01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Members’ Reserves

Hello, sorry for double posting. Hopefully someone from Gold Command can split the subthread from the Champagne offer thread when they have a minute, so as to keep that on topic and stop me talking nonsense about goblins etc.

My question is: I have some bottles of the Society’s NV champagne put in reserves last year, I was hoping for them to mature there. If I get these delivered, will they be from that batch (ie matured for a year in Stevenage), or might they just be delivered from the latest shipment?

And a follow up question- if I put, say, another case of 6 bottles of the same in my reserves, presumably that would add to the existing number. (I’ve not done this before so if anyone knows it would show up as a different case, please say.) Would that then mean that any I withdrew from reserves would be a random selection of old and new?

Thanks for any light shed on the logistics of members’ reserves. As mentioned earlier, the insight we got a few months ago was very interesting.

I like to imagine I have my own little corner of a Society warehouse where all my wines sleep soundly next to each other, rather than just numbers on a database, and which I might one day be able to visit. So I’d only like to know the answer to this if it doesn’t shatter the illusion :laughing:

Christmas Champagne Offers are here

I’m pretty sure the wines you put in Members Reserves go “in” as it were at the time of order. I can’t see a way they could be guaranteed otherwise. Your Society Champagne therefore should be lovely, as I recall others have mentioned it matures nicely.

As I say, I’m pretty sure that’s the case but hopefully one of the Society folks will confirm. Actually thinking about it, it could be an interesting topic on its own, how the logistics of reserves works. Several of us certainly enjoyed the post on deliveries a while back …

Agreed, that was very interesting. That was what made me think of it initially- I couldn’t find it when I had a quick look, but I’m sure it was there that I was disabused of @tom’s notion of reserves being a Gringotts-style goblin bank of individual vaults of wines…

Oh don’t say this isn’t true! Perhaps we can all be sent an annual photograph of our goodies, applied through some Instagram-like filter which adds a dusty, cobweb covered veil over all those lovely bottles, safely arranged behind a locked and gated vault door…

Your wish is my command! :wink::+1:

Thank you o beneficent organiser of threads @Inbar! I think @szaki1974’s post Christmas Champagne Offers are here probably fits better on this thread too, if it please you tugs forelock, looks at ground

To take it even more off topic, I was baffled by the same drinking window quoted for a vintage wine…

I flagged this as I thought it was an error. But got a reply that it was correct as this wine is actually being bottled to follow demand (as I recall). Still does not really add up to me.

I think members reserves are actually moved into a different location even if not by share number… btw

Members’ Reserves
Christmas Champagne Offers are here

Only following orders… Which isn’t the greatest thing to say, especially today! :grimacing:

Hello!

What an interesting query! I confess I’d never considered it from this angle before, so it’s been a fun little Monday morning investigation. :smiley:

So, the answer is in from our Reserves team: and it’s good news! They’ve anticipated not only that non-vintage Champagne arrives in different batches as the years go by, but also that some members like to mature several cases of Champagne at the same time, placed in Reserves at various points over the years.

The result is: we know which case of non-vintage product belongs to which members, and we know when they placed each case into Reserves, so when you withdraw a case of Champagne you can be sure you’re withdrawing the right one!

They’re a savvy bunch, our Reserves team! :smiley: Now shall we compare notes and find out which of you has been maturing Champagne for the longest? :wink:

Amazing! Thanks for finding out @laura, and thanks to the wizards in the reserves team for having it on lock!

https://youtu.be/0p_1QSUsbsM

But the real question here is: why are you ageing NV?

Like some others on here, I find the society’s NV champagne (along with some other NVs) benefits from a year or two more in bottle after purchasing. Maybe something to do with the lack of malolactic fermentation means the acidity is a bit much for me at first, but smooths out after a little time? Whatever the reason, I prefer it after a couple of years, but have neither the space nor the willpower to keep it at home.

I have stored M&S Oudinot NV Champagne for a couple of years.
I makes one heck of a difference when you pop the cork!!
I would suggest that members who have the willpower to resist, might try this wheeze that the trade apparently used to or still uses in order to show off their product to its best advantage at tastings! :wink:

Ok. Most of the NV champagnes we drink are not only a blend of several wines, but also a blend of several years, in order to make the taste uniform. That’s why I asked.

Yes indeed, but any wine will change over time and I guess individual taste dictates the best point to open. I’ve heard varying opinion from “pop it straight away” to “it’s a waste unless you’ve held it 6 years” for NV. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose!

No argument from me!!:grinning:

Here is a quick article over on Decanter:

Thanks @M1tch. I have started looking at disgorgement dates in the last 2 years or so. It’s useful.

I say, each to his/her own.
The cynic in me, says that it is in the Champagne’s trades interest to have us believe that we should quaff most NV’s within a year.
If I am wrong, then I will have mistreated MY wine.
But my experience is that when I have kept Oudinot and Bolly NV for a year or two post purchase, to MY palate there is appreciable improvement. :grinning:
So often (now being contentious?!?) we are told about the virtues of vitamin supplements, anti-oxidants or the premise that butter is akin to poison. But credible scientific research begs to differ.
Please forgive me, but I will believe the evidence of my own taste.
It might be useful for consumers, for all Champagne bottles to have disgorgement dates printed on each and every bottle, the Trade bodies could help us with that.
We might ask Alfred Gratien, our House Champagne provider to make disgorgement dates available?