Good afternoon/evening everyone!
Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual ‘Weird’ Wines tasting.
If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!
If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events
We also always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers if you’d like to participate.
Before we start, we’ll clarify one thing - we don’t believe there are any ‘weird’ wines! One person’s ‘weird’ wine is another person’s treasure! For this tasting, we’re looking for unusual grapes, regions and styles - this will be a chance to explore new wines that you may not have come across before, and an opportunity to stray off the beaten track. Between us, we’ll be trying all things ‘weird’ and wonderful!
It doesn’t matter if it’s a zweigelt from Austria, a marselan from the Languedoc or a Viorica from Moldova - anything that you want to open is welcome, as are you!
Who’s on hand to help tonight
We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)
@laura - Community Manager
@Ewan and @martin_brown - two of our original Community crew and members of our Brand and Content Team
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services
Here’s how things will work:
- We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
- We’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
- We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
- To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post , so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
- We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, as there are so many of us taking part, it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
- After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.
And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!
Looking forward to tonight’s event! See you all there!