01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Meet the Members: Inbar

welcome

It has been FAR too long since we had one of our ‘Meet the Member’ interviews where we get to know the people we interact with regularly in this place. In fact, there have been almost 500 new members who have joined since we last did this. Apologies!

So, how better to make a fresh start than by getting to know more about @Inbar?

Since joining in February, she has become one of the most active members of the site - not only with regular contributions to the weekly drinking threads, but also creating really interesting new conversations involving travel to Mallorca as well as some ‘fowl’ food matching challenges. Never afraid to ask questions and seek advice, Inbar’s contributions are always positive, fun and worth reading - we’re so happy to have her take part, and so … let’s find out more!

Meet the Member: @Inbar

As usual, we ask a short set of standard questions, and get each interviewee to answer some ‘fun’ questions that give us an insight into them particularly.

I’d love to hear from as many members as possible at some point, and I will be in touch, but if you have a burning desire to introduce yourself, please send me a message to let me know.

Don’t forget to leave a comment at the end as it is always nice for the member who is willing to be open like this to know that others are reading their interviews.

1. Tell us very briefly about yourself, and what fills your average day

Hello I’m Inbar. My name means Amber in Hebrew, and for years I thought my parents must have perceived me as a precious gem. Turns out it was the surname of their car mechanic and they “liked the sound of it”. My parents never erred on the side of romance or sentimentality! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am originally from Israel and came to England 23 years ago to pursue my passion - which was (and still is) English Literature. I studied it at Sussex University, and had a whale of a time! Met my (first) husband there, we had our daughter a few years later, and ended up staying in Brighton since…

These days I split my week between work at the University of Brighton, where I support students experiencing mental health difficulties and/or other disabling conditions, and working as a counsellor for a local organisation, in a semi-private capacity. Hard work, but I have met amazing people with incredible stories to tell over the years. I am married to a hilarious Essex man, and my (now) teenage daughter is a real treasure. And she listens to all my vinyls, so I must have done something right! :smiley:

2. How long have you been a member of The Wine Society and what made you join?

Unlike what seems to be most of you, I only joined the joy that is TWS in February! I heard about it via Decanter, and loved the incredible choice of wines on offer; that, coupled with the C word (Co-operative, that is!), convinced me that I got to join it. To say I’m glad that I did it is an understatement! :smiley:

3. What would you say is your favourite wine style or region, and what do you pair it with?

I love it all, but probably couldn’t live without white wine. Being a Germanophile I love German, Austrian and Swiss wine, and generally wines from a cooler climate seem to move me more. Maybe because I feel for the grapes for having to work harder to deliver! :grinning: My wine journeys so far have taken me far and wide (metaphorically-speaking), but somehow I always return to the Call of Alsace… I love spicy food, being a Middle Eastern, so loving Alsatian wine works well for me :+1::wink:

4. If you had to list your major NON WINE-RELATED hobby, what would that be?

Reading, reading, and some more reading :closed_book:… Mostly literature and poetry, but I love History books, and at the moment - anything on wine I can get my hands on. I enrolled on WSET level 2 which will take place in September, so trying to educate myself in anticipation! :wine_glass::closed_book: Rambling in the countryside is another major hobby; I love to think and reflect whilst walking in nature.

5. What was the last gift that you gave someone (that YOU chose and bought)?

A perfume called Poême by Lancôme, which I gave to my gorgeous friend Paula last week, as a belated birthday present. We met on the English Lit degree, so a perfume called Poême seemed apt. Plus it’s got a fab smell :ok_hand:

6. Tell us something that you’ve done that you are pretty sure no-one else in the community has done (yet)?

Erm… Army service, anyone?..

7. What’s the funniest thing that has ever happened to you?

I don’t know about ever, but… Me and hubby were staying in a lovely place called The Griffin Inn, in the (rather posh) Sussex village of Fletching. It was New Year’s day, and alas - we forgot to bring the champagne flutes. Hubby was happy to drink from the ungainly and chunky IKEA glasses which were in the room. I was having none of it, and was moaning, and cursing… on and on I went (or so I’m told). We decided to go on a walk in the countryside and think up a solution. About 10 minutes into the walk, in the entrance to a field, we stumbled upon a… (cue lights and angelic music) - that’s right! A champagne flute! Lying there seductively on the ground (I did say it was a posh village!..:laughing:). To cut a long story short, I was over the moon and thanked the Universe profusely for delivering such an unlikely gift! Alas, when we got to the room I placed the glass on an uneven surface, where it very dramatically, and in what seemed a slow motion movement proceeded to slide off and crash. :open_mouth:

“Right!” said hubby, “IKEA glasses it is then!”.

8. What was your most memorable restaurant wine experience?

There are many precious ones, but the most precious was very recent. Last summer, on our last night in Baden Baden, we ate at an Alsatian place called Weinstube im Baldreit. If you’re ever in Baden - don’t miss it. The food was a simple but wonderful Alsatian fare, and we shared a bottle of a delicious Grauburgunder- can’t remember the name, but it was delectable - fragrant and floral but understated on the palate. We finished with a Mirabelle Schnapps, which warmed the cockles (it was mid-August, but very rainy). The ambience, the waiting staff, the food, the wine, the cosiness of the place… It was just perfect. Truly memorable!

Good day, and thanks for tuning in :grin: :radio:

Your questions wanted

When I first registered your presence on the Community pages I thought Inbar was a great nom de plume that you had adopted! I did finally cotton that it is actually your first name so nice to read about it’s provenance :smiley:

Ha! That’s nice… to be fair, when I introduce myself sometimes and people go 'eh?.. ’ I just say “well, think about sitting IN a BAR”.
Works every time! :wink:

You were destined to enjoy alcohol!

We do like a bit of nominative determinism … :wink:

It is a little-known FACT that “Robert” is actually ancient Celtic for “He likes to drink aged Rioja”

The truth is much duller, though! - I didn’t drink alcohol until I came to England at the tender age of 21!!.. But perhaps it was a delayed prophecy :wink:

This island has that effect on people…

In my head, Inbar was an Eastern European/Baltic name so, for some reason, I had always assumed you were Latvian… Mind. Blown.

That would explain why people often call me Inga, or Ingvar or other Scandinavian/Eastern European sounding names… :grin:
I do have a Lithuanian grandfather, though… so not that far from the truth in a roundabout sort of way… :wink:

You ain’t kidding!! :crazy_face:

Thought it meant ‘loud shirt wearer’ :smiley:

And I thought you might be related to Inbev, with a few shared interests!

Love your crazy story and really appreciate your posts in general :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve only just worked out that your profile pic is not you rowing!

Ah, thanks @danchaq! :grin:
Do you mean the story about the champagne flute materialising in a field…? It was a bonkers moment, for sure! Then again, anything can happen in the village of Fletching… I suspect someone chucked it out of a passing car after a wild party! :wink:

Rowing… That’s a sport, right…? Nah, I’m too lazy! But it made me chuckle!! :grin:

Yep, every detail about that story had me in stitches!

Me too! I studied English Lit/Lang at KCL and it was a wonderful experience. Not sure it did me much good career-wise (there weren’t any modules on writing about wine or doing t’Instagram) but books remain my greatest joy.

Would be great to swap some book recommendations with you (even if my To Read pile is skyscraper-esque).

Your story is one of my favourite things from the whole Community so far. :joy:

Always lovely to come across another English graduate! :grinning:
Although it didn’t directly influence my career choices either, I actually use it in my counselling work all the time! I am forever quoting poems to clients, and using myth and metaphor to understand clients’ world better. As for book recommendations… don’t get me going!! But here’s one, at least- the collected poems of the hilarious, outrageous but also deeply moving Philip Larkin. His poem Vers de Société is one of the best poems ever written (in my opinion, at least!). He’s just awesome!

As for the champagne flute… it was rather tragic. We were supposed to drink it in the bath, you see, and it’s just not the same drinking champagne from thick IKEA glasses. You couldn’t make it up! :grin: