01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Members’ Reserves

Oh don’t say this isn’t true! Perhaps we can all be sent an annual photograph of our goodies, applied through some Instagram-like filter which adds a dusty, cobweb covered veil over all those lovely bottles, safely arranged behind a locked and gated vault door…

2 Likes

Your wish is my command! :wink::+1:

1 Like

Thank you o beneficent organiser of threads @Inbar! I think @szaki1974’s post Christmas Champagne Offers are here probably fits better on this thread too, if it please you tugs forelock, looks at ground

1 Like

To take it even more off topic, I was baffled by the same drinking window quoted for a vintage wine…

I flagged this as I thought it was an error. But got a reply that it was correct as this wine is actually being bottled to follow demand (as I recall). Still does not really add up to me.

I think members reserves are actually moved into a different location even if not by share number… btw

1 Like

Only following orders… Which isn’t the greatest thing to say, especially today! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hello!

What an interesting query! I confess I’d never considered it from this angle before, so it’s been a fun little Monday morning investigation. :smiley:

So, the answer is in from our Reserves team: and it’s good news! They’ve anticipated not only that non-vintage Champagne arrives in different batches as the years go by, but also that some members like to mature several cases of Champagne at the same time, placed in Reserves at various points over the years.

The result is: we know which case of non-vintage product belongs to which members, and we know when they placed each case into Reserves, so when you withdraw a case of Champagne you can be sure you’re withdrawing the right one!

They’re a savvy bunch, our Reserves team! :smiley: Now shall we compare notes and find out which of you has been maturing Champagne for the longest? :wink:

18 Likes

Amazing! Thanks for finding out @laura, and thanks to the wizards in the reserves team for having it on lock!

https://youtu.be/0p_1QSUsbsM

4 Likes

But the real question here is: why are you ageing NV?

Like some others on here, I find the society’s NV champagne (along with some other NVs) benefits from a year or two more in bottle after purchasing. Maybe something to do with the lack of malolactic fermentation means the acidity is a bit much for me at first, but smooths out after a little time? Whatever the reason, I prefer it after a couple of years, but have neither the space nor the willpower to keep it at home.

3 Likes

I have stored M&S Oudinot NV Champagne for a couple of years.
I makes one heck of a difference when you pop the cork!!
I would suggest that members who have the willpower to resist, might try this wheeze that the trade apparently used to or still uses in order to show off their product to its best advantage at tastings! :wink:

1 Like

Ok. Most of the NV champagnes we drink are not only a blend of several wines, but also a blend of several years, in order to make the taste uniform. That’s why I asked.

Yes indeed, but any wine will change over time and I guess individual taste dictates the best point to open. I’ve heard varying opinion from “pop it straight away” to “it’s a waste unless you’ve held it 6 years” for NV. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose!

4 Likes

No argument from me!!:grinning:

Here is a quick article over on Decanter:

1 Like

Thanks @M1tch. I have started looking at disgorgement dates in the last 2 years or so. It’s useful.

I say, each to his/her own.
The cynic in me, says that it is in the Champagne’s trades interest to have us believe that we should quaff most NV’s within a year.
If I am wrong, then I will have mistreated MY wine.
But my experience is that when I have kept Oudinot and Bolly NV for a year or two post purchase, to MY palate there is appreciable improvement. :grinning:
So often (now being contentious?!?) we are told about the virtues of vitamin supplements, anti-oxidants or the premise that butter is akin to poison. But credible scientific research begs to differ.
Please forgive me, but I will believe the evidence of my own taste.
It might be useful for consumers, for all Champagne bottles to have disgorgement dates printed on each and every bottle, the Trade bodies could help us with that.
We might ask Alfred Gratien, our House Champagne provider to make disgorgement dates available?

2 Likes

I thought Bolly did have some helpful code on the foil to advise on the base wine age?
TWS also have their notorious conservative ideas on how long you can keep - The TWS label 3 yrs, Boizel 2.

On a visit, several years ago, I asked a producer (who i’ve been buying from for 10+years) about drinking window for NV…“when you want to drink it” was his first reply

He explained that the blending of years to create a house style doesn’t exclude the wine from benefit from ageing - allowing the different years to harmonise and develop - and like vintage champagne, you will see the flavour profile change over time.

Most of the houses “produce” a NV to be drunk young…and as you say, the market has been told this! anyway, given the volume (mass) produced its almost a Just in time system and they want the constant turnover of product - who could store all those bottles ?!

1 Like

I just stuck a mixed case of Beaujolais in Reserves and it occurred to me that it isn’t very easy to tell what it is from the website once done.

Wouldn’t it be useful if at the time that we bought a mixed case and placed it into reserves we could also give it our own name with which to recognise it?

Little user preferences like that sometimes defeat big systems so not really hopeful that might happen but you never know…

Would anyone else like the ability to “Name your Own Case”?

5 Likes

I want to name mine Gary.

Joke aside it is a good idea… I now have two Wirsching mixed cases in reserves and there is no way to tell them apart from the listing.

3 Likes