01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste the 'past it' bottle experiment, Thursday 25th June, 8-9pm

Got excited and opened it. First impressions: no overwhelming smell of vinegar or any of the other bad things I was expecting when I opened it.

It’s one hell of a colour!

12 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you Kelly

1 Like

Okay, here goes…!

As we’re tasting mature wines, shall we start by having a quick look at the appearance of the wine? What are your first impressions?!

1 Like

1983 Cornas from Jaboulet

It is a tawny colour.

5 Likes

Also very clear. Slightly marred by my butlers thief pushing the cork all the way into the bottle, which is less than ideal, but still.

3 Likes

Tempranillo 2017 (aged in barrel);
Rich red in colour

5 Likes

Castell de Raimat Xarel-lo/Chardonnay 2011. Straw/gold if a touch pale. Not faroff what you might expect a 10ish year old burgundy to look like if not poxed.

7 Likes

Nice golden yellow on the Te Koko

6 Likes

2000 Chateau La Tour de Mons, Crus Bourgeoise, Margaux

Well, better than expected.
Really deep red with only a hint of age around the edge.
Rich on the nose, not a hint damp cellars or vinegar.
You can definitely smell wood, dark fruits if anything but the fruit is restrained.
Good so far!

10 Likes

@Kelly and I started on a bottle of 2013 Okuzgozu (excuse the lack of accents) from Vinkara in Turkey which was slightly corked. Luckily I had a backup bottle! So we are staying off the beaten track with a 2012 Romanian red which has been gathering dust on the wine rack!

12 Likes

So, not entirely sure where this came from. It’s been with us for a few years and I seem to remember seeing the word ‘Priorat’ and thinking, oooh must save that one! I later found out it’s about £7 from Asda, and not to make sweeping assumptions, wouldn’t think a wine from a supermarket at that price point would all that ageworthy. First impressions on opening though…not horrendous!

7 Likes

Evening all. Milbrandt Chardonnay 2013 from Washington State. Drinking window 2014-2017. Has spent the last 5 years at the back of my desk, so at office temperature! image

11 Likes

Can I steal that as a tasting note in future? :grin:

7 Likes

Looks like there are some potentially cracking wines tonight! The stakes are very high tonight! Hopefully lots of pleasant surprises rather than crushing disappointment!

3 Likes

This is getting into the spirit of it!

1 Like

A fascinating spectrum of colours on show tonight! Ours (the 2013 priorat @MrLaura mentioned) is ruby with a hint of brick on the rim.

What about the aromas (I know some of you have been sniffing away already!) - what are you getting? Are they pleasant?

Jones Blanc Grenache Gris 2014

Mrs CC: very pale straw colour

2 Likes

Veuve Clicquot NV

The colour is golden I would say. Anyone has any idea how I can tell when it might have been disgorged?

1 Like

Isn’t that supposed to be the perfect thing for tonight? Well done I say!

1 Like

Too warm inside so we have moved out. Grenache Gris is very pale

4 Likes