01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Let's talk about "Sekt" baby

I don’t know how many times discussions have turned to Sekt and the lack of in general on our shores. Probably mainly because the Germans keep 90% for themselves.
I am looking to get hold of all levels of Sekt.
So that includes Sekt, Deutscher Sekt, Deutscher Sekt BA and Winzersekt.
I’m probably happy to drop the most basic if needs be but does anyone know where or who stocks these?
I used to buy some via Enotria but even they have stopped stocking them now. All suggestions greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

Have you tried The Wine Barn, @Leah?

They have a really good range - though have only ever contemplated buying from them, rather than actually completed a purchase! :smiley:

5 Likes

Found this have no idea what Sekt is. Didn’t click through. Hope its of use:-

Give one of these a stunning Sekts a try:

2 Likes

Thanks @Inbar, some of those pricings are eye watering :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:
Thanks to @japcraw, I’ll have a look at some of these too.

1 Like

Hence why I am yet to complete a purchase… :slight_smile:

I tend to get my Sekt piecemeal - if that’s the right word - whenever there is a local merchant that sells them (in the past have bought from Butler’s and Ten Green Bottles, both in Brighton). Alpine Wines sometimes have Sekt, but usually from Austria rather than Germany.

1 Like

The Winery sell these. Normally have a rotating stock. Some have been fabulous, some just ‘nice’ (sorry, can’t remember specifics)

4 Likes

I’ve bought some Sekt from the Winery, but really only treated them as a drop-in wine merchant - I don’t think they’re really set up for mail order, but their website says they’ll do it at a cost. Not the cheapest (https://www.thewineryuk.com).

Howard Ripley don’t have much, but what they do is likely to be pretty good (I like Peter Lauer in particular). If you email them they’d probably put together a mixed pack of what they have.

Wouldn’t your normal approach be to order from Germany? Or has Brexit struck?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had some pretty astonishing sekt from Peter Lauer via Howard Ripley, and they were willing to include single bottles in with an order of a case of kabinett (I think they had a case already split, don’t think they’d always do that)

2 Likes

Preferably, know anyone??

I’ve never actually ordered wine from Germany, but have heard of Lobenberg’s (can’t remember precisely what, but don’t think it was bad).

Lidl apparently! https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/sparkling-wine/deidesheim-riesling/p27749

Martin Conrad, Brauneburg

We have bought direct before. Payment ended up being us ringing up and paying by credit card over the phone as other ways too costly. He speaks good English.

2 Likes

A German colleague once gave me a glass of cheap hock run through a soda stream. It was actually pretty OK (and a lot better than it was pre-soda streamed!). That’s the closest to Sekt I’ve ever actually had.

6 Likes

Thanks @JayKay and @NW_passenger :+1:

1 Like

We’ve been on a lot of Viking River cruises and their house sparkling wine is Sekt.

But it’s not Brut , its quite sweet and although I love sparkling wines, I no longer drink this one.

Looking at the prices above I see no reason to seek out Sekt when good sparklers from England, South Africa, Spain, France and - yes - Champagne - are available at comparable or cheaper prices.

But, like everything to do with wine, it’s a matter of taste and choice.

1 Like

I can’t believe this topic isn’t called Let’s talk about Sekt!

8 Likes

I don’t know the question, but Sekt is definitely the answer.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t normally, but i need to be able to identify it in a blind tasting for my Dip WSET so needs must unfortunately.

Fabulous!! I’m changing it :joy:

4 Likes

I haven’t got much useful to contribute except to say this might be the best topic title we’ve had all year! :rofl:

5 Likes

Best of luck!

I don’t see how that’s possible when Sekt can be made from any grape variety or blend, be red, white or pink, from juice imported from Italy, France or etc, and/or any region in Germany by the Charmat or Traditional methods and can range from totally dry to sweet.

Unlike Prosecco which must be based on Glera and grown in a specific region, and Champagne which has a limited range of grapes, grown in a specific region made by the Traditional method.

Phew, identifying one glass of fizz as not being any of the many multitude of alternatives, but German Sekt?

How?

1 Like