01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Laying down cheap(er) wine

To add to others’ suggestions - wines from Côtes du Marmandais is another example. TWS often stocks wines from Château de Beaulieu, which are a blend of traditional Bordeaux grapes with Syrah.

2 Likes

Thanks all, fantastic advice as always! Very pleased to see that I’m not barking up totally the wrong tree.

@Taffy-on-Tour i think it was actually a post on the midweek drinking thread re Guigal that got me thinking about this! So good to see that get a second vote of confidence.

Also very happy to see a few of my existing favourite styles being suggested as being ageworthy (@. I have recently had a bottle each of the following three and was very impressed by the depth and complexity already.

Dominique Piron Morgon cote du Py 2018 Domaine Dominique Piron, Morgon Côte du Py 2018
Thymiopolous Noussa Xinomavro 2018 Xinomavro Naoussa, Thymiopoulos 2018
Martin Wassmer Spatburgunder Spätburgunder, Markgräflerland, Martin Wassmer 2018

Storage is the main spanner in the works I think, my current option is the classic cupboard under the stairs. The temperature is actually fairly stable around low-mid teens, but does get up to the twenties on the hottest days, so not ideal. Worth a punt on storing something not too precious there or best to just bung anything I want to age in reserves? As @Brocklehurstj points out it’s not a massive premium if you enjoy it. The other obvious benefit being fewer questions from my partner about quite how much wine I’m buying….:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I had a realisation yesterday that TOH simply may not believe my ‘free wine’ explanation when I start reversing the flow of wines out of reserves in the future. We may be merely kicking the can down the road.

3 Likes

I think it’s widely accepted that higher temperatures will age wine more quickly, so this might be a plus for your preferred drinking maturity.

If you were really curious to see how true this is, you could store some in the cupboard under the stairs and some from the same case at TWS… Come back to us in 4 years?

3 Likes

In the old days Syrah was included in Bordeaux wines though not allowed now. Chateau de Beaulieu which is just outside Bordeaux area and has been sold by TWS in the past still do this with a blend of Cab S, Merlot, Syrah, Malbec and Cab F.

Oops just noticed @Inbar beat me to this one :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@DrDave

One that I forgot to mention was:

Pataille Bourgogne.
From the 2019 Burgundy Offer this was only £70 EP per 6 or £16.60 DP.
Pataille is very much respected and this is his entry level wine which gets great reviews.
Ogier La Rosine, is of the same dap.
Great winemakers giving fabulous value!! :+1: :dragon:

I do like that about TWS. I managed to nab a 2009 Faugeres and Madiran earlier in the year. The Madiran is still available by the looks of it (Madiran, Domaine Pichard 2009), although some mixed reviews of late so it will be interesting to see how it’s drinking now.

Agreed, until recently I have to admit I was guilty of the impression that Beaujolais was bad when young and then got worse! That is until a couple of Morgon’s with a few years on them came my way, delicious. Although maybe it’s that impression that keeps the price down…we should keep quiet :wink:

That sounds like the kind of experiment I can get on board with! And I should probably get a few bottles of each to try now so I really know how it has evolved in the intervening years

2 Likes

Never mind 2009; I picked up one of these in July - https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/madiran-cuvee-auguste-vigneau-domaine-pichard-2004. Not had it yet but looking forward to it. As well as a couple of these at about the same time - Château Batailley, Pauillac 2003.

1 Like

Going to be testing this theory out tonight with a 2014 Burgaud Morgon cote du py. I remember finding it interesting but a bit all over the place as a young wine, curious to see the development

4 Likes

In a not writing off EP type way, the current Zorzal offer comes in at £12.68 a bottle after taxes, and based on their wines in general and previous years, will be excellent and well worth a punt.

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous! Far more complex and refined than I remember the bottle I drank 2 years ago being - a very strong argument for cellaring Morgon

4 Likes

Definitely in the punt price range! Do you know anything about that cuvée? Struggling to find much about it online. I’ve had their basic garnacha and wasn’t blown away.

I don’t, but if it is anything like this, that I tried and enjoyed very much recently, I’ll be a happy bunny

2 Likes

Surprised no one has mentioned maybe my favourite cheaper TWS wine for further ageing, nanely the Alvolo Aglianico de Vulture.

Rioja (as already mentioned) is a surefire hit, as are most Portuguese reds. I don’t like most Rhone wines much, but ditto. Madiran and Cahors both age effortlessly, but again you have to like what they become!

For white pretty much any Chenin hits the spot. If you actually like that particular spot :slight_smile: Many others too… Riesling of course, and Furmint too.

I’d only really call it ageing if it can be usefully aged for a decade. Obviously practically everything red and most whites can benefit from five years, say.

Having said that, I think many of us start off thinking older is better. As I’ve implied above, as you get more info wine over the years you come to realize that you don’t necessarily prefer what these wines become, and that age isn’t always a virtue.

10 Likes

I opened a bottle of the 2017 the other day, much too soon!

1 Like

I’m still on the 2001 :grinning:

1 Like

@CCouzens i was very grateful for that advice. I was contemplating opening one of mine but have subsequently moved the start drinking date in my Cellar Tracker spreadsheet out another few years.

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll find much information. I seem to recall that this is from a small new plot recently acquired by Zorzal and that last year’s EP was the first vintage from it. I also have a vague memory that TWS secured most if not all of the bottles from it. If, as is quite possible, I’m misremembering then I’m sure someone will correct me! :smiley:

3 Likes

I used to keep very good Moulin a Vent (and others) for maybe 5 years post vintage, with the hope that it would morph into a half decent bottle of PN flavoured wine.
But I forgot, all about it all. Doh!! :open_mouth: :wink:
These are some of the bottles I think that I have got squirreled away - somewhere??
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/fleurie-grille-midi-jean-paul-brun-2013

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/moulin-a-vent-la-roche-chateau-des-jacques-louis-jadot-2006

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/domaine-louis-boillot-moulin-a-vent-vieilles-vignes-2014

Clueless, as to what might have developed; but once I find them - it could be interesting.
If anyone has experience of extended cellaring Beaujolais, I would be delighted to hear. :dragon:

1 Like