01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Members’ Reserves

Mark, it was in the early 1990s from memory.

I believe the principle is that if a case is specifically physically marked then that case is the property of the customer. If it is damaged in store then the customer will have to claim on insurance or against the bonded warehouse.
Normally wine merchants don’t mark cases so good cases are withdrawn by the warehouse as long as possible and then any broken ones are all sorted out together in one claim. Hence in this case the court decided that they formed part of the merchant’s stocks rather than the property of the customers concerned.

Thanks for that background.

However, it appears to describe a different scenario from a wine merchant going bust, so not entirely sure how helpful it is.

I didn’t know that Fedex ran the bonded warehouses too! :wink:

Mark,
I wasn’t very clear in my reply in that my explanation of why merchants didn’t specifically label boxes was the reason for one merchant’s stock going into their assets when they went into liquidation, rather than staying the property of the customers.
I think Richard has sorted out the answer for us as he says the law changed a year or two later.

The warehouse in question was down what had been an old quarry and it got very damp. Cardboard boxes delivered from it were very fragile and some labels had been washed off by condensation! The warehouse imported some massive dehumidifiers and eventually got things under control.

Hi all,
In a mixed case of 12 for reserves do magnums count as 2 or 1 bottles?

Apologies if this is a repeat question. Prompted by enjoying the 2009 domaine Perdiguier. The magnums below should be ready just in time for a collection of 50th birthday parties. Based on the 09 they will be crowd pleasers.

Magnum of Domaine de Perdiguier, Cuvée en Auger, Vin de Pays des Coteaux d’Ensérune 2017

in stock

Magnum of Domaine de Perdiguier, Cuvée en Auger, Vin de Pays des Coteaux d’Ensérune 2017

I believe that the criterion for a mixed case going to reserves is number of physical bottles (so 12 halves can go into reserves). Billing in general is by volume, so it may count as 1 bottle for the purposes of making up 12, but 2 for the charges.

3 Likes

oops replied to quickly