01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste 'Weird' Wines, Thursday 28th May, 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual ‘Weird’ Wines tasting.

If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

We also always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers if you’d like to participate.

Before we start, we’ll clarify one thing - we don’t believe there are any ‘weird’ wines! One person’s ‘weird’ wine is another person’s treasure! For this tasting, we’re looking for unusual grapes, regions and styles - this will be a chance to explore new wines that you may not have come across before, and an opportunity to stray off the beaten track. Between us, we’ll be trying all things ‘weird’ and wonderful!

It doesn’t matter if it’s a zweigelt from Austria, a marselan from the Languedoc or a Viorica from Moldova - anything that you want to open is welcome, as are you!

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@Ewan and @martin_brown - two of our original Community crew and members of our Brand and Content Team
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
  2. We’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  3. We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
  4. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post , so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  5. We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, as there are so many of us taking part, it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  6. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!

Looking forward to tonight’s event! See you all there! :grinning:

3 Likes
Vintage Wine Region User
Maso Furli Manzoni Bianco Dolomites @Brocklehurstj
Lindisfarne Mead, Beer, and Rum blend… England @Herbster
Prunelart Gaillac @mjamezz13
Ukranian Kagor Ukraine @davescott
NV Vila Istenic Slovenia @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis
1928 Maury Solera Maury @Lloydy
2006 Moldova de Lux Moldova @sm42
Domaine Rotier Len de L’El Gaillac @John_Doe
2010 Valdicava Brunello Brunello @Aspedini
2011 Pink Tapon St Emilion Bordeaux @Awd1998
2012 Domaine Rotier Gaillac Rouge Gaillac @chris250
2013 Clos Stegasta Asyrtyko, T-Oinos Tinos @szaki1974
2014 Lyrarakis Mandilara Plakoura Greece @Tannatastic
2015 Vinkara Okuzgozu Bogazkere Turkey @MikeFranklin
2016 Vinkara Okuzgozu Bogazkere Turkey @laura @MrLaura
Diamantakos Naoussa Greece @Croquetchris
2017 PolOpuesto Qué Grande SOS! Vino Criollo Mendoza @martin_brown
Puklavec Family Cab Merlot Republic of Macedonia @Alasdair
Riesling Kung Fu Charles Smith Washington @Croquetchris
Villavino Raca Bratislava @Steve_G
2018 Aldi Black Star Pflaz @Inbar
Nikoloz Antadze, Rkatsiteli, Kahketi Georgia @danchaq
Sabar Kéknyelü, Kömagas Hungary @Ewan

Apologies it’s a bit late. I THINK I’ve got everyone. Apologies if I’m missing any details/vintages!

8 Likes

I’ll make my easier by adding it early then…

2014 Lyrarakis Mandilara Plakoura (Mandilara is the variety, Plakoura the vineyard :sunglasses:).

4 Likes

We are planning on opening
2017 Riesling Kung Fu Charles Smith Wines of Washington State
2016 Diamantakos Naoussa of Greece - this is a Xinomavro
Also might open
2018 Dereszla Tokaji Furmint - 5.99 from Lidl.

6 Likes

A-ha! Will be interested in this, if you do open it. Got one in the rack. The Kung Fu Riesling is lovely… :+1:

1 Like

I was certain we didn’t have anything that qualified as “weird”, but the other half had been poking around on CT and has just sent me a pic of this dessert wine, the grape is Loin de L’Oeil, upon investigation otherwise known as Len de L’El, from the Gaillac region of France.

Interesting to read in the Decanter article linked to by @Tannatastic in the previous thread that the grape variety is believed to be a descendant of the wild vines of the forest of Southwest France.

I have a feeling this wine may be past it - inital reading tells me that these can be flabby as the grape itelf lacks acidity, before the decade or so since it has been bottled.

Off to investigate some more weird wines of Southwest France!

6 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to open this bottle during the tasting. It has lived at the bottom of my wine rack for sometime.

It is a society bottled Bordeaux Superieur Chateau Tuillac 1973.

I do not know if this winery still exists and would welcome any advice from members who have more knowledge than me.

5 Likes

Well, my bête noire has been decanted:

Initial aromas of dark fruit, and something yogurt-like which I can only describe as a strawberry Petits Filous… Hm! :thinking:

See you all later! :smiley:

9 Likes

The thumb-in-air figure that most give is between 12 and 15 years. If it’s Vendange Tardive, they’ll go a longer - Plageoles reckon their Vin d’Autan (admittedly Ondenc) will go a century for example.

3 Likes

Hmmm no mention of Vendange Tardive either on the bottle or online, but we might luck in (luck out? I never know) and this will be right in the sweet spot! :ok_hand: :+1: :pray:

1 Like

I am going to open a Gaillac Rouge, also from Domaine Rotier “Les Gravels” 2012! 35% Duras, 35% Braucol (Fer Servadou) and 30% SyrahGaillac|375x500

8 Likes

What a coincidence! See the Gaillac I am opening from Domaine Rotier. Where did your bottle come from?

1 Like

I’m gonna plump for the twisted blend: mead, beer and rum :open_mouth:

11 Likes

You will have to open it sometime! It was a very poor vintage but the wine could be interesting

I got mine from an auction, one of those random lots where you don’t know what’s in it until it arrives at your door. Consequently, I also don’t know how it has been stored before it came here, hence my expectations are low.

I have taken some brie out of the fridge nevertheless :cheese: :baguette_bread:

Where did yours come from?

4 Likes

The Wine Society, although I kept this bottle longer than I intended.

3 Likes

We’re trying a wine from Bratislava this evening.
Its a white wine, 2017 Villavino Raca from Devin. No idea what to expect!

7 Likes

I love the sound of this evening’s tasting! Most people (myself included!) seem to have no pre-conceptions about what they’re going to taste this evening… Exciting! :clap:

5 Likes

Here’s mine for tonight. Popped out of the office this afternoon and asked for something unusual, yet delicious. Fingers crossed.

8 Likes

Very sorry but I have sinned. I meant to open something weird - really I did - but then I was looking at a bottle of 2010 Valdicava Brunello and, before I knew it, the cork had come out. Then I decanted some and now I’m drinking it.

I can’t claim it’s weird so I’ll relegate myself to watching what happens this evening. Looking forward to reading about some of the gems you will all be opening, especially the meady cocktail thing from Lindisfarne. I still have 5 bottles of their mead in a cupboard, ready for those Viking-themed evenings we all secretly enjoy.

7 Likes