01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Matching an Auslese with curry

riesling
food

I am going to prepare a duck breast curry (without the fat) and was wondering whether I should pair it with a Mosel Auslese…

I am more likely to go down the tomato based sauce route, rather than coconut milk. Will also feature aubergine and chickpeas. Any thoughts?

In the meantime extra marks for guessing what this is.

I think it could work as the wine is still quite young but depends on using fresh sweet tomatoes and the spicing.
Maybe use some dark sugar with the aubergines and melt them down together with onions like a Pataks Brinjal chutney as the base, roast the tomatoes and mix them in.
Is that some pork scratchings I see? It is six nations weekend after all.

Duck scratchings!

Are, yes - clue in the opening stanza

Yes, that’s where the fat from the duck breasts has gone

I like the recommendations and will use some soft dark brown sugar

One of my more decadent acts was to have several vodka martinis and some homemade pork scratchings for breakfast in a restaurant in Hove (the Ginger Pig, a nice place). In my defence, I’d got up late and it was around 11ish…

Just call it brunch and it is okay…

wow… you’ve made your own duck scratchings?? just baked the fat in the oven?

@szaki1974, it sounds like a good match and should work well , but let us know :wink:

Have often had Kabinett or Spatlese with spicy food, but intrigued to see if Auslese works. A bit of sweetness with the duck sounds nice.

The deed has been done and it had worked a treat. I did a korma spice base and roasted two thirds of the tomatoes as suggested by @DrEm and also dark brown sugar added. The tomatoes was a mix of bull’s heart, a heritage mix and sweet baby plum on the vine. I used no chillies in the end, as could not be bothered cooking two batches. For such occasions I have my home made, smokey powdered (oven dried) scotch bonnets, the opening of which jar should come with a health warning. I also added some diced paneer to boost the protein content (it also needed using up), it is a pretty good carrier of flavour.

The Auslese worked very well mainly due to the piercing acidity of the Mosel and the abundance of fruit in a relatively young wine. Got the approval of my wife too, which is a rare occurrence.

The Ginger Pig is fantastic!

It certainly is!

Exactly what thought!