01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Latest Showroom treats

I don’t know how many of you are close enough to Stevenage to have been able to pop into the Showroom at all, but if you have, you will know that there are several ways to discover great wines there.

One of these are the Enomatic machines where you can taste a selection of wines, including some fine wines. There are also shelves with display materials and also some exclusive goodies and bin-ends.

I popped down this afternoon for a little look and I thought I would share a couple of my discoveries.

From the Enomatic:

I have actually bought this wine before myself, and loved it.
Smoky, toasty, vanillin and maybe a little salty black liquorice on the nose. Amazing combination of opulence and richness from the vanilla and cream, but crisp, grassy freshness too. There’s definitely a romance going on with the finer wood here, but the individuality and personality of the wine itself is not wooden at all. Delicious indeed.

On display:

I’ve read about this Bag-in-Box launch but not bought it to try it, but I was really pleasantly surprised. Fresh, crisp and citrussy, but finishing with that classic dry, almost lemon pith note you get on classic Italian whites. Very drinkable and great value. Could be a fun experiment to keep in the fridge and see how long it lasts.

On offer:
The Society’s Cotes de Bordeaux, 2012

Not enough stock to list on the site, so a small bin-end from the showroom only. Very appealing, approachable nose - dark fruit compote and pencil lead, and that classic dryness you immediately get in the mouth, but from which a bowl of forest fruit slowly seems to emerge as it lingers on your tongue.