01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Madiran!

I am a huge fan of wines from SW France and Madiran in particular. Have a few bottles lined up for drinking - anyone interested in sharing notes?

6 Likes

A huge fan deserves a HUGE WELCOME :grinning:

3 Likes

love a good Madiran…any favourite producers ? see much vintage variation from them ?

1 Like

I think this is the thread for me :sunglasses:

I’ve just posted on the mid-week drinking thread about a Capmartin VV we just had.

(I’ve got about 120 bottles in cellar/pending delivery. It is, after Rioja ‘my thing’).

4 Likes

I would be interested in your opinion of the wines TWS offered en primeur the past two years, Chateau Montus and Chateau Bouscasse.

1 Like

I will be “huge” if lockdown goes on too long :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought the Bouscasse VV form the EP in 2018. As daft as this sounds, I think Montus is more refined, slightly better wine, but the VV is almost impossible to buy except ‘in country’ and I felt I had a better chance of getting the VV (I visit SW France a lot, and Montus tends to be available in supermarkets there. The VV is difficult to source)

As for Brumont, his wines are good - I’ve bought an average of a case a year for the last decade - but I don’t think they are the best in the appellation, and I think his super-cuvees (La Tyre, Cuvee Prestige) are outrageously expensive (I have a couple of private notes on Cellartracker to the effect of 'very good, but nowhere near worth the money).

However, much like other TWS offers, the wines represented incredible value - they’ll cost you more from the cellar door at Bouscasse (Montus isn’t open to the public, a fact I have managed to forget on 3 separate occasions!)

5 Likes

Brumont in general but Bouscasse in particular - definite vintage variation but also expression of terrior - The “Argile Rouge” is extrordinary - hard to find in the UK though.

2 Likes

thanks - will do a bit of reading !

Just don’t try his whites…was’nt impressed. I do like Madiran tannat with a good bit of age however.

I’d agree, it can come across as an angular, muscular white. But Montus PdVB is Petit Courbu (ISTR), and is also built for ageing - I think he recommends up to 20 years.

Laffitte-Testons PdVB sec ‘Cuvee Ericka’ is a better bet than Montus Blanc and at a fraction of the price (however, I think Brumonts sweeties are quite good, when given plenty of age). Which is a feat in itself, as it’s majority (all?) Petit Manseng - it generally produces overblown whites if care hasn’t been taken.

1 Like

Hello all - my first post on TWS Community as I couldn’t resist a thread about Madiran.

As several people have already written, Brumont is surely the go-to. I have been enjoying the 2010 Bouscasse a lot although it feels like a winter wine to me. I’m saving my remaining cases for November onwards, when all that duck and potato seems easier to justify…

4 Likes

Welcome to TWS Community. Enjoy!

I disagree with this interpretation. It is perfectly possible to be a huge fan of a particular wine without drinking to excess. Welcome to the community @WinePunk!

5 Likes

Struggle a bit with Madiran - like most SW French wines, it’s hard going if you don’t eat big slabs of red meat. Would be interested to see if anyone has found a vegetarian dish that works (I’m not vegetarian, but am not intending getting me Dover sole out :grinning: )

I’ve enjoyed Capmartin too in the past - the vv is great value for a long ageing wine.

1 Like

A refreshing Marcillac can solve this problem… :+1:

1 Like

I’ve never found a Madiran I particularly enjoyed, but I haven’t eaten meat for about 40 years. Now I understand!

2 Likes

It was a bit tongue in cheek.

I find that Ceps on toast (naturally when in season) fried in plenty of butter with garlic is the best partner - I’d actually disagree that red meat is a good partner to all of them them (certainly steaks anyway), stews and Veal seem to be better accompaniments.

And if you want to get me really angry, just wait until I read another lazy wine writer say ‘drink with cassoulet’! No! The beans are too sweet - and Cassoulet is more a Lauragais obsession anyway, so drink Fronton, Gaillac or Languedoc with it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Totally agree - butter (or fat) is the key. Properly aged Madiran works really well with all sorts of wild mushrooms. However meat also works if cooked right and nice a rich - eg rump steak with garlic butter or (my personal favourite) duck confit.

Revisited the 2010 Bouscasse last night (worked well with very cheesy vegetable lasagna) - fruit forward with some spice coming through at the end. Tannin well integrated. IMHO needs a little more time to evolve. Still some left for tonight!

Next bottle is Domaine Laougue Marty 2014 - new to me and given as a gift - anyone had experience of this?

1 Like