Good afternoon/evening everyone!
Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Champagne and Sparkling Wine tasting.
If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!
If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide ‘How To’ - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events’
Here’s some more advice to help things run smoothly:
Sparkling wine and Champagne Guides
Whether you are a certified wine geek or simply here for the fizz, these videos and guides give a good introduction to the various styles, grapes, and production methods associated with sparkling wines the world over:
Weekly Workshop #2: Sparkling Wine
A Glass Half Full With… Sarah Knowles MW (Sparkling Edition!)
Who’s on hand to help tonight
We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)
@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@Ewan - one of our original Community crew (and also our PR Manager)
@Freddy - our buyer for Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Eastern Europe and beers
@horsleym - our buyer for England, Greece, Hungary and Accessories
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services
Extending a big welcome to @Sarah Knowles MW !
We’re very excited to have our Buyer for Champagne and Prosecco joining us tonight - please feel free to ask her all things fizz
A note from Sarah
"These weekly lockdown tastings are picking up steam and there’s something so inherently celebratory about fizz(!) so I hope many of you join us tonight to celebrate the arrival of the long weekend and to spend an hour avoiding the news cycle!
I once received very good advice from an MW study friend who made the statement that she always had a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge as she never knew when she’d want to celebrate! This is advice I have now lived by for years, and I am very careful to always have something sparkling next to the milk at all times. Obviously, this has led to celebrating often quite minor things, and consuming more bubbles, not a single bottle of which I regret!
A highly respected colleague of mine, Janet Wynne Evans, also often spoke of her Friday night ritual of Champagne fish and chips – a lifestyle I try hard to emulate. So whether you are opening a complex vintage Champagne, a joyful prosecco or a best-kept-secret crémant, I hope you share your favourite wines and times to enjoy them with us all, and we can all celebrate together tonight."
Here’s how things will work:
- We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
- I’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
- We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking.
- To begin, I’ll invite us all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post, so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
- We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, ideally as there’s well over 50 of us taking part (!), it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
- After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.
And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do! We’ll likely be pouring another glass anyway
So excited for tonight’s event and looking forward to hearing about everyone’s chosen fizz!