01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste the 'past it' bottle experiment, Thursday 25th June, 8-9pm

Mysterious!

6 Likes

The Beaucastel Blanc 1990 should have been opened some years ago, but it was well made with good fruit, and still stands. The other half rejects it so we have been drinking a young burgundy as well.
Lovely evolved white wine it stands in its acidity balances by a sherry and aged fruit note but it’s still enjoyable.

8 Likes

OK. I’d say it was a 5 when I first opened it and it’s down to a 2 now.

4 Likes

1999 Santenay Clos du Genet (Verget)

It’s not improving - the nose and palate is slowly departing, just leaving the structural elements now. But since we’ve finished it, bar a splash left in my glass, who cares?

No scores from me. Oh allright then … 3.55.

3 Likes

As much as a liked the Romanian 2012 red, upon going to pour myself a second glass I accidentally poured a glass of 2010 Cullen Diana Madeline instead.

7 Likes

This has definitely been interesting - perhaps not quite as ‘pleasant’ as our usual tastings but it made up for it in intrigue and… well, can we call it science?! :smiley:

If you want an altogether more promising experience of tasting GOOD wines, our next #TWSTaste is on 9th July - but there’s a catch:

If you want to join us, the two wines have sold out individually, but they’re still featured in this mixed case of six (which is, in itself, low stock!):

Our next ‘bring your own’ #Twstaste is Portugal themed, on 16th July:

I hope you’ll join us? We’d love to hear more ideas for what you’d like to see as Tasting themes?!

7 Likes

And is that past it?

Absolutely not. It’s got years left. I had it open anyway so figured it would make sense to polish it off…!

The story of tonight’s tasting, in which Freddy decides to go downstairs!

9 Likes

Thanks for a different but enjoyable tasting event.

3 Likes

It was something of a joke. Still, wish I had a job that forced me to open wine like that!

4 Likes

Quite the coincidence - my other half dislikes Roussanne wines, especially mature ones. I love them.

3 Likes

Thank you for this evening’s event. Great fun!

2 Likes

Definitely and great to see lots of ‘pleasantly surprised’ conclusions! Thanks @laura and thanks everyone for joining! Looking forward to the chiantis…

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone for coming along and bringing your ‘past it’ wines! :smiley: I normally say ‘go and enjoy another glass’ but tonight… maybe pour yourself something else! :laughing:

5 Likes

@Kelly and @laura - This has been a great tasting! Lots of “pleasant surprises” from people by the looks of it, which is fantastic! A perfect excuse to open those dodgy old bottles.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I am mostly surprised it was neither vinegar nor orange coloured water!

Sad at the lack of a @Leah given that it was her idea.

5 Likes

move on those dodgy old bottles

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Been great fun as always. See you next time!

Bye!

7 Likes

Night night, all!

7 Likes