01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Midweek Drinking 11th - 14th May, 2020

Just a quick note that I gifted a bottle of this Viognier to a friend, consumed last evening.
It was very well received, showing very well at near room temperature.
Complex with hints of peaches, another Ogier triumph!! :wink: :grinning:

9 Likes

With a variation on salade Landes,… gem lettuce, English asparagus, eggs from friends chickens, lardons & croutons and parmesan.

Wine is still young but a good match, has all 5 allowed grape varieties. This was the first year they went bio, and a good year in anyway. Happy Monday evening.

13 Likes

Pan fried salmon with asparagus and fennel tonight and this delightful, crisp Muscadet.
Perfect

Have to find another night to go wine free🤔

11 Likes

Excellent muscadet that, needs chilling. Must get some on order

1 Like

It’s delightful and thinking the same also…

Matching a mild Keralan curry with a 2013 version of

Sweeter than most wine I drink. Rich, floral, and peach/nectarine/lychee aromas and flavours. Also just a hint of bitterness in there somewhere. I haven’t had a Gewuertz for some time and I’m not wildly taken with this so far. Hoping it will come good with the curry.

9 Likes

A terrific session with @Sarah this afternoon. :+1:
In a reply to a question from @Mike, she described the Filetta below as stunning!!
Members should realise that less than 5 X 12 bottle cases remain in stock.
As far as the quality is concerned, it is made by those associated with Fontodi!('nuff said! :wink:)
Both Vinous & Robert Parker gave it 91/100, with a cannon of approval!! :grinning:

9 Likes

Luckily for me I already have 6 bottles sitting in the wine fridge as I still can’t get any deliveries and can only order en primeur at the moment (probably a good thing)

2 Likes

The website has this press review:

"The third vintage from Fontodi’s resurrection of this Tuscan vineyard is perfumed with rose, cherries and spice. Decant and pour with game birds. - Hamish Anderson "

If only Hamish, if only

8 Likes

To celebrate the return of the sun - albeit a colder version of it - we opened a 2017 Côtes du Rhône Blanc ‘Le Rêveur’ from Guillaume Gonnet, to go with a one-pot chicken dinner:

This is a relatively new producer and we really liked his Tavel, so thought we should check out his white. A blend of Viognier, Grenache Blanc and Roussanne from fairly old vines (40 to 45 years), it’s a lovely pale gold in the glass. On the nose, there is citrus (tangerine, orange), apricot, peach and honeysuckle. The palate is a little disappointing, however; the initial attack is lovely – fresh citrus (lemon, grapefruit) and ripe peach, then a sort of hollow mid-palate, followed by a really nice honeyed finish which also has some chamomile-like note. So it goes in and out nicely, but the middle is a little dull. We both liked the mouthfeel, which is rounded and creamy despite no oak or MLF – but we’ve had better white Rhône wines, for sure.

Having said that, the bottle is unlikely to survive the evening… :smile: :clinking_glasses:

7 Likes

I dunno, a pheasant from my local butcher is £1 each!! :wink: :grinning:

Cheap and game birds? Not sure you’ll need the 20 quid chianti, eh @cgoldin ? :wink:

1 Like

I tried a bottle of this earlier in the year and it was lovely. Very different in style to the Fontodi CC, despite the association.

It’s so tempting to pop a case in reserves but I’ve totted up supplies and I seem to have approaching 200 bottles of chianti of various types/level now. Must resist… must have variety…

1 Like

An under-the-radar Medoc A.O.C. which lies just over the N. boundary of St-Estèphe with some pre-phylloxera vines. Served with pan-fried duck breast, green beans and baby potatoes.

7 Likes

I rushed to replenish my stocks of Sugrue Pierre The Trouble with Dreams, after the Champagne and Sparkling Wine Tasting (9th April) - the only delivery of wine I’ve taken since lockdown began - and decided to tuck into a 2014 this evening to mark the fact we upgraded the kid from 5 to 6 today:

I’ll have to taste the 2013 and 2014 side by side one of these days for a proper comparison, but this is crispy delicious, full of crunchy apple, citrus zing and toasty notes. Looking forward to the next one already!

9 Likes

At what point did Pierre disappear from the label?

Good question @Inbar , not sure, but I think last year. There’s a note on the site about transitioning to the “new Sugrue branding” but don’t know when it was added…

1 Like

I have a few bottles of the Filetta winging their way to the Northern Climes for approval!!
Also, in several deliveries some inexpensive White Burgundy goodies, as I suspect that 2017 and 2018 have delivered some excellent values. :+1: :wink:
It is to the enormous benefit of Members, that Toby (@Toby.Morrhall) :clap: :clap: has secured for us some terrific wines. Personally, I am doing my best to take advantage of his superlative efforts!! :grinning:

1 Like

One of my regulars opened last night:

Fantastic value as always, though I’m afraid a good chunk of it is destined to go in my mushroom and garlic pasta sauce tonight!

Has anyone tried their rose?

3 Likes

3 X bottles Cordier Pouilly Fuisse “Menetrieres” 2017 just delivered.

This weekend should be interesting??lol :wink:

1 Like