01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Two new Blind Spot reds, Thu 18th Feb 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual tasting of two new Blind Spot wines.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

This is a chance to try two new reds from our Blind Spot range made exclusively for us in collaboration with the brilliant Mac Forbes in Australia.

The wines we’ll be trying tonight are:

Wine 1: Blind Spot Strathbogie Ranges Pinot Noir 2020

Wine 2: Blind Spot Touriga Nacional 2020

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have some staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@MrLaura - one of our wine advisers in Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We’ll post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  2. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. Take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  3. We’ll then taste the wines together, one by one and ask you to share your own tasting note. Do add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  4. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, favourite wine of the two or final thoughts.

And after that, if you want to continue chatting about the wines then please feel free!

Looking forward to tonight’s tasting and to try these wines! See you all there! :smiley: Feel free to start chatting below and we’ll get going officially at 8pm.

4 Likes

Without mentioning any names, someone accidentally put these wines in an order that’s not arriving until 10th of March. I am getting REALLY good at missing these!

4 Likes

Noooo! :see_no_evil: Never mind - make sure you tell us what you thought when you get a chance to try them! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @laura. We won’t be able to join tonight but is there any sense of the next community event? Just about to place an order and wouldn’t want to mis time it!

Yes indeed, Andrew! It’s going to be on March 18th and it’ll be South Africa themed. :smiley: I’ll be posting details of the wines on the Community some time around 3rd or 4th March, if that helps (they won’t be available for sale before then!). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @laura. Really helpful and I hope everyone enjoys this evening.

3 Likes

First talking point of the night. An Aussie wine with a flipping cork in it! OK it’s synthetic but wasn’t expecting that.

1 Like

We’ll get cracking in a few minutes. In the meantime, let us know if you’ll be joining us! :smiley:

Who’s Here?
  • I’m here and ready to taste!
  • I’m lurking, not posting.
  • I don’t have the wines but I’m here for the fun!

0 voters

2 Likes

4 Likes

Might have already cracked into the pinot noir…

5 Likes

Hello everyone. I only have the pinot, er ,which I’ve already tucked into. Apparently the ability to defer pleasure is a sign of intelligence, oh well !

6 Likes

I only have the Touriga Nacional, because it was part of a different tasting last week. (Much better after a week: the rest of you have opened it too late.)

4 Likes

Good evening everyone! So lovely to have you all here with us. Seems like some of us have already got stuck in (which is completely understandable :smiley: ), so shall we get started with the Pinot Noir? Give it a sniff and see what you think. Does anyone get anything in particular?

2 Likes

Dark Fruit, berries

2 Likes

Mrs CC: blackberries, hint of pear drop, jute sacking and a hint of aniseed. Lovely!

2 Likes

For me the nose is all lively redcurrant and dark cherry with just a hint of pepper straight after opening. As it warms up a bit, there’s a touch of sweet spice coming through. Had a little bit of sediment too which was a surprise!

2 Likes

Ours hasn’t been out of the fridge long enough this evening but last night we were getting redcurrant, orange peel, dried pear and violets(!)

2 Likes

Very pale, like a diluted glass of Ribena. I get something slightly savoury on the nose as well as the red currants mentioned in the notes - which I shouldn’t have read really in advance of forming own opinion

2 Likes

Pepper and smokey. Mrs Maths gets orange peel and ribina

2 Likes

So our notes were:
Looks - very light. Smells - lots of lemon and a hint of fruit. Tastes - slightly fizzy, with blueberries and lemon coming in at the start and finishing with a herby peppery taste.
We had it after a chipotle and caramelised onion burger, but figure it would work wonderfully as an “early evening red” with nibbles.

5 Likes