01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste: Wine Champions 2021, Thursday 22nd July, 8-9pm

Ooh, defo agree with the pear, wow! And just a tiny hint of sugary spice. Very nice!

2 Likes

Mrs CC: reminding me of opening a packet of Spangles (showing age…)

3 Likes

Lots of pear, green apple, and a bit of pineapple. Quite lively on the nose!

3 Likes

Even heavily chilled, the scent is powerful

3 Likes

Let’s give it a taste! :smiley:

See what you think and let us know if it matches the aromas.

Mrs CC: quite acidic, sharply citrus.

2 Likes

I’m getting a wee touch of fizz. Definitely citrus. Maybe I’m channelling the sherbert dib dabs?

3 Likes

Much fuller and more fruit to this one, and agree @Croquetchris with the citrus note. Lime and a touch of honeysuckle.

2 Likes

I keep forgetting how much I love Gruner! There’s fresh citrus, juicy stone fruit, that pineapple comes through on the palate, and it finishes with a wonderful peppery finish! Acidity is definitely up there but I think any less and it would start to feel flabby. For a wine with such freshness, there’s a fullness to it too which I find intriguing.

2 Likes

This is better with the panzanella but also good with cheddar. I suspect cheddar is good with everything though

2 Likes

Ooh I did wonder about this, as our glass has a few bubbles!

I don’t have any cheddar but it’s better match than stilton I would think - that’s why I’m leaving my stilton in the fridge this time!

Mrs CC: I agree on the cheddar. I think it would be good with Wiener Schnitzel (with chips) because it would be a sharp foil for the breadcrumbs and chips.

2 Likes

Ooh, I can get the peppery finish now

2 Likes

What are we thinking, food-wise? We’ve had cheddar and Wiener Schnitzel, any other matches?

Mrs CC: I think it would be good with fish and chips (except champagne would probably be my first choice).

2 Likes

My salad wasn’t a great match for either wine - too many competing flavours - but this might be nice with, say, cold poached salmon

3 Likes

For some reason I can’t get scallops out of my head…yes, I have expensive taste :joy:

2 Likes

Some very varied food matches! And finally, marks out of 10 for this one?

Mrs CC: 7.5 from us

2 Likes