01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Lighter mid-priced reds

I’d have to second that. Excellent PN at a very fair price.

Good call on the South Africans - tasted both of them at the recent tasting. The Dirt Track is very ‘smashable’, as Duncan Savage aptly put it. The Geronimo is cool, spicy and classy.

Mrs A has selected the following:

Rosso di Montalcino, Canalicchio di Sopra 2016

£19.50

Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2018

£10.95

Etna Rosso Fondo Filara Nicosia 2016

£12.50

Chinon ‘Le Temps des Cerises’, Domaine de la Noblaie 2018

£10.95

Moric Hausmarke Red 2017

£14.95

Spätburgunder Markgräflerland, Martin Wassmer 2016

£14.50

Thanks again guys, will try to remember to report back (if I get to try them!)

Can we recommend less than £10 as well? :wink:

This is just a lovely easy drinking lighter sort of red.

Or for a general set of lighter but good reds, some of which will fall into your price range, some of the Cru Beaujolais might fit the bill.

May I add an off the wall suggestion, this Nebbiolo from Ciabot berton. It light and floral, with just a touch of the Nebbiolo taste. I said out load, burgundy on tasting it. Beautiful, a real La Morra feel to it, which is where the fruit is grown.
Luckily for me I brought some from the winery this morning. It around the same price before a small quantity discount.
Yes it’s a lovely Barolo trip.

Another light(ish) red worth trying is Mondeuse. Both of these are great:

There’s something quite wild and spicy about this grape which I really like! :+1:

I haven’t tried the 2017 but normally this is very good for the price (particularly for Burgundy).

She has chosen… wisely :+1:t2:

We started opening these this weekend so thought I’d report back.

The Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2018 was just as good as I expected. Is this the best value red on the site? My note:

Really great - lovely crunchy raspberry fruit, moving into black cherry on the finish, with juicy red apple. A touch of sweetness keeps it all in balance. Tannins are fine and fuzzy. Immensely drinkable, and sophisticated in a completely unpretentious fashion.

This one Moric Hausmarke Red 2017 wasn’t quite as much of a smash hit, but still went down really well

Blend of blaufränkisch, zweigelt and pinot noir. Rustic, but in an attractive way, with tangy fruit. Has some of the refreshing food-friendly quality of a heavier-style Beaujolais.

I thought this posting was about reds £10-£20.