01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Lunch with a Buyer: Marcel Orford-Williams, Tuesday 5th May, 1-2pm

While our Buyers are currently stuck at home, unable to traverse the world looking for great new wines for us, we’ve been enjoying the opportunity to get to know them a bit better! This is the fifth of our informal lunchtime Q&A sessions.

Thank you to everyone who attended our Buyer’s Lunch with @horsleym - if you missed it and would like to catch up, please have a read of the thread here: LIVE FROM 1PM: Lunch with a Buyer: Matthew Horsley, Tuesday 28th April 1-2pm

**For our next Buyer’s Lunch, we are very pleased to announce that we will be joined by our Buyer @owmarcel! **

Lunch with a Buyer: Marcel Orford-Williams, Tuesday 5th May, 1-2pm

Marcel Orford-Willians is our Wine Society Buyer for Rhône, Southern and Regional France and Germany, having worked in our Buying department since 1986.

On Tuesday lunchtime, Marcel’s joining us for a Q&A - perhaps you’d like to ask about Marcel’s journey over the years as a Wine Society Buyer, or maybe you’d like to know where his inspiration comes from for his fantastic ‘A Glace with Marce’ videos that he’s been providing for us during lockdown? Join us for an hour - maybe even bring a glass of something along - for a fun discussion about all things wine!

How to take part

Please send us your questions in advance, by replying to this topic - or just log in to the Community before 1pm on Tuesday and there’ll be a ‘ LIVE FROM 1PM: Lunch with a Buyer ’ topic where the event will take place. The chat will be in written format - like a regular topic here.

We hope you can make it along! Who’s planning on joining us for lunch?

• I’ll be there!
  • I can’t make it, but I’ll send a question in advance.

0 voters

1 Like

Are there any plans to get more spatburgunder, lemberger and other red varietals in from Germany? I think they provide some exceptional value for money compared to Burgundy!

7 Likes

We are currentLy really enjoying the CdR Reserve Wine Society 2016. I was a bit disappointed that there was no equivalent in the 2018 EP campaign. Will this return in 2019 and perhaps you can explain its absence in 2018?

4 Likes

Hi Marcel,

Any plans to introduce Sekt to TWS’ offer? I’ve had quite a few and while there are some uninspiring examples, I’ve also had a few crackers. What are the chances?

5 Likes

Topical for what I’ve been drinking tonight: how is the Rhône, and particularly the south, adjusting to rising temperatures and alcohol levels? Will we see a shift in focus towards higher altitude wines e.g. Gigondas and Vinsobres?

6 Likes

I’d also be interested in trying more Sekt

On a similar theme, what do you think of Jura, Marcel? I recently tried some reds and whites for the first time and found them really exciting. Prospects for getting in any Poulsard or Trousseau?!

8 Likes

Hi Marcel – As I’ve got older I’ve suffered more from reflux and become much more sensitive to acid. So much so that I find some higher acid wines virtually undrinkable now. I drink more Rhone, red and white, than anything else and love it. But would you recommend any other wines (especially red, which is 90% of my consumption) at the low-acid end of the spectrum?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t want to front-run Marcel’s reply, but I do remember him answering a similar question previously, suggesting that mourvedre was the future of CNDP because it’s getting very hot for grenache. I guess Beaucastel’s investments in both Gigondas and Vinsobres tell their own story too.

4 Likes

I am a lover of Swiss wines–and in particular Valais Reds.
Only place I can get them in UK is from Betty’s [Harrogate York etc] but feel it would be a worthwhile offer from the Wine Society.

3 Likes

Hi Marcel, forgive me if you have this twice, the first version has not shown as far as I can see , hence another go. We are planning a north to south trip down the Rhône. Could you suggest four wineries not to be missed and that are essential to understanding the region.

4 Likes

I love Swiss wine too! Have you ever tried ordering from Alpine Wines? They’re great, if not cheap! :+1:

3 Likes

My question to Marcel is - what is your favourite wine area in your portfolio and why?
Thanks, Inbar

6 Likes

Hi Marcel, What do you think is the most underrated /under appreciated appellation in the Rhone? Where are you finding the real VFM bargains emerging from in this region? Thanks!

8 Likes

Hi Marcel,
It was interesting to see you enjoying a 2003 Clos des Papes on social media recently. One might expect a 2003 CNDP to be past it - but seemingly not? I confess I find the ageing of Rhone wines (North and South) confusing. Are there good rules of thumb, and do you think Northern Rhones (or Southern) tend to have closed periods like Burgundy?

9 Likes

I’ve been enjoying your videos from home :slight_smile: I’m surprised at your choice of corkscrew, what do you have against a lever? Other buyers have mentioned you as the master of opening old bottles, so I’m curious on your corkscrew thoughts!

7 Likes

I bought a mixed case of Condrieu in the 2013 EP offer, haven’t seen one since.

I really appreciated having those wines and going through them, any chance of another one being offered in future EP campaigns or fine wine lists?

2 Likes

My question is about Rioja…what’s the read on Rioja 2017 vintage and is there a plan for a Rioja Alta 874 for this vintage?

I might be wrong, but I don’t think Marcel’s portfolio includes Rioja…? I might be missing something though!

1 Like

Oh …just a Rhône chat then no worries.
Dozy morning :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s Sunday, you’re allowed! :+1::wink: