01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Mas De Daumas Gassac

Tempranillo will be in the assemblage soon enough!

1 Like

Gassac Blanc 2020 and Rouge 2016 available (bought a couple as I have never tried)

Mas de Daumas Gassac Rouge 2016 (thewinesociety.com)

Mas de Daumas Gassac Blanc 2020 (thewinesociety.com)

7 Likes

I’ve not had much luck with my MdMG 2009 box of 6 bought EP.
First was thin and uninteresting 2 years ago.
Second was absolutely stunning about 4 or 5 months ago.
Third opened a week ago was trainted with a nasty underlying fousty flavour.
Didn’t know what to do about it but decided I didn’t want wine in my cellar that I had little confidence in being OK. So claimed a refund from TWS and sent the last 3 back. Maybe they will show up on the list. Good luck with them if you see them and buy them.
Interestingly I looked up the 2009 vintage on line, and the going price is close to £100 a bottle. Mind you I didn’t get anything like that as a refund.!!!

Bad luck.
I think I’m done with this wine too; there are so many news ones to discover and enjoy that I doubt I’ll purchase again. Never had a dud like you though.

I put a few pounds more to my refund and squandered it on 3 Exhibition Barolos and 3 Rizzi Barbarescos.
I’m very much going to look forward to opening those rather than worrying whether the MdMG is drinkable.

4 Likes

Funnily I’ve crossed over to the Nebbiolo side recently. Not normally a fan.
I got 3 of TWS Exhibition Nebbiolo.
I was confused.
Pale, tannic and acidic
It made more sense with food and given a few hours in the decanter.

There won’t be much Gassac going around this year for sure and unfortunately, prices will go up and, as a result, Gassac will fall outside the price range of some of its drinkers.

That is not a phenomenon exclusive of Gassac though, but it is a result of demand and of its success (like Tempier and Peyre Rose and many others, which are now priced at the ultra-premium bracket).

It’s a great wine and, at its peak, it is a true knock out. I have probably drank more vintages of Gassac than anyone else in this thread (mostly in the presence of a member of their family), and I can tell you that the winemaking is done with the utmost attention to detail, care and respect to the amazing terroir (the latter, Émile Peynaud’s assessment). I’ve witnessed it myself.

I can’t say I’ve ever had a bad bottle either, but that can happen to any wine, pretty much. Especially if you bought it from Rudy Kumiawan :wink:

For reference:

https://www.vivino.com/GB/en/fr-peyre-rose-clos-des-cistes/w/1517828

https://www.vivino.com/GB/en/domaine-tempier-bandol-cuvee-la-tourtine/w/1150758?ref=nav-search

5 Likes

Apologies as this is a bit of thread.
Like yourself I wasn’t convinced Nebbiolo was the way I wanted to go. I’d tried it a few times at the Decanter fine wine gig in London but wasn’t all that impressed. But there again the wines were very young as was all the good French stuff they were tasting and I wouldn’t buy anything French off the tastings of 2 or 3 year old Clarets I sampled there.
Then I gave it another go buying a bottle of Sainsbury’s 2015 Barbaresco a couple of years back when it was on special offer and an extra 25% off 6 bottles. I thought it was very nice for the money straight off the shelf. Then came the 2016 which obviously needed more time, but I thought held great potential so I bought a dozen of them. Tried the first I 'd stored for a year just before Christmas and it was lovely and amazing value at £8 a bottle.
So although I’m not up for chucking a Kings ransom at achieving Nebbiolo nirvana I thought it would be rude not to investigate a little deeper.

I have some 2014 in storage.
was going to get it out after 10 years.

I happened to be in my local wine shop in Bristol and they stock a range of MDDG wine.
I asked him about the grand vin and he said they don’t take their allocation anymore because it doesn’t sell.

1 Like

I think you should be drinking your 2010s now.

It’s more nuanced than the 07s and 09s for sure. But I love the finesse. It’s silky and the quality of the Cab fruit is there for all to see.

I have a theory about this wine: in the years where they issue the cuvée Emile Peynaud, the quality of the Cab is so good, you should double down on the main wine.

9 Likes