01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste Aromatic Whites, Thursday 14th May, just after 8-9pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone!

Welcome to tonight’s LIVE virtual Aromatic Whites tasting.

If you’re planning to participate tonight then thank you - these last few tastings have been our biggest Community tastings ever!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

We also always start the event properly a few minutes after 8pm so we can all join in with #clapforourcarers if you’d like to participate.

Who’s on hand to help tonight

We have lots of staff attending tonight, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@Kelly - Community Co-ordinator
@Ewan and @martin_brown - two of our original Community crew and members of our Brand and Content Team
@hugofount - from our Brand and Content Marketing Team
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Here’s how things will work:

1. We will post a WIKI (editable list) of who’s tasting what tonight. Have a look and, if you’re not on there, please do add yourself! You can do that by clicking the ‘Edit’ button in the bottom right of the post.
  2. We’ll also post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  3. We’re all drinking different bottles, so it’s going to be hard to keep track. Whenever you post tonight, please start your post with the name of the wine you’re drinking!
  4. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. As there’s so many of us, it would probably be easier if you limit this to one post, so feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  5. We’ll then taste the wines together and ask you to share your own tasting note. Again, as there are so many of us taking part, it’ll be easier if you take your time and write your tasting note up in one post to help us keep track. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  6. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about their wines then please do!

Looking forward to tonight’s event! See you all there! :smiley:

I will be joining with this:

The other contender was a 2016 Wirsching Scheurebe, but my mood and the weather demands the Spatlese…

13 Likes

After much deliberation, I’m going Alsace. I had a bit of a moment with this in the tasting room back in The Before Time (that is to say, January, I think…) so looking forward to revisiting it.

Speak to you all soon!

13 Likes

(In his best Martin Tyler voice) AAAND IT’S LIVE!

Vintage Wine Region User
2001 Vitatge Vielh de Lapeyre Jurancon Sec Jurancon @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis
2002 Querbach Riesling Rheingau @Brocklehurstj
2010 Domaine Schlumberger Pinot Gris GC Kessler Alsace @laura @MrLaura
Dopff au Moulin Gewurztraminer GC Brand Alsace @martin_brown
2012 Domaine Rolly Gassmann Gewurztraminer GC Altenberg de Bergheim Alsace @robertd
Domaine Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Heimbourg Alsace @Embee
Domaine Barou Viognier Collines Rhodaniennes Rhone @chris250
Gewurztraminer Reserve GC Eichberg Leon Beyer Alsace @VinoVeritas
2015 The Society’s Saar Riesling Mosel @Aspedini
The Society’s Exhibition Alsace Gewurztraminer Alsace @EdMcK
2016 Donhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese Nahe @szaki1974
2017 Frei Brother Sonoma Coast Chardonnay California @Alasdair
2018 Koyle Costa Cuarzo Sauvignon Blanc Chile @rammblings101
Jim Barry The Lodge Riesling Clare Valley @Ashdene
Cave de Turckehim Gewurztraminer Alsace @John_Doe @Croquetchris
Joseph Cattin Edelzwicker Special Cuvee Alsace @Croquetchris
Domaine de Riaux Pouilly Fume Loire @mjamezz13
The Society’s Muscadet Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie Loire @BrianUtd
Viognier Gres du Trias Coteaux de l’Ardeche, Vignerons Ardechois Rhone @tfpywfpy
Von Kesselstatt Kaseler Dry Riesling Mosel @Miller6
Gewurztraminer Classici Colterenzio Alto Adige @NickFoster
Mitravalas ‘White on Grey’ Moschofilero Greece @Kelly
2019 Tesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet Languedoc @Herbster
2015 Joseph Cattin Gewurztraminer Grand Cru Hatschbourg Alsace @Steve_G
2019 Percheron Chenin Blanc Viognier South Africa David_Reid
2019 Ponte de Lima Loureiro, Vinho Verde Portugal @Ewan

Sorry it’s a little bit late today, had a little bit of trouble with dinner!

8 Likes

Going to go for Alsace Gewürztraminer as well.

Thinking of the Society’s Exhibition range 2015 by Famille Hugel.

Going to pair this with Kiln smoked Salmon rissoto. :yum:

8 Likes

Looking forward to tasting this wine, later today.

11 Likes

Joining tonight with TWS Muscadet Sevre Et Maine Sur Lie 2018. Not my usual tipple so looking forward to this one :+1:

10 Likes

After my day today the 12.5% abv riesling I had earmarked is not going to be enough, this is 14% and therefore much more appropriate:

Already opened, inhaling deeply counting down to children’s bedtime!

15 Likes

Will be opening
Frei Brothers Sonoma Reserve Chardonnay 2017
Purchased from Waitrose

3 Likes

Evening all.

I’ve got these two beauties to choose from:

Got a couple of mixed cases from Majestic (sorry TWS!) a couple of decades ago and they’re still going strong.

Which one though?

11 Likes

Going to try two from TWS
Alsace Joseph Cattin Edelzwicker Special Cuvee 2018 (25%Muscat, 55 Riesling, 5 Pinot Gris, 15% Gewurztraminer )
Alsace Cave de Turckheim Gewurztraminer 2018

7 Likes

Here’s my tipple tonight

Picked up as a one-off, but fairly sure I’ll enjoy it

6 Likes

Oooohh… I love this wine - one open in the fridge from yesterday. Enjoy!

Tonight, I think I’ll go for a Gewurz, simply because it’s been a while. Looking forward to this:

8 Likes

I bought a mixed case of dry rieslings 2018 earlier this year.Best so far was Schloss Lieser at £11.50 This is Kaseler Dry,Von Kesselstatt £15

which the WS says “was a brilliant success “ We’ll see Ha Ha

9 Likes

This:

I’m guessing this will be a bit different to last week’s Boxler Sommerberg Riesling…

But why is it sideways…? A portent, perhaps.

9 Likes

We’ve gone for this one! Never tried it before (although for me, that’s usually the same with most wines!) and looking forward to tasting!

10 Likes

On the Gewurtz, but from the Alto Adige this time.

9 Likes

A very decent old vines Torrontes over here :grinning:

11 Likes