01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Lebanon. Ch. Musar

Will my bottle of 1972 Musar be drinkable - or vinegar?

2 Likes

Well, it’s rated as a good vintage and there’s plenty of good notes on cellartracker.
Musar ages very well, I’d be looking forward to it, if it were mine.

1 Like

Only one way to find out and that’s to open it. And why not do so at the Support Lebanon tasting evening, when there will doubtless be other vintages of Musar to compare notes with:

5 Likes

As said above, only one way to find out.

I’d guess that as long as it’s been stored reasonably carefully then it should be more than fine and probably great.

Here’s what their own website says

5 Likes

I have some Domaine des Tourelles Vieilles Vignes Cinsault, Massaya Le Colombier 2018, Hochar 2017 arriving this week. I already have some Chateau Ksara 2016. Can you tell me which wines will be tasting on the 10th, and there was mention of food suggestions too!
DS

2 Likes

The September tasting is an open tasting. No specific wines just a social online get together drinking any Lebanese wines, young or old. Very relaxed format and maybe pick up some pointers to interesting wines you’ve not tried. If I can make it I will probably be opening a Musar, but might be tempted by something like a Sendiana instead.

2 Likes

I have 1998 and 2006 vintage of C. Musar. I need to make a decision if to drink them within the next 1-2 or two or send them off to professional storage as I am running out of space. 1998 is probably the oldest bottle of wine in my cellar. Thoughts appreciated!

1 Like

"This was the wine Serge chose for his last hours"

That’s a bit daunting…good luck!

3 Likes

Hi @pred02, the 1998 is drinking beautifully now and I think that it is probably at its peak. I found it very Port like. The 2006 is still relatively young and was, I think, a late release. It is a lovely, refined wine, reminiscent of a very good Left Bank Bordeaux and has the potential to develop for many years, I believe. For what it’s worth, the 1998 and 2006 are my favourite Musars from the past twenty-five years, so hope you enjoy them too.

2 Likes

JR gives the 1998 2012-2030. The 2006 was apparently very slow to open and so wasn’t released until 2017 (Musar is usually released at 7 years old) and is given, again by JR, 2020-2040.

Personally I would give the '06 a fair bit longer yet, but I would happily (:smiley: !!) drink the '98 now.

3 Likes

Thank you. The 1998 is a special bottle may save it a few years or keep it. 2006 is going in the cellar.

2 Likes