01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Bring A Bottle: South Africa, Thursday 13th August, 8-9pm

Meerlust Rubicon 2013 earns 8/10 tonight, I don’t think my remaining four bottles will survive to test the 2033 drink window.

6 Likes

Zalze Shiraz Mourvedre Viognier 2018: giving it 8/10

2 Likes

Wow, some really high scores tonight!

1 Like

Ditto. But well worth looking at Tahbilk’s own drinking date recommendations…

http://www.tahbilk.com.au/our-story/vintage-chart.html

They reckon the Marsanne from 2000-2003 is “ready”. You need to be patient with that last bottle!! :rofl:

1 Like

The Liberator Sangiovese.

8/10. Great concentration still, and the structure is holding it all up nicely. It’s lacking a bit of complexity and the finish is a tad on the short side, but other than that I can’t fault it.

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt tonight, it’s that I will now be going for the 2017 Warwick EP so thank you @Alchemist!!

6 Likes

Vergelegen Reserve Cabernet 2015

Ooh, I don’t know. I feel like it’s got more to give this evening, with a bit more air, and it needs an extra mark for value … 8/10?

6 Likes

I think I’m giving The Liberator Sangiovese a rare 9/10 - I’m so impressed with its lovely mature character for the price, and I’ll be asking @MrLaura to add some more to the next order.

As @Kelly said, these are some rare high scores tonight! I haven’t seen such a good run in months. :astonished:

While I’ve got a second, can I put in a shameless plug for our Tapas Night on 27th August? I think it’ll be good fun - I’d love to see you all there:

2 Likes

Less than £15 all in for that is bonkers! I sense there may be another South African EP purchase on the horizon…

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the Tapas Night! :joy: :hugs:

2 Likes

Hahaha! I’ll be 40 before it’s ready to drink, judging by that! :see_no_evil: The problem is it’s just too darn tasty right now!

2 Likes

I forgot all about the Tahbilk Marsanne! I’ve got three of the 2016 in a reserves mix-your-own case, which isn’t coming out until 2025.

I thought it was lovely young, and really want to know what it’s like with a proper bit of age…

2 Likes

What a lovely evening - a quieter one, but all the nicer for being able to chat properly with you all! And some top-notch wines on show by the sounds of it.

Thank you all SO much for coming along and sharing your wines with us - you’ve been great. :smiley: Especially fab to see so many newer faces - welcome!

Thanks too to our staff participants, @Kelly and @MrLaura for joining us. :clap:

I hope you can all go and enjoy another glass now - hopefully see you on the 27th for tapas!

5 Likes

Thanks again for hosting an interesting tasting

2 Likes

A great session. Many thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @laura and thanks everyone for joining and sharing your tasting notes with us!

2 Likes

Thanks all, cheers and a pleasant evening to all :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Cheers - enjoyed an interesting ‘tasting’!

2 Likes

It was a happy accident! There was a pricing mishap with the 2015 offer, and one of the premium bottles - the GVB I think? - looked like a crazy bargain so I went for it. When the price was corrected, I realised it wasn’t that kind of month for me, money-wise, so I switched to the Reserve Cabernet.

No regrets! :wine_glass:

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes

Sorry something cropped up and we were not able to join in though we had tried them both earlier.
Ataraxia Pinot Noir 2016 from the wines of Kevin Grant
Klein Constantia Riesling 2015, which I now see was in the quirky South African TWS Taste in February 2019.
The Riesling has a strong note of petrol and went well with barbecued chicken.
The Pinot was outstanding. - it should be at £28 a bottle. Nice aroma and quite pale

5 Likes