01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Mid week Drinking thread [Dec 2nd-6th 2019]

Torraccia del Piantavigna Treconfini 2017

This 12.5% Nebbiolo gets mixed reviews on the main Society website. I’ve just uncorked my first of two bottles and think it’s a delight.

The only disappointment is that it’s now sold out, as is the first suggested altervative.

Opened this tonight with a pizza which worked very well:

Very nice easy drinking. Soft, fruity, slightly sweet, touch of pepper, no great complexity but a great gluggable value for money wine. Undemanding but rewarding. I’m sold but, of course, there will be no more to be ordered so at least I’ve got another one.

Might have to try some more of this grape. It’s a bit like a spicy Beaujolais; possibly helped by the ambient day time temperature in my van whilst I’m at work meaning it was still a touch chilled in the glass!

Might have to break my normal behaviour and have a second glass; that first one slipped down deceptively easily.:clinking_glasses:

Edit: whoops just realised I should have put this into the weekday thread. I wonder if a kindly mentor might oblige! :blush:

Weekend drinking thread [29th Nov - 1st Dec 2019]

Ahhhh… The amount of school days I missed just to watch Cary Elwes say that… :heart_eyes:

Don’t make them like they used to :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

A real VFM with a Spanish omelette reduced in Morrisons from £8.75 to £6.

https://store.warwickwine.com/shop/first-lady-chardonnay/

Took me quite a while to understand that post. I might be tired!

The omelette was home-made but the wine was bought in Morrisons - sorry for anyunintended confusion caused.

This was good with a crab sandwich, so good , I’m going to have to make another !

…from Waitrose, an Albarino from Rais Baixas aged on its lees for 40 months. Very good it is too. Citrus, a floral quality and minerals on the nose. Fresh and bracing with white nectarine, lemon citrus, a herbal note and plenty of salty minerality on tasting. The lees aging seems to give it a bit more weight and texture, than many other Albarino I’ve tried, without comprising the desired, for me anyway, refreshing briskness. Built for food, shellfish especially. On one of their 25% off 6 offers, it was £11.25.

It will also be interesting to compare it to this some time soon …

…one for @laura maybe, but it begs the question, how can it have been aged on its lees for 30 months when it’s from the 2017 vintage ?

It was sent into space at something close to light speed for its lees ageing.

No, wait, that doesn’t work, it’s the wrong way round. Damn.

This lovely wine this evening:

We had the 2016 a couple times, and this is our first try of the 2017. The nose started a little muted, but with a bit of aeration it opened up to reveal orchard fruit (pear, quince), white flowers and honey notes. Broad on the palate, the apple/pear/membrillo notes continue, and there’s delicate honey and a beeswax feel to the texture. There’s a tannic sort of bitterness which makes me wonder whether there was some skin contact here. It’s really good, as it adds to the complexity of the mouthfeel.

This reminds me a bit of an aged Chenin, perhaps - the beeswax plus quite notable acidity combo is just lovely. Fairly long finish too.

On reflection, the 2016 seemed a little fuller with perhaps a bit more depth to the flavours, a little more harmonious, perhaps – but to be fair, the 2017 could probably do with more time in bottle to develop further.

All in all, this is a hidden gem, with real substance and character, and should go nicely with chicken and mushroom risotto! :clinking_glasses: :ok_hand:

(Forget that post if you saw it- for some reason I had S Africa in my mind).

Probably because I’ve just opened a 2006 Mary le Bow from Flagstone in the Western Cape. This one is cab sauv, shiraz, merlot, cab franc and it’s got a lot going on. I’m reminded of that old vacuum cleaner ad - “beats as it sweeps as it cleans”, but in the nicest possible way! Only been open a few minutes and already pretty amazing. Now got to find something suitable to eat with such a powerful wine: not easy.

I was almost convinced there !

Honestly, I had to work out the timescale to confirm I wasn’t losing it.

Served with home-made cauliflower cheese was the following wine. The last of a case of 6. For a “simple” white Burgundy this was fresh with good rich flavours on the palate. Can’t remember how much TWS charged me for it some years ago.

Finishing the Pinot noir I opened on Saturday.

Still very enjoyable, but the cherry has transformed entirely into rhubarb. Not experienced this before, very curious.

I think I was right not to pursue physics in the world of further education :zipper_mouth_face:

Hopefully someone from TWS will come along to correct this - well spotted!

Will be interested in your take on the Zárate. Much more serious wine I would imagine (though I haven’t tried Norrell s take on Albariño).

I’ve bought one too. Looking forward to it. I’ve always found relatively simple wines do well with seafood. I need education in higher end Albariño. Tried https://www.vivino.com/terras-gauda-la-mar/w/1473982 but feel external insight is what I need

La Mar isn’t actually an Albariño, It’s Caino Blanco :wink: Excellent wine though. I don’t know any other wines from this grape, though I think it turns up in some blends.