01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Latest TiW: Joanna Locke MW visits Portugal

tiw
portugal

The latest in our Travels in Wine Spotlight series comes from Portugal, with Joanna Locke MW visiting both Porto and Lisbon to take part in Portugal’s leading wine tasting events for consumers and trade.

If you are planning on heading to Portugal this summer, do read up on some of the fabulous producers that The Society works with and maybe consider visiting them if you are passing through the Minho in the North or the Dao and Bairrada regions further to the South. We would love to have your thoughts on the wines and the experiences too.

If you have already been to these regions then PLEASE share your tips and suggestions in this thread for great hotels, restaurants and places to visit as the members of The Wine Society must have unparalleled experience to share.

I do love Portugal, Stunning landscapes, friendly people and delicious wine!

It’s worth noting that there is a section on the website which has some contact details for some of the producers that are open to visits - always best to check before heading out though!

Would very much like to draw members’ attention to Morgadio da Calcada in Provesende in the Upper Douro. A delightfully peaceful place to stay and where the the host Manuel Villas Boas has a cellar full of his estate wines made in conjunction with Dirk NIepoort. Amidst all the port and red wine, it was the white wines made from grapes of which I had not heard that were the revelation.

Do you have a link we can visit?

Here is a link to their website…http://www.morgadiodacalcada.com/en/

Taking the train from Porto to Pinhao is highly recommended.

I agree, when I was in the Douro we drove from Porto right into the north and then further in, we finished at Bonfim in Pinhao which I believe is the last stop - really breathtaking landscape.