01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Loire Recommendations

Have an excellent time @NickP !

We’ve done some great trips in that part of the world and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Am just in Monts and would recommend going to visit bernard baudry vigneron.
www.chinon/vignoble/bernardbaudry .
Chateau Chenonceau is definitely worth a visit but the Abbaye was disappointing.
We had a lovely dinner at restaurant de la liodiere and tried the olga raffault les picasses 2011 chinon red 100% cab franc. Delicious.

3 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! We’re back now. Full report to follow but managed to check out many of the recommendations in this thread. Bought some Baudry but haven’t tasted yet - turns out they are appointment only and we weren’t quite organised enough, but found a seller in Chinon

Can thoroughly recommend Filiatrau (sp?) as well, especially as they have some aged releases. Not all the other top producers do so we’re going to have to show some patience!!

2 Likes

Didnt know one has to make an appointment . We must have been very lucky as we drove there on the saturday morning on the off chance and bumped into young Baudry who allowed us in as part of a group.
Just finished a bottle of his wine les grizeaux lovely enjoyed it very much

1 Like

Glad you were able to visit them!

I picked up a bottle of Les Griseaux (2015 I think) which sounds like it is drinking well now? Also a couple of Croix Boissee that I think will need keeping

Glad you enjoyed Filliatreau: interesting place, as well as good wines, and they have twice been very hospitable without appointment.

I took to checking websites (something I should have done before the trip) to check opening hours and more than I expected were appointment only

Filliatreau were open all day, very welcoming and chatted to us for some time even after we’d finished tasting and made our purchases. The wines were great, especially the Vieilles Vignes, L’affutee and a lovely aged dessert wine that they only had a few bottles left of

2 Likes

@Alchemist, thank you for some of your suggestions on this thread. I visited Chateau Langlois in Saumur based on your recommendation. I was very surprised at the sheer volume of wine we were able to taste when I kept asking. My friends came and met us for a few days and they really enjoyed the tour too. The “education” was extremely basic and at times not accurate but it was great to see the cellars and the production site. The kids even enjoyed it as you will see from this photo…:rofl:. We took away quite a few bottles so thanks again.

2 Likes

You would appear to have two very patient, well-behaved children @Leah, who seem very tolerant of mummy’s obsession… They’ll hopefully grow up being super knowledgeable about wine after such experiences!

2 Likes

Hahaha @VinoVeritas… if only you knew the truth that my 3 year old is currently like the devil possessed and the only thing that remotely makes him semi-sane is toy story 3 :see_no_evil:! I’ll take that :rofl::fr:!

1 Like

LOL, yes I remember the educational bit at the beginning now you mention it! Which wines did you like/purchase? I may well pop in on the way back north next weekend. In the past I’ve bought their Cremant rosé, Cremant Millésimé and Coteaux de Layon but always interested in more recent recommendations.

1 Like

Hi Matt, I purchased the Crémant Millésieme also. Its quite complex and I really enjoyed it. Purchased a couple bottles of the sparkling red which was nice and the sancerre red, a nice light and fresh PN. Also bought a few bottles of the Clos St Florent and Vielles vignes Saumur- Champigny. I wasn’t so keen on either but the OH liked them, I personally found the tannins a bit green. It worth bearing in mind that Majestic Calais also stock some of their range, not sure which ones but maybe have a look online if you don’t have time to stop off in Saumur. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If anyone needs a Loire fix right now, Lay and Wheeler have released their 2020 offer.
Some nice bottles in there:
https://www.laywheeler.com/loire2020

3 Likes

Try Raffault for top-drawer Chinon at reasonable price.

I would recommend,

this Claude Riffault Sauvignon Blanc:
https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?price=in-bond&id=1119495A

and this producer (who does not appear strictly to be part of this offer):

https://www.laywheeler.com/our-producers/damien-laureau

TWS have stocked the Les Genets at a better price than L&W in the past 12 months so perhaps worth waiting for it appear here again…

2 Likes

anything by Bouvet Ladubay…but thats because I like saying the name :rofl:

one of the visits on “sparkles street” in Saumur along with Ackerman and Veuve Amiot

1 Like

I took a quick look at LW enprimeur for Loire and thought was overpriced, I think they take the mickey having no middle of the road £10 type bottles. The few sub £10 bottles all had gone. come on wine merchants, give us some value if we are going to commit to en primeur.

1 Like