01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek drinking [1st - 4th April 2019]

I seem to open this thread too often

Young vine Cornas bottled as VdF from a new producer. First Cornas AOC wine will be 2018. Made for early drinking but very pleasant and all the elements are there to suggest future wines could be fairly profound - some complexity already with a nice stemmy note on the end and a bit of iron and tar.

Interesting! Who is the producer (assuming it is not some sort of secret) - ?

We’re eating out at Polpo this evening, so likely to just stick with the house red, which - apparently - is a Corvina. Can’t be too bad. They got some nice wines on their list - so, who knows, might be tempted by their Pinot Nero or the Valpolicella.
Hopefully this grey sky cheers up a bit, though… :cloud:

I popped a half of 2011 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre, which I bought from TWS but seems to be sold out - a shame, as it was excellent. Wife also really liked it so I will be buying more wine in the style.

Not as in-your-face as some Gewurz, it could be enjoyed as a crisp dry white, but with a flavour boost. There were hints of the trademark Turkish delight, but also tropical fruit and occasional (attractive!) notes of things like rubber and boot wax. Similar on palate, with bitter marmaladey finish. The delicious acidity made one quickly return for another sip. Great wine.

No secret - but it’s not written on the label either! Cyril Courvoisier

Technically was Sunday eve but the weekend thread is closed… had a De Moor Aligote at Plateau in Brighton. Was my first Aligote and first De Moor, but won’t be the last of either! Very special wine. Has anyone tried thier Chablis?

Hi if you like less in your face Gewurz try some from New Zealand, visited a number of wineries there recently and was surprised by the quality. New Zealand W

Varetúo 2016, Barranco Oscuro (Vino de la Tierra de la Alpujarra)
An eternally controversial topic, but this (mostly, I think) Tempranillo from a vineyard 1350 metres up in the Contraviesa between the Sierra Nevada and the sea) is certainly a contender for the highest in (continental) Europe. I have followed this semi-legendary “natural” producer for many years now (given my lifelong affair with Granada), and the standard has risen considerably, while the wines remain thoroughly unique and impossible to compare with anything else. It’s a pretty wild wine, with soaring acidity soaring over the strawberry fruit. Wild but very clean too. Of course it is a food wine (well, unless you love acidity as much as I do). Think that acidity would allow it to age for quite some time (as all their wines do), but sadly this is my last bottle. Again, like all the Barranco wines I’m expecting it to be at its best after 3 or 4 days, but I’m thoroughly enjoying it tonight too.

Just finished my first Blind Spot Pinot Noir. I can see from the reviews that it’s not exactly thrilling others but I absolutely loved it. I guess it’s just a question of what one wants from a PN but this hit all my buttons.

Now onto this, my first from a VCP some years ago: Hedges Sagemoor Farms CS 2013

Blimey, it’s good. Mid weight, clean ripe fruit and a refreshing experience.

We had this on Monday - a large glass for the pot and the rest for us grown-ups:

Ripe, tasty and a bit boozy. Good concentration for its level - a very nice £6.50 bin end.

Tonight’s tipple. A baby, so it’s gone in the decanter for a lie down. Quite perfumed! Will be tasting the Exhibition Medoc from TWS tomorrow - excited to see how it stacks up.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Looks very nice! I may have to visit when I’m down there next.

It was great! Well made and interesting dishes and as it’s a bit like tapas - we tried lots of different ones.
The house Corvina was lovely too! Nothing sophisticated, but crunchy red fruit (cherry, raspberry) with a lively acidity that worked well with the food. :+1:

Had this at the recent Spain and Portugal tasting here in Edinburgh and liked it enough to grab a six pack. It has a nicely descriptive rear label and the contents show good complexity for the money. This is just to get our palettes warmed up before heading to Spain on Friday for a week.

where did you find this? sounds very interesting and doesn’t seem to be easily available over here…

oh sorry, misuse of the reply button there, was actually asking Jcbl about the Cornas

Available from these guys…

This place looks like a Treasure trove of Rhone wines old and new…

Jamais Renoncer 2016 Cotes du Roussillon, Bernard Magrez

A reliable CSG blend…dark fruits, peppery and herbal…with a touch of oak.

Carignan 45%, Syrah 45%, Grenache 10%…£5.99 Lidl

This evening I’m cooking dinner for a good friend, who expressed an interest in expanding her wine horizons – so I invited her for a meal with some wines to match.

Spotted some figs in my local green grocer, so I think I’ll make some baked figs stuffed with goat’s cheese as a starter, and we’ll open this slightly unusual (I think!) sparkling offering from the Pfalz:
https://www.butlers-winecellar.co.uk/products/oliverzetersauvignonblancbrutnv

Made by Oliver Zeter from 100% Sauvignon Blanc. I tried three of Zeter’s wines to date, (Grauburgunder, Riesling and SB Fume) and they were all very good to excellent – so hoping this one will not disappoint.

For main, I’m making a Sicilian Butternut Squash stew with couscous, and as my friend usually drinks Pinot Noir – I thought I’d try a Beaujolais Cru on her as an alternative, and see what she thinks:

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/all-wines/all-countries/french-wine/morgon-la-chanaise-603034

Not sure yet about dessert – might make a Key Lime Pie – so thinking of opening the Paul Cluver 2014 Late Harvest Riesling I recently got in the M&S discounts. Might finish the Torres Moscatel from Sunday too, if there’s room. It really hit the spot the other day! :heart_eyes: