Good afternoon/evening everyone!
Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Roam around the Rhône tasting.
If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!
If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events
Rhône Wine Guides
If you are new to tasting wines from the Rhône, you might find it helpful to read our Ultimate Guide to Rhône Wines
A NOTE FROM OUR RHÔNE BUYER, MARCEL ORFORD-WILLIAMS**
"The first thing to note is that the Rhône is still a fairly recent thing. Unlike Bordeaux or burgundy. How on earth did we live without these wines? I guess the answer is that the wine-drinking community was very much smaller and ate simpler foods.
Thanks to cookery writers such as Elizabeth David and others and thanks to our ability to travel, we were introduced to Mediterranean cooking and lifestyle. And with it, came the wines of the region, be it the Rhône or Italy.
So Rhône wines go with the foods that we currently enjoy eating. We cook with far more ingredients than we used to. And the number of ingredients has grown enormously. The generous nature of Rhône wines is admirably suited to highly seasoned dishes.
And there is a reassuring reliability about the wines. The climate is holiday perfect in most years and the wines tend to reflect the warmth of the Mediterranean sun.
And then I would say: the people are just like the wines they make -generous, warm-hearted, individualistic, care-free.
When is there not a good time to be drinking Rhône wine?"
Who’s on hand to help tonight
We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)
@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@Ewan and @martin_brown - two of our original Community crew and members of our Brand and Content Team
@Freddy - our buyer for Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Eastern Europe and beers
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services
Here’s how things will work:
- We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
- I’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
- We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
- To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post, so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
- We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, as there are so many of us taking part, it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
- After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.
And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!
Really looking forward to tonight’s event! See you there