Meldrew Moments

It seems that there are enough Grumpy Old Men And Women on this forum to justify a thread. I read today that Andrew Nickolds, joint creator of Ed Reardon, the GOM par excellence, died last week, so somehow this seems appropriate just now. A kind of sibling to Pedants’ Corner perhaps.

(Nickolds was also responsible for Dave Podmore, now available on BBC Sounds).

To kick things off, as so many things are going wrong, will there ever be a news story where someone is not ‘sleepwalking’ over a ‘precipice’, surrounded by a ‘perfect storm’?

4 Likes

You’ve missed the ‘Beast from the East’ weather stories…

1 Like

As a member of Grumpy Old Men’s group I believe you’re thinking of me.

3 Likes

If the t-shirt fits… :smiley:

1 Like

You’ve reminded me of Belgium “crashing out” of the World Cup; so much more serious than failing to reach the knock-out rounds!

2 Likes

British tennis players never “lose” at Wimbledon, they always “crash out”

Oh No !! You have spoilt my week. Ed Reardon was an oasis of sanity. Sorely missed already, and as you imply joins Victor Meldrew in that pantheon of virtual heroes telling us how it properly is. Who now should we turn to in our hour of need ?

Does it have to be Jeremy Clarkson ?

3 Likes

And the transfer window always ‘slams shut’

1 Like

I’d pick Rick Wakeman before the horrible Clarkson for a good solid GOM.

4 Likes

Not the finished article yet, but another Jeremy (Paxman) is getting there.

2 Likes

Ok, here goes… possibly more Grumpy Old Dad… my current issue/grump involves a comparison to the Decembers of my childhood (80s) in comparison to what we appear to be obliged to put on for our kids… where did these (insert inappropriate swear word) elves on shelves come from and why am I having to provide ever more generous (and daily, at least until the 24th) advent ‘surprises’?! There, rant over… thank you :grimacing:

4 Likes

I think you should be honorary President PeterM

I am awfully sorry but I am just not grumpy enough to join such a miserable thread as this. Watch out for a happy thread!

5 Likes

I must have said this on a thousand different threads, but when anyone asks me at work to ‘reach out’ to a student I want to scream! :dizzy_face:

8 Likes

Australia, I believe.

:-1:
USA in fact (Georgia, I do declare/believe)

1 Like

I stand corrected, sorry.

1 Like

GOM Taylor present and correct.

Why we do have to call weather the Beast from the East or the current one which is apparently named the Troll of Trondheim, rather than just winter?

1 Like

Argeed

I’m with @AnaGramWords , I’m off to the “happy thread” :wink::blush:.

2 Likes