Midweek Drinking [17-20 October 2022]

Slipping down all too easily here tonight…

…a Crozes-Hermitage ‘La Matiniere’ 2018 from Ferraton.

Blackberry and cherry fruit with a strong, slaty, stony whiff on opening. After 30 minutes or so bramble berries, black olives, fresh flowers and sweet spices came to the fore on the fragrant and engaging nose. Lots going on, in that respect, with nuanced aromas that repay repeated sniffing as they change and develop in the glass.

RIpe black cherry and sourly sweet dark berry fruits, all spice, stony minerals and a subtly savoury undertow on the fresh, harmonious, silky textured, easy to drink, medium bodied palate. A delicious wine now but with the structure, should one wish, to develop further complexity with time. In a nutshell, £12 very well spent :slightly_smiling_face:

24 Likes

Elk Cove Riesling 2018 from Oregon - Willamette Valley

I picked it up in Cincinnati with work and have been wanting to try for a while.

Aromas: Diesel, petroleum, green apple and pear. From the aroma alone, my initial fear was that the petroleum might be the dominant taste - which I either love or hate, depending on my mood on the day! Today was a day for delicate flavours and not the brutality of a petrolly Riesling!

Taste: it wasn’t what I expected from the aroma. Immediate apple and pear, mixed with lemon zest and citrus with hints in the background of petroleum and diesel. There’s layers of the usual stone fruit and honey.

Fades from an initial delicate sweetness to a nice dry finish.

A good entry level Riesling from Oregon.

21 Likes

More weekday drinking! It must be the state of the country, or something. We had a friend around for dinner, and I had a go at the meatballs recipe from the 1874 magazine, as tried a bit ago by @Brocklehurstj.

I ended up serving with rocket, watercress and spinach (out of a bag from Waitrose), and flatbreads, and I must agree with James that it was very delicious. Quite heavy on the fennel, which was no bad thing. I served with Mittnacht Frères Pinot Noir, 2018.

The wine paired well - it’s definitely a light-bodied, high acidity red wine type of dish. Good red fruit, and some smooth tannin, too.

It’s only a week night, but somehow we ended up drinking eaux de vie

31 Likes

Found this in Jaded Palates wine shop in Chagford near our holiday cottage. Delicious. Big, rich, oaky and hints of a buttery finish. Took me back to a few years and not for every day but great for a change.

19 Likes

@robertd did you make your own flatbreads? they look very good - as does the whole plate!

I wonder if it would work with Labnah instead of whipped ricotta?

1 Like

I did make my own flatbreads, as suggested by @Tannatastic here. Super simple recipe - I found this one by Jamie Oliver, but I went without the garlic butter (plenty of garlic already :yum: ), and added of a good pinch of salt. Ludicrously quick, easy and tasty.

Only one way to find out!

6 Likes

We picked up one of those Pinots from the Domaine. Your recommendation I think. So thanks for that and for the note.

2 Likes

A lovely Fleurie yesterday evening:

Fleurie, Domaine de la Madone, 2020

A delightful wine, which worked really well with a mild mushroom curry. Exuberant, with good fruit concentration - it was easy to enjoy. The nose was a lovely mix of ripe strawberries, cherries and violets as well as a lovely autumnal whiff of the potting shed and perhaps even a touch of pencil shavings.

On the palate it was fruity and quaffable, without being simple or one-dimensional. Similar notes to the nose - wild strawberries, cherries and bramble with a delicate floral note, a hint of baking spices and a touch of orange peel. Incredibly approachable, with the most appetising acidity and supple tannins - in short, loved it from first sip to last! :+1:

Tonight, after a tiring work day, and some sad family news - we’ll be sticking our feet up with some take away fish and chips and this Blanquette de Limoux:

Tesco Finest ‘1531’ Blanquette De Limoux 2020

Made by Sieur D’arques for Tesco - this is just the ticket this evening. Mauzac and Chenin give it a delicate nose of green apples, lemon biscuit and even a touch of flint, and the palate is clean, fresh and zesty with notes of fresh apples, a touch of peach and shortbread with a lively acidity. Should work well with the F&C.

I would say on par with M&S ‘Found’ Blunquette de Limoux, which is a house favourite, and not miles away from the WS’s Maison Antech example. Nice to see supermarkets moving away from endless bottles of cheap and boring Prosecco and going for something so much more interesting.

Have a good Wednesday evening, all! :clinking_glasses:

21 Likes

Really glad that you enjoyed their wines, and they are really nice people. We’re in Alsace next week, and may well be paying them a visit.

2 Likes

A long day at work, followed by this…

Where to start with this one… me and my friend were driving back from tasting in the Mosel (via the Alsace then Switzerland, Baden-Baden - lucky us), and really fancied seeing if we could find wine in Belgium(?) on the way back. Not sure quite why now, but we’d found somewhere that claimed to do good chardonnay, and then - as we were driving there - found out they don’t really like visitors. A quick hop on google to see what might be near the motorway and I found what looked (per it’s website at least: see here) to be a nice idyllic vineyard in the countryside.

Suffice to say, the winery did not look like the website! Google directed to us to what we were sure must be the wrong place (pretty much on a modern enterprise park filled with prefabricated buildings) and it took us a couple of circles around it before we spotted a tiny burgundy painted post box next to a large and (gladly broken) electronic gate. There was no one in sight, but the door was wide open so I popped in to what was one of the most surreal wine settings I think I’ve ever been in: a sort of life size cabinet of curiosities, which was filled with what looked like Dutch Renaissance inspired 6ft canvases of quasi religious scenes and assorted collected ‘antiques’, yet what on the surface looked like a 1960s UK technology park.

Anyway, when the winemaker arrived she treated us to a wonderful 2 hour tasting - fully biodynamic, thoroughly researched and terroir driven vineyard and absolutely wonderful winemaking, it was fantastic. Inspired by her own journey to wine (she was also the owner of her own company in the Netherlands until about 10 years ago, when she decided to make wine… in Belgium!), which really was some of the best (and certainly the most interesting) wine of the journey.

This is the 2015 Pinot Noir and tastes like a cross between an oaked German Pinot Noir (this is given two years) and a traditional Cerasuolo. Such an unusual wine. If you are popping back from a tasting in the Mosel, it is well worth a visit, although I’d make an appointment.

[As a side note, what better than a Belgian wine from just south of Brussels to toast the imminent fall of this government… But I digress.]

26 Likes

What a wonderful story! Wine stories so often are :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Been sipping on this over the week with friends who visited us from Ayrshire….very enjoyable and the cherry finish from the Amarone definitely shines through.

A most enjoyable pour….

15 Likes

Basilisco Aglianico Superiore 2013… this is quite an interesting wine, it’s quite a fresh nose, a little muted at first but after a couple of hours there’s liquorice, violets, plums, a little funky, a little smoke; also chocolate… quite extreme tannins :face_with_spiral_eyes:

And what a lovely evening with some forumites in Putney last night, great company, food and wine :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Sure, what the hell, why not:

Thought I’d got the corkscrew all the way through but nope, and it snapped on the way out. Pulled that last cheeky bit out in one piece though, what a cork ninja.

Musar 2006, £23 in 2018, second bottle of three. Showing very little age in the glass, and smells surprisingly normal. Hmmm, where’s the funk? George Clinton would not approve. Very nice though, almost like a cross between a Bordeaux and a Chianti Classico, but with that cinsault edginess there too.

Mind you, it could well be like a different wine tomorrow, and the next day if I haven’t finished it by then, so we’ll see. I could probably leave the bottle open for days and it’d still outlast, say, a 60p supermarket iceberg lettuce.

30 Likes

Is the lifetime of a lettuce going to become our new benchmark for longevity? Certainly looks that way!

5 Likes

A ‘Truss’ is of course slightly longer than a ‘Kwarteng’.

8 Likes

The finish was a bit ‘Kwarteng’. A couple of years bottle age may yet reach a ‘Truss’?

3 Likes

But a bit shorter than a term at Oxford.

Inspired partly by @Embee and that Crozes-Hermitage, a need to celebrate the end of Mrs Truss’ inglorious rein/mourn the utter chaos of our political system I opened this:

Given a decant and a couple of hours it was a great match for sausage and mash with onion gravy. Full, rich, spicy and long, loads of red and black fruit, this is seriously good for the money. Ideally you’d want to keep it for another 2-5+ years for the tannins to integrate and to develop complexity, but a winner already.

I’d love to have a case or two of this in store…

17 Likes

A thoroughly engaging and satisfying wine that over delivered here yesterday. From Elgin, South Africa…

…a Catherine Marshall Pinot Noir ‘On Clay Soils’ 2018.

A beautiful translucent colour. A floral and fragrant nose, not unlike an exotic pot-pourri, with aromas of fresh and dried flowers, soft red berry fruits, sandalwood, sweet spices and forest floor made repeated sniffing impossible to resist.

Black cherry and strawberry fruit played a more prominent role on the medium bodied, savoury and silky palate. Notes of moss, damp soil and integrated oak spice gave nuance and complexity of flavour whilst fresh acidity and softly ripe tannins provided lovely balance and structure. Excellent VFM for £16 too as, if tasted blind, I’d have guessed somewhere in the region of £25 for the quality in the bottle.

20 Likes