01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Australian Opulence, Thursday 21st May, just after 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Australian Opulence tasting.

If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

We also always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers if you’d like to participate.

Australian Wine Guide

If you’re new to Australian wines and want to learn a little more before the tasting, have a read of our Ultimate Guide to Australian Wine:

We are also so pleased to announce that our Australia Buyer @Freddy Bulmer will be joining us for this event!

A NOTE FROM FREDDY:

"Australia is one of the most fascinating and yet under-appreciated wine producing countries in the world. All wine regions/countries which have been successful do so because they are able to sum-up what they do in a couple of sentences. A decade or two ago, Australia went too far and tried to do that by summing everything up as simply as “loads of everything apart from the price. Oh and with a kangaroo on the bottle.” This extremely bitesize message rocketed Aus to success in the UK at the bottom-end however it was not sustainable. The issue now is that Australian wine is far from simple and is in fact extremely varied and versatile, with one of the best fine wine offerings in the world. However the public are still stuck with an idea of Australia from years gone by which is now so far from the truth it’s hard to believe!

Whether you wanted fresh, focus and finesse or bloody big blockbuster wines, Australia has it all. From Albarino to Zweigelt, stopping off at cabernet, chardonnay, all the pinots, shiraz and sauvignon, Australia really can do it all."

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@Ewan - one of our original Community crew and our PR Manager
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
  2. I’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  3. We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
  4. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post , so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  5. We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, as there are so many of us taking part, it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  6. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!

Looking forward to tonight’s event! See you all there! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ooooh, the opulence!

Vinatge Wine Region User
1998 Eileen Hardy Shiraz McLaren Vale @Steve_G
2005 Penfolds RWT Shiraz Barossa Valley @Cormski
2006 Pirramimma Petit Verdot McLaren Vale @sm42
2008 Sevenhill Cellars Vintage Touriga Clare Valley @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis
Henschke Abbotts Prayer Cabernet Merlot Adelaide Hills @chris250
2009 Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon Hunter Valley @NickFoster @Leah
2010 Penfolds Bin 169 Coonawarra Cabernet Coonawarra @Aspedini
2013 Yalumba FDR1A Cabernet Shiraz Eden Valley @laura @MrLaura
Yalumba The Cigar Cabernet Sauvignon Eden Valley @Lovefoodwithwine
Eddystone Pinot Noir Tasmania @Lewis
Crittenden Cri du Coeur Savagnin sous voile Mornington Peninsula @NW_passenger
Mount Langi Ghiran Hollows Riesling Grampians @BrianUtd
Paringa Estate Shiraz Mornington Peninsula @Ewan
2014 Penfolds Bin 150 Marananga Shiraz Barossa Valley @danchaq
Heartland Sposa e Sposa Langhorne Creek @szaki1974
2015 The Other Wine Co. Shiraz Adelaide Hills @Embee
Campbells Rutherglen Durif Rutherglen @Alasdair
2017 Dandelion Vineyards Lion’s Tooth of McLaren Vale Shiraz Rielsing McLaren Vale @Brocklehurstj
Tahbilk Nagambie Lakes Viognier Victoria @John_Doe
Chateau Tanunda Barossa Valley @Lloydy
Wirra Wirra Vintage Bell Cabernet Sauvignon McLaren Vale @Freddy @Kelly
2018 Ian Botham The All-Rounder Cabernet Sauvignon S.E. Australia @Croquetchris
Ebenezer & Sepeltsfield Shiraz Barossa Valley @EdMcK
Foundstone Merlot South Australia @Herbster
2019 Vasse Felix Filius Chardonnay Margaret River @Croquetchris
19Crimes Chardonnay S.E. Australia @ElizabethPitcher
Andrew Peace Chardonnay Victoria @Miller6
Yalumba Organic Viognier South Australia @Brod
Mac Forbes Spring Riesling Yarra Valley @Kelly @Freddy
NV Peter Lehmann Black Queen Sparkling Shiraz Barossa Valley @mjamezz13

Really good range of stuff on show tonight! :smiley:

8 Likes

White tonight due to the nice weather.
2013 Mount Langi Ghiran Hollows Vineyard Reisling

8 Likes

That’s a nice view!

1 Like

Tonight, we are drinking
Campbell’s Rutherglen Durif 2015

Selected from a local merchant, as I’d never heard of Durif.
To save you googling:

Durif is a cross between Peloursin and Syrah. It is also called petite sirah, which is not the same as petite syrah!
It’s almost disappeared from France, where it originated. Main areas are California, Israel, and Australia, where it is particularly grown in Rutherglen.
Petite Sirah produces dark, inky coloured wines that are relatively acidic, with firm texture and mouth feel; the bouquet has herbal and black pepper overtones, and typically offers flavours of blue fruit, black fruit, plums, and especially blueberries. Compared to Syrah, the wine is noticeably more dark and purplish in color, and typically rounder and fuller in the mouth, and offers a brightness that Syrah lacks. The wines are very tannic, with aging ability that can exceed 20 years in the bottle. Petite Sirah can sometimes be rather “short”, that is, the flavour does not linger in the mouth, hence the benefit of blending with another grape which may lack mid-palate depth, but add length and elegance.
According to the Oxford Companion to Wine, it’s been long grown in Rutherglen, “making a prodigiously inky, alcoholic wine of surprising quality”

8 Likes

Well no Aussie wine the cellar at all so I popped out( on my daily exercise of course) to nearby Co-op and bought this ( and a cake!)which I’d never heard of. It’s from Victoria. Nice label.

4 Likes

Not a lot of warm weather suitable Aussie wine, but this 2009 Hunter Semillon should do nicely…

15 Likes

Yum, I’ve got a couple of Semillons here, but only 5 and 2 years old respectively so not opening tonight.

I popped out to my local last week, but picked up an Ozzie oddity rather than an Aussie opulence. Never heard of Riesling being slung into the Syrah mix, so thought I’d investigate further.

12 Likes

I want to keep my last Kooyong for a couple more years, soooo…

Ta-da! One of these came in this week’s mixed case :+1:

8 Likes

We had been planning to open a 2001 Sandalyn Estate Shiraz, almost certainly past it, but the sunny weather in the garden does not seem to be calling out to our shiraz vibes.

Therefore, the only Aus white (possibly not under the opulent tag) that we have in the house is our much loved house white, Tahbilk Nagambie Lakes Viognier 2017.

Looking forward to reuniting with an old friend. Our head has been turned by many new upstarts recently :star_struck: :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

I am going to be opening this 2008 Cabernet/Merlot from Henschke. Should be interesting.

15 Likes

This is open for business, assuming I can escape the clutches of La Llorona when it’s her bedtime…

…it already smells irresistible.

14 Likes

Don’t worry John, that is the type of wine that won’t mind you running off with other upstarts but it will make you wonder why you bothered whenever you come back.

3 Likes

@NickFoster, I have the exact same wine :wink:

2 Likes

Ooo they have this in our local indie shop. Look forward to hearing about this.

2 Likes

We will be opening a South Eastern Australia 19 Crimes (2019) which I suspect will be a fairly oaked Chardonnay and hopefully not too heavy for a super, sunny evening!

7 Likes

I’ll be watching! HV semillon is a world-class wine.

2 Likes

So, not being much of a new world drinker, here is tonight’s tipple. Hopefully a safe bet with the pot roast beef! Decanted a couple of hours ago, warming up nicely, like the weather :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Sounds fascinating. I’ve just read a review for it in Halliday’s 2020 Australian Wine Companion. I won’t give the game away but I’m a bit envious !

1 Like

The WIKI is done! Feel free to add yourselves :smiley:

4 Likes