01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Champagne and Sparkling Wine virtual tasting, 9th April 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Champagne and Sparkling Wine tasting.

If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’

Here’s some more advice to help things run smoothly:

Sparkling wine and Champagne Guides

Whether you are a certified wine geek or simply here for the fizz, these videos and guides give a good introduction to the various styles, grapes, and production methods associated with sparkling wines the world over:

Our Ultimate Guide to Champagne

How To Buy Sparkling Wines

Weekly Workshop #2: Sparkling Wine

A Glass Half Full With… Sarah Knowles MW (Sparkling Edition!)

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@Ewan - one of our original Community crew (and also our PR Manager)
@Freddy - our buyer for Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Eastern Europe and beers
@horsleym - our buyer for England, Greece, Hungary and Accessories
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Extending a big welcome to @Sarah Knowles MW !

We’re very excited to have our Buyer for Champagne and Prosecco joining us tonight - please feel free to ask her all things fizz :slight_smile:

A note from Sarah

"These weekly lockdown tastings are picking up steam and there’s something so inherently celebratory about fizz(!) so I hope many of you join us tonight to celebrate the arrival of the long weekend and to spend an hour avoiding the news cycle!

I once received very good advice from an MW study friend who made the statement that she always had a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge as she never knew when she’d want to celebrate! This is advice I have now lived by for years, and I am very careful to always have something sparkling next to the milk at all times. Obviously, this has led to celebrating often quite minor things, and consuming more bubbles, not a single bottle of which I regret!

A highly respected colleague of mine, Janet Wynne Evans, also often spoke of her Friday night ritual of Champagne fish and chips – a lifestyle I try hard to emulate. So whether you are opening a complex vintage Champagne, a joyful prosecco or a best-kept-secret crémant, I hope you share your favourite wines and times to enjoy them with us all, and we can all celebrate together tonight."

Here’s how things will work:

1. We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
  2. I’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  3. We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking.
  4. To begin, I’ll invite us all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post, so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  5. We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, ideally as there’s well over 50 of us taking part (!), it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  6. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do! We’ll likely be pouring another glass anyway :smiley:

So excited for tonight’s event and looking forward to hearing about everyone’s chosen fizz!

5 Likes

Is it just me or does it look like Sarah only has one bottle open in the second video?

I’ll be clapping at 8pm so will join after !

2 Likes

I was planning to join, and had put a bottle in the fridge (Gusbourne brut reserve 2014), but my partner had a temperature and has tested positive for the small big C (though is feeling ok), so I don’t think bubbles are quite the order of the day here! Look forward to following the thread later, enjoy your fizz.

6 Likes

Oh wow so sorry! Make sure you’ve got everything you need in, for those where it gets bad it doesn’t sound like it happens until several days in. And try to take care of yourself as well…

1 Like

@tfpywfpy, hope she won’t feel too rough and it’s a mild case . Keep her well looked after and yourself .

Oh goodness @tfpywfpy - please do take care and I’m wishing your partner a very speedy recovery.

Yes of course! We’ll all be clapping too so we’ll start just after 8pm! :smiley: :clap:

2 Likes

Here and raring to go! Bottle of Forty Hall Vineyard 2016 chilling in the fridge (organic, from London’s vineyard - yes, grapes from London!) - amazingly still delivering online orders.

4 Likes

Yikes! sorry to hear that, @tfpywfpy! Hope it turns out to be mild - and that you’re all keeping safe. You can save the bottle for when she’s fully recovered :clinking_glasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Hope your wife is well and happy for the next few days.

Good evening everybody!

Here’s the now infamous WIKI for this evening. As ever, please feel free to add yourself or let me know if you want me to add anything. I’ll do a little sweep of the thread before we go live to make sure I’ve got everything. Massive thanks to @NW_passenger for doing all the hard work!

Vinatge Wine User
NV– Polyez-Jacquemart Extra Brut Blanc de Blanc— -@Beechnut
NV Pauletts Trillians Sparkling Red @mshewen
NV Daniel Du Mont Rilly-La- Montagne 2014 @Leah
NV Camel Valley rose @GWills
NV San Leo Brut Prosecco, Waitrose @JayKay
NV Gimonet Blanc de Blancs Cuis @Winosot
NV Marguet Shaman 13 @Herbster
NV Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut @Bargainbob
NV Hambledon classic cuvee @Alasdair
NV Heidsieck Monopole grand cru @Awd1998
NV Jacquesson & Fils Cuvée No. 739 @Alex88
NV Camel Valley Brut @Me_and_him
NV Duval Leroy @Me_and_him
NV Jean de Foigny Brut @laura @MrLaura
NV Jules Camuset @Prrushton
NV The Society’s Champagne Brut @Tim_S
NV Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top @Gin_and_Bernie @Chris_Michelle
NV Scarpantoni Black Tempest Sparkling Shiraz @BFerrier
NV Champagne Ruelle Pertois Brut Reserve @Dacs
NV Cremant de Luxembourg Brut, Domaine Cins Moselles @AliRob
NV Krug GC Edition 168 @TJ175
NV Jacquart Brut Mosaique @Tannatastic
NV Hotel Chocholat Prosecco Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore @StuartJ78
NV Cottonworth Estate NV Brut @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis
NV Mas Macia Cava Brut @NickFoster
NV Tanners Cava Brut @Andrew_C
1989 Veuve Clicquot Trilennium Cuvee @MarkC
2002 Moet Grand Vintage Brut @Tom_R
2002 Salon @szaki1974
2005 Bollinger Grande Annee @Taffy-on-Tour
2006 Deutz @danchaq
2006 Pierre Paillard Bouzy Grand Cru @VinoVeritas
2009 Nyetimber Classic Cuvee @VinoVeritas
2009 Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs @horsleym
2013 Sugrue Pierre “The Trouble with Dreams” @cormski
2013 Nyetimber Blanc de blancs 2013 @kelly @Freddy
2014 Schramsberg Blanc de Noirs @MartinoJAB
2014 Ridgeview Blanc de Noirs @Winerack144
2016 Forty Hall Vineyard @nuttingcdef
2016 Antech Limoux Reserve Brut @NickyW
2017 Bodegas Ochoa Moscatel sparkling @strawpig
2018 Champagne Boizel Brut Reserve @CroquetChris
2018 Champagne Boizel Brut Reserve @CroquetChris
NV Cremant de Bourgogne Xavier Monnot @Prdodds
NV Di Maria, Prosecco @Ifor
NV LV by Louis Vavasour Marlborough Methode Traditionelle @Steve_G
NV Cremant de Bourgogne Brut, Marks and Spencer @Sarrees
NV Gobillard Blanc de B;ancs @Julie_Jon
NV Taittinger @KJH1
NV Gosset Grand Reserve @Miller6
NV Davenport Pet Nat @scrop
NV Taste The Difference Prosecco Conegliano @PeterWilliamsTester
NV La Gioiosa Prosecco Treviso @Wiseyp
NV Berry Bros Cremant de Limoux @HBlackburn
NV– Laurent Perrier Brut— -@JWorlidge

2010 High Clandon Celebration Cuvée @HeatherD
2012 | Greyfriars Blanc de Blancs | @Rownhams

7 Likes

OK, here’s what we’ll be opening.

It’s a bottle of Cottonworth Estate NV Brut - from the upper Test Valley near Andover (N. Hants.)

2 Likes

Really sorry to hear that @tfpywfpy. Hope everything is OK and you both stay safe.

A quick competition; name the bridge

3 Likes

Being Enfield based ourselves, I’m really looking forward to reading your thoughts on this wine. Do you know what grapes they’re using?

Chilling away nicely, now just to see how long I can resist!

4 Likes

Can’t quite let go of last week’s tasting. Cremant de Bourgogne by the wonderful Xavier Monnot.

5 Likes

@Sarah

I wonder why we cannot have access to half bottles of top Champagne cuvees.
I became aware this afternoon that Krug do halves in Special Edition format.
£135 is way past what most of us can afford, for a one-off, £70 might be for a really special occasion.
Maybe, other top cuvees are also available in this smaller format, we could have a one bottle limit per member to keep the trade and hoarders at bay.
So c’mon Sarah, please try?!? :grinning: :wink: :+1:

Late arrival - wasn’t sure what we had on the premises as opposed to in storage, we have two of her ladyship’s Prosecco, an Oudinot 2012 and this which was lurking at back of t’cellar, two left of a case . Seems a good enough time to open it. Been good excuse this to open some mature stuff in the cellar.

10 Likes

@MarkC

I bought a case of the VC Fizz.
I drank it through the late 1990’ to the early 2000’s.
It never did anything for me.
Thanks for reminding me of “another” buying mistake!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :+1:

1 Like