01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Light Strike

Thought I would share this tweet from Brad Greatrix of Nyetimber as I found the experiment interesting and also worrying. I can totally relate to light strike in rosé wines as its quite distinctive but it’s not something I generally look out for.
I would be interested also to see the video which has yet to be loaded, once it ihas been I’ll share.

Wow. This is fascinating - and worrying in equal measures! :thinking:
Thanks for sharing, @Leah.

Fascinating article. Thanks @Leah!

For my friend here (I totally know what it is) can someone explain what Light Strike is?

All relates to amino acids @tom, however the effects are negated if you drink the wine quickly.

Well of course! But for the benefit of my friend, explained here:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/the-increasing-problem-of-lightstrike

Always wondered what ‘sewage’ tasted like! :dizzy_face:

I also read this article yesterday and can confidently say I have tasted sewage in wine :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

Worth noting that we have specifically installed UV film on the showroom windows to avoid issues with light strike on any bottles being stocked.

Excellent @M1tch. I’m tempted to post a photo of my local wine bar/deli with how they store their wines :weary:

Bottle glass colour mades a difference, issue is with clear glass bottles that don’t really cut out any UV - its why Cristal champagne is wrapped in that yellow film to protect the wine owing to the clear bottle.

Clear bottles are the worst, but all bottles will let in some damaging light - short wavelength blue and UV…

To be safe, keep bottles in the dark. And certainly out of bright or direct sunlight.

There are some truly HORRIBLE examples of bad storage in shops - I was in M&S in Leeds and there was some Hautes-Côtes de Beaune in a high shelf, under some really harsh lighting. The bottles were warm to the touch. Pretty much everything wrong about how to store a decent wine. Of course it was stored upright.

I’ve heard of restaurants where really expensive bottles were stored, upright, in a glass case, under little spotlights, to show them off…

Shudder

There is also the example of one of the infamous Jefferson bottles which was put on display, upright, in a glass case under bright lights without temperature and humidity control. Regardless of whether its claimed provenance was correct it was clearly old and after a short time the cork duly dried up and dropped into the wine.

There’s really no need for this as suppliers will often offer empty sealed bottles for the sole purpose of display :wink:.

Leah is right. I was alarmed one day last summer to see a bottle of Ruinart Champagne, in a clear glass bottle, sitting on the sill of a south-facing window of my local. On mentioning it to the barman, he picked it up and showed the back label to me (saying “Do not Drink - Display Only” on it). It also contained - for uncertain reasons - a hexagonal steel threaded nut!

There are plenty more display bottles around if you look for them. I found a display magnum of Ch. Latour a couple of weeks ago.

Quite a good book I thought…

…all my wine comes from a dark place. :exploding_head:

something, something ‘come to the dark side, Luke’.

Thanks Tom, an interesting article…and of course great to be reminded of that brilliant scene in Fawlty Towers

Weekend drinking thread [03-06 May 2019]