01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Loving German Wines

Germany wine producers have been blessed with a run of very good vintages from 2015 and now there’s talk of 2019 being outstanding. The first wine I tasted, was given to me by my father at the age of 10, a classic Piesporter Michelsberg while on holiday in Ibiza, which was perfect for a 10-year-old on holiday, slightly sweet and low alcohol.
I continued to buy and drink German wines (when old enough) and in the early 80’s when wine became very important to me, I was fortunate to attend tastings of old German spatlese’s, auslese’s, and on the odd occasion, beerenauslese’s, from vintages including 1959, 1971 & 1976, truly memorable.
I’ve dipped my toe in the water for German en Primeur over the last 5 years and this weekend, with friends, opened a delicious 2015 spatlese from the Mosel, produced by Weingut Vollenweider. The consensus was, ‘we don’t drink enough German wine’ which is true as German wines did fall out of favour for a number of years with the offers of New World Chardonnay’s and Sauvignon’s, but thankfully, with these recent wonderful vintages, hopefully, the interest in German wines will return?
Refreshingly crisp, with a prickle of tiny bubbles, this Vollenweider riesling had delicious soft honey fruit, good balance of acidity and an apple skin finish. Thankfully I have more and I hope to be drinking the rest of these wines over the next 20 years??

16 Likes

I was fortunate to serve with the RAF in Germany for two tours of 4 years each (1973-76 and 1986-90). I thus got to know the Mosel very well and my first introduction to decent German wine was at Weingut Josef Schmitt in Trittenheim in 1974, where I tasted a 1971 Trittenheimer Apotheke Kabinett. A wonderful introduction to German wine!
I am pleased that we can now buy ‘halb troken’ German wines as these now more to my taste but, why oh why, do our Supermarket owners still stock their shelves with Liebfraumilch, Blue Nun, Black Tower and other very ordinary products?

2 Likes