01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Lyon recommendations

I am off to Lyon for a work trip in July. I don’t think I’Il have all that much time to get out and about and definitely not outside of the city. But I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for food, drinks, wine merchants to visit etc? Going via the Eurostar so no restrictions on what I can bring back with me :smirk: (at least not within the amount I’d actually be able to carry).

Thanks for any tips :slight_smile:

There’s a Bourdain episode on Lyon, lots of very rich food from what I remember!

Antic wine has a great range …. I don’t think they have a website but here is the address ;

18 Rue de Boeuf (which is really central).

2 Likes

We went last August. Really enjoyed it. We particularly liked exploring the area around Place des Capucins at aperitif time as it’s really lively with a university crowd. For a traditional bouchon we ate at Bouchon d l’opera on Rue des Capucins which we enjoyed but I probably ate too much offal! If you are self catering then the main market halls “Halles Paul Bocusse” are fantastic. Enjoy!

1 Like

Brasserie Georges near the Perrache railway station is a local institution.
Been there several times.
If you are interested in an authentic bouchon try Cafe des Federations. Used to have a superb squat toilet!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips everyone! As it turns out sadly I didn’t actually manage to make it to any of these, partly as a result of bastille day celebrations and failing to book anywhere early enough.

But I did come back with this little haul

And the bouchon recommended by a French ex colleague was spot on. Daniel et Denise (I went to the Rue Crequi one) is well worth a visit.

4 Likes