01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Lockdown 2

As per today’s announcement we are all bound for a month of home life with loads of restrictions. I wonder what will happen to TWS orders in the coming weeks

Mass ordering I imagine! :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Everything is possible. I have an order placed for delivery on Nov 26th :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Feeling very smug , put an order in last week …
But pride comes before a fall so DHL might yet manage to bring me crashing down …

2 Likes

Goodbye shiny red vans then?

Kind of waiting for Dominic Cummings to do something risible to show he’s a member of the übermensch and not like us common folk. If only it was something as interesting as a massive orgy in one of the royal parks. But he’s at heart an unimaginative, strange man, so it’ll be something sordid and energy-sucking.

And no, this isn’t ‘politics’. This is ‘morality’

9 Likes

Probably nothing will happen to our deliveries given new working practices have already been adopted.

10 Likes

@szaki1974. That’s my hope as well. This second lockdown has been signalled and should have been expected. Any business worth their salt will have been ensuring that processes and systems are in place.

My only slight concern is if Wine is not an essential item and the ‘click and collect’ element of the rules means that TWS can’t deliver.

1 Like

It’s even more bloodyessential now! If the rules have been devised in a way that permits click and collect but not delivery they are either very badly drafted or worded. These things have a habit of being rewritten all the time as the sloppy inconsistencies get called out, not to mention the Welsh nonsense.
Nothing would surprise me with these headless chickens though. Being in Scotland, I fully expect them to be able to deliver.

3 Likes

I think they are keeping the essential categories the same as the previous lockdown, so we should be ok in that respect.

I’m hoping TWS is able to run with its current dispatch procedures to include their own vans so no one has to go on furlough again (when they were restricted to courier service). Unless you’re near Aberdeen, however, courier service isn’t the end of the world :pleading_face:

1 Like

That would make sense. In Scotland we have varying batches of rules which change frequently too…I doubt if many could pass an exam on them! When is a cafe not a cafe? They got rid of that one before they lost a law case on it…

I very much hope that own vans can continue too. I am at the other end of the country from Aberdeen…why do you mention it?

1 Like

Sorry, made a mistake, I thought your courier issues stemmed from there, was Glasgow, wasn’t it?

Yes, more accurately, Motherwell. Covid capital of Scotland… :frowning_face:

2 Likes

No, they will crash your wine down…if my experience is anything to go by…

3 Likes

Nah - he’ll be working from home(s) like a good citizen. One might call into question the value of his ‘special advice’ given the current state of affairs and tanking approval ratings for his boss.

1 Like

There was I, getting my Rhone and Bordeaux EP out of reserves whilst I’m down south so they could be safely delivered by TWS van and now I’m having to run for home and it’s back to the courier lottery. I’ve generally done okay on this but I’m always in a bit of panic when it comes to EP deliveries as they are typically not so easily replaced. :frowning:

No way you can pick them up on the way up the A1? I’m guessing the showroom will close on Thursday too.

1 Like

Is it not deemed “Essential”??

There will always be issues with delivery.
My mind goes back to possibly 2010 ( just guessing the year :blush:), when in the lead up to Christmas the weather totally closed in. Lorries abandoned on Motorways and “A” Trunk Routes, and my Christmas cases were caught up in this mayhem. The Society repicked my order and got them delivered a few days before Christmas. :clap: :clap: :clap:
The abandoned lorry was retrieved, and those cases were delivered in the New Year. They were (after the thaw!!) collected and went back to Stevenage. The many, many hours that the Society expended making as sure as they could, that we all got our orders delivered, were a tribute to their commitment to the best possible service by the beleaguered and exhausted Society Staff :+1:
As far as my DHL service, the guy who delivered 8 WS boxes last week, was as helpful and friendly as ever, and arrived within an hour of my guestimate. Normally, 13:30 - !4:30.
I have a feeing that I am fortunate with delivery services.
When people, vans, weather and high demand (& now Covid-19) all come into play, is it any wonder that there are some instances of it all going “pear shaped??!!??”
My WS delivery van is very often full, way in advance of my requirement. :sob:
The driver is so good and friendly, he is a HUGE credit to the Society and is appreciated.
And not all has gone swimmingly, a few years ago a Donald Russel Christmas delivery fell foul to a problem, that shipment was eventually returned (post Christmas) to Aberdeenshire out of date and ruined, and I ended up on Christmas Eve searching for replacements. :open_mouth: :dragon:

1 Like

Majestic and several small ones have emailed to say they are staying open, some with restricted hours. And TWS confirmed to me this morning an order to pick up on Thursday.

Noel Young just in:
We would like to remind everyone that we are essential (as if you didn’t know!) and therefore will be open throughout the second lockdown.

3 Likes