01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Lockdown Wine on TV

Anyone have any good recommendations for wine related films/ shows/ docs on the TV?

There’s a film on Netflix all about the (in)famous US vs French wine showdown “The Judgement of Paris”. It’s called “Bottle Shock” for those interested.

5 Likes

“Sour Grapes” was on Netflix, which is a docu-film telling the story of Rudy Kurniawan and is worth a watch.

Rudy went to prison for faking fine wines and selling them at auction. From Wikipedia…

He was found to be offering more magnums of the limited-edition 1947 Château Lafleur than had been produced, and his Clos St. Denis Grand Gru was labelled with a fictitious vintage. He was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment.

5 Likes

It is inspired by that tasting, but it bears little relationship with the actual event or those leading to it.

Amongst many other inaccuracies, the tasting took place in a hotel in Paris, not in California in the open :slight_smile:

The Wine Show is available to stream on Amazon Prime. Season 1 persuaded me to travel around Italy on holiday last year.

3 Likes

Is it any good? May as well get some value out of my Prime, cos at the moment delivery ain’t one of them!

2 Likes

Not TV, but most evenings there is a tasting/talk on

https://www.67pallmall.com/events/

I have tried 2: Musar was excellent, a second one was a little elementary.

1 Like

I meant to watch the Bordeaux one but forgot. Was that the one you found a bit ‘elementary’?

1 Like

No, it was the German one, I think the day after the Musar. It seemed to be all sekt, not a taste I have acquired. I plan to try the next German, Prum. Sorry about the lack of umlaut.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it. It’s easy watching TV. I think season 1 is better than 2 and there are some contrived parts but the tour of Italy is good and some of the discussions with winemakers was interesting. Give the first episode a go, you’ll get a feel for the show from that, it doesn’t really change

2 Likes

Simple but fun entertainment I’d say. I enjoyed the first series better than the second.

2 Likes

I recently rewatched Sideways. I hated it when first came out, but found it much more enjoyable this time around.

4 Likes

Iplayer has the 1980s classic series Floyd on France. I believe wine is involved in most episodes.

8 Likes

Bottle shock is definitely an entertaining 2 hours. Agree with @peterm, it bears little resemblance to the actual event; plus I’m pretty sure the Napa tourist board had a hand in making it judging from a lot of the shots used.

I’m not sure if all the Somm documentaries are still available on there but they’re also worth watching.

2 Likes

The tasting with Katharina Prum on the 67 Pall Mall series was good. They seem to be putting some recordings up on their website.

4 Likes

Watched the Somm series - three documentaries - the first on the Master Sommelier and third on a Pinot Noir mini Judgement of Paris were interesting.

Which service has these, and to find them does one search for ‘somm’ or what?

Somm 1,2 and 3 are streaming on amazon prime. If you are a prime member it’s included otherwise you can rent them

1 Like

Thanks; we are on Prime.

I’m halfway through Floyd in France now, thanks for pointing me to iPlayer. The man is a stonking alcoholic who insults the crew, his hosts and his viewers non stop. Great telly and hilarious throwback! :wine_glass:

5 Likes

It was supposedly held in France in the film! (Although it looked very Californian). The wine and 2 key characters make a transatlantic flight!!!