01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

So how does yours grow…

Along with some incidental discussion I’ve noticed some very good looking gardens in the background of your photos, so how about showing off your garden!

I’ll kick off with a few shots of mine. Bear in mind I’m way up in the Highlands where things are only just getting going and it’s more a summer to late summer garden anyway, so there’s less colour than you would see in, say, August (when all my crocosmia and agapanthus come into flower).

First a special mention to these little fellas. I’m absurdly pleased with these even though they are just common orchids; one self seeded into my garden several years ago and I now have four happily coming up every year!

This is a general view of my ‘back’ garden from the drive. There are several layers of beds in there with paths in between. All the rest of the photos are in this area as the rest is still under some development!

Down the neighbours back wall (This is where most of the crocosmia and agapanthus are so nothing from them until late summer):

The bottom corner is very much in shade at the moment (afternoon). Will have to get a better shot in the morning later in the year when it gets to flowering!

Somewhere in the middle!:

Quite proud of my home made fruit cage:

And my veg only just getting going:

So, come on, let’s see some lovely gardens that must have profited from this lockdown! :smiley:

28 Likes

I’ll best mute this topic otherwise might just die of jealousy… :wink:

11 Likes

Looks amazing!

Have you made some sort of devils bargain with the slugs? I can’t see a single mark on those hostas…

2 Likes

Hehe, maybe! You’ve not even seen the main hosta bed yet; it was only planted last year so very bare at the moment, hence no picture. Over a hundred hostas went in, from giants to really tiny ones! I put wildlife friendly slug pellets down in the spring and then after that I spray with a garlic solution that slugs find irritating and that seems to do the trick. Some years if I’m late or forget then there can be a lot of damage. The Delphiniums and Lilies frequently get it worse. It possibly helps living this far north; maybe there are fewer slugs?

https://www.bowdenhostas.com/pages/Garlic-Wash-Recipe.html

4 Likes

Two weeks ago I might have proudly shown off the rhodedendrons in the back garden…aquilegia everywhere, unicorns grazing etc but that was 2 weeks ago.

Reminds me, must cut the lawn. Sadly no orchids.

5 Likes

All my Aquilegia are in flower now but didn’t really get to feature in those pictures; you can just see some in the lower right corner of the shady bottom corner picture. I love the way they cross with each other; never quite sure what I’ll get each year!

2 Likes

I’ll have a punt, but it’s a very different garden to yours. I very much admire you for the effort I know that you will have to put in but, also know how much pleasure it can give you and others like us. A glass of wine in hand, several places to have captivating views and that glow of satisfaction.

When we moved to where we are now, we went from a large garden needing loads of attention to a house in a park that someone else looks after but contributes to our feeling of being in a big garden.
We had a carte Blanche 4 years ago to then make our “look after yourself” patch that gives us a chance be where we like to be - on holiday.

We have our pots for tomatoes and Mediterranean plants, our path of lavender and troughs of roses and jasmine, places for the sculptures we’ve collected and a cottage garden under an enormous chestnut tree has been the latest addition. “Rooms” to sun ourselves, sit with friends and feel we have the outdoor life when the sun shines.
Our little Scandinavian area we love too with the birches, firs, woodpile, shed and bikes.
It really returns a lot to us.
My garden tools are jet washer, hedge cutter, loppers, lawn mower, edging strimmer and rake

15 Likes

Wow that’s excellent! I love the sculptures! Must be great having a park like that on your doorstep (though I’ve got a Scottish Munro on mine!). I always admire the discipline of more formal gardens like yours; mine tends to be a little more wild! That looks like quite chalky soil, are you on the South Downs? I’m astonished by your foxgloves; mine are just beginning to think about opening their first flowers! And as for your Mediterranean stuff in tubs; not a chance up here! Nice one!

2 Likes

We’re in the high hills of chalky, flint laden Cambridgeshire :wink: on the top of our equivalent of a Munro :laughing:. Our trig point is 74m and it’s all we can do to prevent ourselves getting nosebleeds.

10 Likes

Oh dear, my camera doesn’t seem to be working. What a nuisance.

Beautiful trees @DrEm! And both lovely gardens in fact but I love the tree photos, especially the first.

9 Likes

We are on the south coast on outskirts of Southampton. Got a decent sized back garden though not on scale of anything shown above. It is definitely a spring garden colour wise. Lots of azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias. First couple taken at the front.

!
The back garden has a lawn, well grass, with plenty of borders and a veg patch. We have to protect anything seedlings from local cats that treat our garden as their private domain, hunting ground and toilet hence the tunnel guarding sweet corn, spinach and fennel. Also growing runners and French up hazel poles from a hazel that we get coppiced every now and then.
image|375x500 !
Massive silver birch on the border of our property which we get inspected every couple of years by a tree surgeon.

15 Likes

You have some fantastic colour there! Wow!

I have to net my peas against the birds, my brassicas against the butterflies and my carrots against the carrot flies! Grrrr!

3 Likes

Same here. I have some Brussels sprouts plants inside the netting for the two fruit bushes though I know the cabbage whites can get through the netting so probably a vain attempt at security! Carrots not my thing really, I don’t like them cooked so I don’t bother.

1 Like

Here a few of ours. The cows are from a neighboring farmer who uses one of our fields. All other animals are ours.

19 Likes

Here’s a couple of views of our garden on the edge of Epping with farmland beyond the hedge

Endless entertainment just now as we watch fascinated as a male greater spotted woodpecker is feeding two fledglings. He is pecking away at the peanut feeder like there is no tomorrow. Loads of young bluetits on another feeder. We had great tits nesting in one of the nest boxes and the young fledged on May 15th. Last year the same (?) pair of great tits raised young in the same nestbox and by amazing coincidence they also fledged on May 15th!

17 Likes

I’d sell my soul for a greenhouse like that! :heart_eyes: And I just love the pond. A much smaller pond is on my to do list for this year (maybe…). You can’t possibly get through all the eggs those birds must produce!

6 Likes

Another awesome formal garden. I love visiting people’s gardens and this is about as close to that as I can get right now! Keep them coming!

2 Likes

I got some special ‘butterfly netting’ last year and guess what? I still got caterpillars on the brassicas! This year I’ll use some spare carrot fly netting; they definitely can’t get through that!

2 Likes

I have such garden envy!! Mine consists of a large trampoline, a play house on stilts and an inflatable lazy-spa… Living in an Urban area and a Victorian house, the gardens not very big either… One day.

10 Likes

Yeah, my garden would not be very child friendly; very little lawn space for playing in and, of course, I am in a slightly rural setting!

2 Likes