01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Christmas Curiosities, Thursday 12th November, 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE Christmas Curiosities virtual tasting.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

Our Christmas Fine Wine List is out now, so we thought this #TWSTaste would be a lovely opportunity to try two wines included in this list, from our Christmas Curiosity Shop!

The wines we’ll be trying tonight are:

Vin de France Garance ‘Inclassable’ Pineau d’Aunis, Bois-Brinçon

From the 2015 vintage (but not allowed on the label), this is, more by luck than prelaid plans, a perfectly modern expression of a weird and wonderful old grape variety, pineau d’Aunis. Light in colour and silky in texture, with currant freshness and peppered strawberry fruit, this wouldn’t be out of place in trendy Australian or South African circles. A rare delight to savour over the next year or two.

Somloi Hárslevelű, Kolonics 2017

Hungary’s hárslevelű often plays second fiddle to the more recognised furmint grape in the iconic sweet wines of the Tokaji region. Given the limelight here, it produces a full, dry and flavoursome treat with intricate and intriguing aromas of spices, elderflower and roses.

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have some staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@laura - Community Manager
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We’ll post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  2. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. Take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  3. We’ll then taste the wines together, one by one and ask you to share your own tasting note. Do add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  4. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, favourite wine of the two or final thoughts.

And after that, if you want to continue chatting about the wines then please feel free!

Looking forward to tonight’s tasting and to try these wines! See you all there! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve not been to one of these events but I’ve got the wines so I suppose I can figure it out…

3 Likes

Welcome @Zukertort! :smiley: We’ll be guiding you through the event later on - we’ll all be tasting the wines together and posting our thoughts. It’s usually a lot of fun so I hope you enjoy it! :wine_glass:

2 Likes

I’ll lurk, but I didn’t get round to changing the delivery, they’ll be arriving in the Red Chariot of Dreams tomorrow!

2 Likes

Wines arrived this afternoon, & my other half will be joining in for the first time ever! :grin:

3 Likes

So excited to try these two! Shall we see who’s here?

• Me! I’m here!
  • I’m lurking, not posting

0 voters

I’m here! Although only have the white today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yay, Matthew! Great to have you here too to taste one of your wines with us - feel free to chip in with any interesting facts about it as we go along. :smiley:

Righty-ho, it’s 8pm, so let’s get cracking! We’ll start with the white wine - Somloi Hárslevelű - have a swirl and a sniff and tell us what you think of the aromas? What are you getting?

2 Likes

Very slight burnt smell

2 Likes

Mine is still a bit on the cool side so the aromas are hiding slightly… however… Citrus aromas of grapefruit, some tangerine peel, a slight burnt petrol whiff, white pepper and spice with a hint of honey which seems to lift it!

3 Likes

I like it. Good acidity which is something I look for. Some of the floral notes as in your online notes

2 Likes

We’re finding the same! Not a massively pronounced nose right now… it might get better as it warms up a bit? There’s some stone fruit and a little bit of something herby and floral…

2 Likes

I’m getting the same, I’m smelling almost a slightly burnt caramel smell - very specifically, it’s reminding me of sesame seed snaps!

1 Like

Quite a reclusive nose on this, almost secretive like it doesn’t want to give too much away. There’s something a bit floral, a bit of citrus, and a bit pepper, but other than I’m not getting much! I think it’s saving it all for the palate…

2 Likes

honey, sweet spice, roses and apricot

2 Likes

Mrs CC: getting wine gums (like opening a complete packet smell) and a very very faint hint of spearmint.

2 Likes

Quite an exciting colour, much darker than I expected. Straight from the fridge so feel like the nose has more to give. Getting something sweet… yes @Leah it’s honey!

3 Likes