.
In the great years, it might be easy to make fantastic wine across the board.
I remember in 2006, we put Yalumba Signature quality fruit into the wine below called Scribbler which was around half the price. The reason was simply that we had so much great quality but then there was only so much Signature we could sell so had to draw the line. Needless to say both wines were great but the Scribbler was a bargain.

My thought process is 2017 in Piedmont = low yields so all the best fruit is going to go into the top wines with not much love for the bottom tier. Hence I’ve only got 8 bottles of Barolo and no Langhe.

5 Likes

Tried really hard not to drink during the week but then work happens and it’s Thursday and you think…who cares about the diet!!!

Had a glass of this tonight

Utterly delicious and the perfect pick me up for after a very long day of work! Roll on Friday and the weekend

19 Likes

You are not alone! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thanks for the head up on the Dirler-Cade wine, I didn’t know it was listed but it’s now on the wish list. I’ve tried it before, in November 2019, and was really impressed by its intensity and balance. It was good value for what was in the bottle too :yum:

2 Likes

Yeah you get 50% more intensity with the Dirler-Cade for 50% more money (at least from memory)

1 Like

Please can I ask a question… (anyone can jump in here!)
On those Sylvaner’s - the Leon Beyer looks to be more of a drink now proposition but the Dirler-Cade drink window is out until 2027.

What would extended ageing bring to that D-C wine in terms of flavours and aromas?
TIA

1 Like

Thanks for asking the question as I’d be interested to know too. It certainly had the structure ( high acidity / good weight and concentration ) to age that’s for sure.

Spot-on !

1 Like

Brought this along to a restaurant last night (novel concept, but it’s a place you go to and eat food somebody else has cooked in exchange for money, and you don’t have to do the washing up).

Sadly they had no decent sized glasses (think bistro), but it was singing. Supple, light, elegant, and drank like a charm with standard french brasserie fare. I think I’ve mentioned this on other threads but I have sadly stopped buying Grivot as it is not the value it once was, so these few remaining bottles are becoming rare treats. (I have the 2014 and 2018 to come)

14 Likes

I’m sure you told as last time - but do you use yeast or not - otherwise I’m assuming it’s Rick Stein recipe ?

Thinking of doing a Flammekeuchen this evening… might try a pizza stone in the webber kettle BBQ, plenty of hardwood logs to burn, and see how that goes. Hoping the stone, which is more of a terracotta tile, doesn’t shatter.

I have a few of the recent TWS white Beaujolais still left on the wine rack - I know I should be going Alsace, but I DO like the white BJL.

1 Like

Yes, as per the instructions on the BBC Food website (oven temp and time excepted). Oh, I also halved the quantities as Rick’s recipe is for two tartes.

Edit - using a pizza stone sounds like a great idea by the way.