01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE: Lunch with a Buyer: Wine Champs, Tuesday 16th June, 1-2pm

Well Matthew actually corrected me and thinks we only had one 100% score but I genuinely don’t know which wine it was!

I don’t think any of us have ever considered the amount of points we give across the entire tasting, however I can certainly say that we will always seem to give more or less points from one year to the next for individual tasting sessions when whatever we are tasting in that session has had a good/bad vintage.
For example, in the past we have had Champs where we have hardly scored any Sauvignon Blancs however this year we all scored highly in that session due to the excellent recent sauvignon vintages (especially in Marlborough).
It’s harder to say across the whole campaign of tastings though because while the Sauvignons may look great, the sweet and fortified (for example) may be less fruitful!

6 Likes

We were just chatting about this together, and think that you can see some of the broad trends while tasting blind. For instance a increase in the number of wines showing reduction on chardonnay and sauvignon, a reduction of oak generally, some increase in whole bunch spice notes on pinots, a higher number of lighter red wines and also on the opposite side a higher number of reds with some residual sugar. All of these broad trends can of course be both good and bad for the wines depending on how well the winemaker has handled it.
We are also seeing a trend towards cool climate styles. Finally there is a great trend for fewer faults! This year we had very few faulty bottles to replace whereas some of the team remember the level being substantially higher 10 years ago or more.

9 Likes

Such a fascinating session! We have about 10 minutes left for any last-minute questions :smiley:

1 Like

No idea to be honest! But that’s also sort of not the point, especially since it was just in the mix amongst other Italian wines, so we weren’t to know it was even an oddity.

4 Likes

I was very pleased to see Pauletts Polish Hill River Riesling 2013 both back as a Champion and back in stock. I tried this last year and loved it (although it does seem to divide opinion!) but believe it was out of stock when I came to re-order it after last year’s Champions campaign. Due to its age, are we approaching the last few supplies of this wine or are future restocks expected?

3 Likes

Ah, of course! That makes more sense (duh! Silly me). So the fact that we have THREE 2016 Chiantis winning this year is a pretty bloomin’ good sign that 2016 Chianti is well worth trying?!

Because if so, that makes our Wine Champs #TWSTaste even more exciting…

5 Likes

Pre-lockdown I was blind tasting with a group of MW students at least once a week. Now it isn’t so easy… Hopefully will be able to crack on with this again soon.

2 Likes

I managed to bag an additional parcel of this before Champs as it’s just such a good wine, with age, for the price. I subsequently entered it into this years tastings again and it came out on top! Hooray! I would say make the most of it while it lasts because I think we snapped up all that the winery had to offer us.
I will keep an eye out for the next vintage however.

8 Likes

Exactly! That’s one of the great things about this exercise! :smiley:

3 Likes

Funnily enough, was included in my very first WS order… :smiley:

1 Like

Freddy, quick question on a personal wine champ of mine. Does the society have any back stock or are there any plans to restock Peter Wetzers wine??

3 Likes

I seem to remember a Teroldego has won in a previous year, so perhaps its one of those under the radar wines we should all be drinking more of. Bin Series, Freddy?!

8 Likes

What a brilliant way to spend a lunchtime. Thank you all so much for taking part and for your questions!

A huge thank you to our Buyers @lockej, @horsleym, @Toby.Morrhall, @Sarah and @Freddy for taking the time to join us and answer our questions in such fascinating detail!

Thank you all again and have a lovely rest of the afternoon!

5 Likes

I definitely had the highest ratio of winners:entrants :wink:

4 Likes

We actually have a few of his reds in stock, made from Kekfrankos. @horsleym Matthew has since taken over the Hungarian range so he may now be better placed to let you know what he plans to do with them or whether he has more furmint related plans!

1 Like

5 Likes

Brilliant thank you.

1 Like

@David007 indeed! We still have stock of the Furmint - this’ll be made available again in the November Fine Wine List. As Freddy mentions we have three different Kekfrankos which we will release in a producer focus at some point. Sales programme has been put through the wringer over the last few months and e-mail slots are in high demand so this will likely be at the start of next year now… Apologies @szaki1974 as I know you’re keen to get your hands on these as well.

6 Likes

Such an interesting session! The whole process is fascinating, and it’s wonderful to know that TWS is probably the only merchant that runs this sort of blind tasting event for the benefit of its members. Super! :clap: :clap:

7 Likes

There is also his Leithaberg Blaufrankisch which he made just over the border in Austria, which will make an appearance at the same time, no doubt.

4 Likes