01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Australian Opulence, Thursday 21st May, just after 8-9pm

London hasn’t been cool for years … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Been to Hunter, McLaren Vale, Yarra, Canberra. McLaren Vale for pure enjoyment, setting ( who wouldn’t want to cycle the Shiraz trail!) and diversity of wines. Canberra is really interesting- stinking hot summers but seriously cold winters. Marked down for pretentiousness of some of the wineries (yes I’m talking about you Clonakilla) but some other wineries making decent wines.

7 Likes

Visited several a few years ago. At one, when I showed them that I could buy their wine cheaper from the Wine Society than at the cellar door, they gave me the bottle for nothing!

9 Likes

Yes, never had that before!

1 Like

Oh, sounds delicious - especially all the sweet spice! Sounds like a lot of bang for your buck. Haven’t tried this and I think I’ll get a bottle on our next order. :smiley:

Speaking of which, shall we all give our wines a mark out of 10, everyone?

1 Like

Penfolds RWT Barossa Valley Shiraz 2005

This is a lovely bouncy shiraz, dark and brooding in the glass with lots of succulent plums, blueberries, toasted coconut, a thick seam of spice and a faint trace of something medicinal. Like a manly woody aftershave, I want to splash it all over my face. Brute (sic) RWT.

Necking it instead, it’s creamy delicious, lip smackingly good, with all the good aromatics amped up - the leisurely enjoyment of which is soured only by my daughter continuing to thump about upstairs when she should be in bed fast asleep!!! Reminding me of a bedtime story by Adam Mansbach, read out by Samuel L Jackson.

This is a perfect anaesthetic though. Lalalalalalalalalala…

13 Likes

Necking Penfolds. That’s the dream!

6 Likes

2008 Henschke Abbots Prayer Cabernet/Merlot

9/10

6 Likes

Interesting to hear your views of Canberra. I found it to be a really bizarre place! It was like a ghost town when I was there and perhaps we were unlucky on the trip but the Clonakilla wines stood out head and shoulders above anything else we tried from the region. It was a very surreal couple of days but it’s where I discovered “feed me” dining and had some of the best Asian fusion food I have ever tasted!!

1 Like

Vasse Felix Filius: 7 out 10
Ian Botham: 1 out 10 (we’ll see what it’s like on Saturday - we’ve got 2012 Bollinger tomorrow)

4 Likes

The Other Wine Co Shiraz 2015

With spare ribs ( spice rubbed but no glaze ). A brilliant combo, the spicy pork only seems to enhance the wines flavour. I’ve struck lucky tonight !

5 Likes

You need to get out more! Bet this is killing you now being almost trapped?

2 Likes

Mac Forbes Spring Riesling 2019 - 8/10 with food, 6/10 without

Wirra Wirra Vintage Bell Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 - 6/10 without food, potentially a lot higher with!

4 Likes

That’s amazing! hahaha I wonder who that was!

1 Like

Yep, I think that wins tasting note of the night! :laughing: Superb! And I know precisely the bedtime story you mean… :wink:

4 Likes

Paringa Estate Shiraz 2013 - cool, refined, oak still to the fore - like a serious Saint-Joesph. Espresso coffee, cherries. chilli spice and cigar box. Delicious and opening up beautifully 30 mins after having been poured. 8.5/10

4 Likes

Sounds like a fantastic combo!

1 Like

1 Like

this Peter Lehman Black Queen Barossa Shiraz…

Oh, Oh…I’m in trouble…the house verdict would be 2, at most, I reckon…

But I like to think I can get enjoyment from any wine (more or less) - ask Chris250…

I am SO intrigued by this wine, which has challenged me - in a nice way…I’ll say…6.5 for taste and 8 for bewilderment and intrigue…

if this event hadn’t come up, I wouldn’t have tried this wine…so: MANY THANKS

8 Likes

I’d be intrigued to try it.