01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Born In The USA, Thursday 11th June, 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Born In The USA tasting.

If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - we’ve been hosting a virtual tasting each week since lockdown began!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

USA Wine Guide

If you’re new to USA wines and would like to swot up before the tasting, have a read of our Ultimate Guide to USA Wine:

**We’re thrilled to announce that our USA Buyer @Sarah will be joining us for the tasting tonight! **

A NOTE FROM OUR USA BUYER SARAH KNOWLES MW:

“I have always loved all things American. From early childhood family road trips to American sit coms, and in my first foray into wine at university the blue nun of my generation - Blossom Hill Rose! The American dream was clear to me - bigger, funnier, louder, sweeter - I loved it. In my 20’s as I began to learn about wine, I discovered that the story of American wine is entwined in the perceived American stereotype. Napa Cabernets had arrived onto the Fine Wine World scene with a bang; disruptive, delicious and dangerous to a French-dominated Fine Wine market. I admire this American entrepreneurial anarchy and I have to stand back and take my hat off to a wine trade that has made trends, changed styles, and switched focus, with agility and success. More recently, we are watching the swing from the bigger, bolder, sweeter styles to the tighter, leaner and more subtle, but underneath it all is a truly talented wine community, with some unbeatable vineyards, old vines, buckets of skill and, importantly, a finger on the pulse of what consumers actually want to drink. My annual trip to the West coast has become a pilgrimage of sorts, and I can’t wait to be back on the Pacific highway 1, in an enormous hire car covering hundreds of miles, trying stunning and surprising wines.”

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
  2. We’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  3. We’re all drinking different bottles, so it might be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
  4. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. Feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  5. We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  6. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!

Very excited for tonight’s event - we hope to ‘see’ you there! :smiley:

4 Likes
Vintage Wine Region User
NV Roederer Estate Quartet Anderson Valley, CA @laura @MrLaura
1974 Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, CA @szaki1974
1995 Ridge Monte Bello Sonoma County, CA @James_Miller
1999 Au Bon Climat ‘Knox Alexander’ Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley, CA @NW_passenger
2003 Manzanita Canyon Zinfandel Napa Valley, CA @sm42
2004 Dominus Napa Valley, CA @Cheers
2010 Ste. Michelle Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, WA @mjamezz13
2013 Tablas Creek Esprit Blanc de Tablas Paso Robles, CA @chris250
2013 Ridge East Bench Zinfandel Sonoma County, CA @hugofount
2014 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir Santa Barbara, CA @Darryl
2014 Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Country, CA @Aspedini
2015 Brazin Old Vine Zinfandel Lodi, CA @tfpywfpy
2015 Ste. Michelle Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, WA @Lloydy
2016 Au Bon Climat Los Alamos Chardonnay Santa Barbara, CA @wineintowater
2016 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Blanc Dundee, Oregon @VinoVeritas
2016 Stags Leap wine cellars “Karia” Chardonnay Stags Leap AVA, @Leah
Trecini Pinot Noir Russian River, CA @HBlackburn
2017 Odd Lot Monterrey County, CA @Steve_G
2017 Frei Brothers Reserve Chardonnay Sonoma County, CA @Croquetchris
2017 Kendall-Jackson Vintners Reserve Chardonnay Sonoma County, CA @Croquetchris
2018 McManis Family Petite Sirah Lodi, CA @Awd1998
2018 Gallo White Zinfandel CA @ElizabethPitcher
The Society’s Exhibition Sonoma Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast, CA @HBlackburn

Looks like quite a chilled one this evening :smiley:

2 Likes

Getting ready here.

21 Likes

Bring on the bubbles! :smiley: :champagne:

8 Likes

Ok, I’m in.

9 Likes

Birth year?

Well guessed.

3 Likes

2017 ‘Odd Lot’ Monterey County, Odd Lot Wines, California

No idea what to expect from this one!! :confused: :wine_glass:

8 Likes

Darkness!

2 Likes

Looks pretty special, hope you enjoy

1 Like

2017 Frei Brothers Sonoma Reserve Chardonnay
2017 Kendall Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay

6 Likes

It’s the 2015 for us, 8 see the 2010 on the wiki already, should be fun.

8 Likes

We used a local delivery service for this White Zinfandel 2018 CA. Although we usually steer clear of this one, it seemed to be an inviting bottle to open on a chilly, wet evening; a warm reminder of the wonderful Californian sunshine!

5 Likes

you’re gonna need more candles than that :smiley:

5 Likes

yeah doesn’t look to busy,
All ready to go just warming up the wine

4 Likes

Looking forward to tonight - @MrLaura is just opening our Quartet bubbly…

Let’s see who’s here?

• I’m here!
  • I’m lurking, not posting
  • I haven’t got any American wine but I’m here for the chat

0 voters

One wasn’t enough?

2 Likes

Ready to enjoy this - I’ve had it before quite a few times so hopefully it will be just as nice this evening!

5 Likes