01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

LIVE FROM 8PM: #TWSTaste 'Aged to Perfection' Fine Wines, Thurs 30th July

Hello everyone!

Welcome to another brilliant #TWSTaste!

If you’re new to The Community and need help with how to use the forum for the tasting and what the tasting involves, have a read of our guide 'How To - Take part in our virtual #TWSTaste events

This week, we’re trying two ‘aged to perfection’ wines from our latest Fine Wine List:

Urbina Reserva Especial, Rioja 2006

Cour-Cheverny Cuvée Renaissance, Le Petit Chambord 2015

Here’s how things will work:

1. We’ll post a poll to see who’s here - please let us know, and feel free to say hi and start chatting before we start.
  2. To begin, we’ll invite you all to pour a glass, have a swirl and take in the aromas, and post your thoughts and first impressions. Feel free to take your time and have a good swirl and sniff.
  3. We’ll then taste the wines together, one by one and ask you to share your own tasting note. Feel free to add any additional food matches and/or your thoughts on how well the wine is drinking now, and how much longer it might age. Anything goes, and there are no wrong answers!
  4. After this, we’ll possibly have time to ask for your mark out of 10, favourite wine of the two or final thoughts.

And after that, if people want to continue chatting about the wines then please do!

Who’s on hand to help tonight

The lovely @Kelly is on hols tonight, but there’s still some Society staff attending, so please feel free to use the below usernames and tag any of us if you need a hand (and if you’re new to The Community, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have!)

@laura - Community Manager
@MrLaura - from Member Services

Can’t wait for tonight’s tasting and to try these wines! See you all here at 8pm! :smiley:

I’m really looking forward to hearing more about what food you’re all serving with these wines tonight!

We’ve got lamb shoulder with the Rioja and some cheese and apple pie to try (not together! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) with the Loire. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Why not together? Cheese with apple pie is a classic Yorkshire combo :wink:

3 Likes

Interesting. We have cheese and pate to start with the Cour-Cheverny. Then moving to simple steak with the Rioja.

1 Like

That sounds lovely! :heart_eyes:

@MrLaura has suggested we should start with the Rioja first because the Loire is so sweet - hope that’s okay with everyone! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve got Neck of Lamb marinaded for 36 hours in Olive Oil with Rosemary, Thyme and Garlic. Just taken some Manchego (to continue the Spanish theme) and fresh French Goats Cheese out of the fridge so should be nicely room temperature in a couple of hours. Hoping for a good cheese contrast.

Fully approve of MrLaura’s tasting order.

2 Likes

After the humidity that has suddenly descended, I have changed tack a little with our repast…

We shall be having Neufchatel cheese and fresh cherries with the Cour-Cheverny.

And to start, a roast chicken salad will accompany our substitute bottle… which after my partner announcing another stressful day at work, I decided should be an uplifting bottle of Tondonia 2004 :blush:

4 Likes

Oooh, nice!

2 Likes

Bit late, but a quick bit of decanting for 20 minutes.

2 Likes

That should be plenty! :slight_smile:

Okay let’s do a quick poll in the minutes leading up to 8pm to see who’s joining us!

• I’m here!
  • I’m lurking, not posting
  • I don’t have the wines, but I’m here anyway!

0 voters

I’m going to confess we’re starting with the white

I’m only drinking the white … It’s just me and I’d struggle to finish two bottles by myself - interested to hear what other folk think of it though since I’ve bought a bottle to enjoy when I have company

4 Likes

I’m only drinking the red! Not quite the same reasons though, I’m happy to take several days over a bottle and always do. I’m just not a white lover! :rofl:

2 Likes

Okay everyone, let’s get going! :smiley:

We’re starting with the red (but if you want to start with the white, go for it - just let us know which wine you’re drinking in your posts!)

Have a swirl and a sniff - what do you think?

2 Likes

We’re on red first too

1 Like

We are starting with the white. Slight petrol/oil aroma. Nice and smooth and slight sweetness

2 Likes

We’re ready, and what a beautiful evening it is.

1 Like

I’m going to confess we’ve started with the Rioja :smiley:

(And quite lovely it is too, after a rather awkward, funky start).

2 Likes

Now will switch to the red

1 Like