01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Backing Our Best Growers, Thursday 24th September, 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE Backing Our Best Growers virtual tasting.

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

As part of our Backing Our Best Growers offer, we thought this would be a good opportunity to try two specific wines from some of our growers who are featured!

The wines we’ll be trying tonight are:

Pedroncelli Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2017

“The Pedroncellis have been making wine since 1927 from their vineyards in Sonoma County. The philosophy here is traditional with low intervention in the winery. At the time of writing, harvest 2020 is putting pressure on winery space so to move stock the family have supported this excellent saving on their wines for members.” Sarah Knowles MW

Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

“Weinert wines are noticeable for being aged from two to five years, and sometimes longer, in old foudres in a deep, cool, granite cellar. Over time the brash fruit softens, mellows and develops the tertiary aromas of leather, tobacco and cedar. The Society gets a good price, with no room for a further discount, shipping directly and they bottle specially with Diam corks for us.” Toby Morrhall

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have some staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@laura - Community Manager
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We’ll post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  2. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. Feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  3. We’ll then taste the wines together, one by one and ask you to share your own tasting note. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  4. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, favourite wine of the two or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about the wines then please do!

Can’t wait for tonight’s tasting and to try these wines! See you all there! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Woohoo! Can’t wait for this evening! We’re having stuffed mushrooms for tea, what’s everyone else having?

First attempt at a farinta tonight, will post a snap once cooked. Not got the wines but did buy one of the mixed cases and put in reserves so very interested in everyone’s notes.

3 Likes

For once I thought I had the right wine on hand, and I nearly do! It’s a Pedroncelli Cab but from 2011. That seems to be one of the hazards of reducing my car use and taking the tardis instead. If I can get my timing right I’ll try to join you anyway; maybe see if there’s much difference over the years.

Just doing a little preliminary research now but obviously it wouldn’t be appropriate to divulge any results yet! Oh, and some sort of Quorn burgers, with a bit of cheddar afterwards.

3 Likes

Is that farinata? Sounds interesting and I’ll have to give that a try sometime.

We’re having home made veg and bacon quiche. Not sure how it will go with the wine, I’ve only got the Pedroncelli .

1 Like

Singapore noodles!

2 Likes

Ready! So excited to try these, especially the Weinert.

4 Likes

Ready and waiting impatiently !

7 Likes

Yes! Would love to hear how it compares to the younger vintage!

Sounds lush! Ours didn’t really go with the wine (not bad with the Weinert!) but was still lovely.

Yum!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

all ready for the tasting

3 Likes

I wish I had a decanter right about now…

Shall we do a quick poll to see who’s here?

• I’m here, and ready to taste!
  • I’m lurking…

0 voters

It’s a beef and carrot stew tonight, rescued from the icy wastes of the freezer.

Hopefully it will be complemented by the Cabernet - looking forward to the tasting!

5 Likes

We’re having roast beef with peperonata and cheesy polenta. Looking forward to the wines!

4 Likes

Ok, thank you all for joining us this Thursday - let’s begin!

This #TWSTaste is in support of our Backing Our Best Growers campaign, and we’re tasting and comparing two cabernet sauvignons featured in the offer…

Shall we start by tasting the Pedroncelli? If you’re all ready to, please pour a glass, give it a swirl and a sniff and let us know your first thoughts on aromas and colour :smiley:

1 Like

Both decanted and ready to go

4 Likes

Ooh - that is fruity - dark fruity

2 Likes

Mrs CC: strong blackcurrant fruit, petrol and a hint of leather for me

3 Likes