01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mas De Daumas Gassac

I have been buying this wine on and off EP for a few years.
I withdrew a 6 bottle case of the 2010 from TWS storage.

My mate who’s in the wine business is a bit sniffy about this wine but I really like it - it suits my taste very well. I think it’s down unusual assemblage, that in this vintage is:

– 70% Cabernet Sauvignon.
– 6.2% Cabernet Franc.
– 5.3% Merlot.
– 3.6% Pinot noir.
– 3.2% Tannat.
– 2% Malbec.
– 9.7% rare grape varieties : Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto, Armigne, Arenie, Bastardo, Saperavie, Tchkaveri, Montepulciano, Areni Noir, Tchekavesi, Souzon, Brancalleo, Petit Verdot, Carmenere, Abouriou and Plavac Mali.

I’ve never even heard of some of these grapes. Perhaps though this is how winemaking once was before mono-viticulture took over.

It’s not cheap and I’m sure there’s better value elsewhere.
Anyone else a fan?

3 Likes
1 Like

I take it you’re a fan then :+1:t4:
Yes I too normally wait 10 years from a good vintage of any red.

1 Like

Two wines from Gassac’s neighbours Mas Laval have showed up in the list:

I strongly recommend trying Les Pampres. It’s excellent value for money, by any measure. I haven’t tried the Cinsault before, but looks interesting.

Laval is one of the three properties worth visiting if you happen to be around Aniane (the others being Grange du Peres - which don’t really take visitors - and Gassac - which has a fabulous tasting room and even cottages to rent spread around the property).

More info here:

ps: Mas de L’Ecriture (from the nearby Terraces area) also produced consistently good wines, but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere in the last 5-6 years - neither here nor at the Nicolas or Lavinia shops around Paris).

7 Likes

I visited Mas de la Seranne a number of years ago and really enjoyed their range. They are right next door to Daumas Gassac on the Route de Puechabon but stylistically very different. I think many moons ago the wine society stocked something of theirs.
Thanks for the tip off on the Laval, I think I’ll try them both!

1 Like

Aimé Guibert was interviewed at some length in that slightly controversial film “Mondovino” he had a real row with the Mondavi brothers and the whole episode showed both sides at variance over who said what to whom about the possible sale of Daumas Gassac to Mondavi. The whole saga was one of Balzacian intrigue. Even the local parish priest had a walk on part in the film.

1 Like

I’ve watched that movie so many times, I even know parts of dialogue by memory (“wine is dead”). I attended a Q&A with Nossiter back when I was still living in NY and I have pretty much forced all my close friends to watch it. Even to the point of buying a dvd player to a friend who didn’t have one, so she could watch it.

Anyways, I will tell you a story about the Guibert’s and my wife. We were at a dinner at Galvin La Chapele, which Samuel was hosting, and his mother was there too (she had written a fabulous cookbook). At one point, my wife turned to Samuel’s mother and said she really enjoyed Mondovino, especially the section with her husband (the late Aime). That triggered Samuel to shout, from the other side of the table: “I was in that movie too”. The gives you an idea of the big shoes he has had to fill. We’ve seen them a few times subsequent to that, but that event always ends up being brought up. And, btw, for a man who spends half of the year in the US and the other half in France, away from his family, Samuel (and his brothers) have done a fabulous job with the Domaine since then.

1 Like